A question on the 'pro-rata' share rule.

Is there any reason they'd log it as SIC over PIC?
Not one I can think of. In some quarters, PIC time means a job. That's why many new CFIs are using it for time building. The PIC time offered by the regs to a CFI on any instructional flight - even when not acting as =any= required crewmember - is generally far more valuable than the any SIC time in a one-person airplane.

Yeah I didn't think a safety pilot was a required crewmember because at any time the PIC can take the hood off. (In case the safety pilot has a heart attack or whatever).

<---<^>--->

The purpose of the safety pilot is not PIC incapacity, it's fulfilling the requirement that you see-and-avoid. While hooded, the pilot flying cannot see-and-avoid traffic, thus the requirement for a suitably qualified crew-member to do it.

Right. In my scenario (student under the hood) they're required to be there. Whether they log it as PIC or SIC (or don't bother logging it at all) they also require a medical. Is there any reason they'd log it as SIC over PIC? I don't really see a reason them to do that, but it's their call.
I can't think of any reason an instructor would log time giving flight training while also acting as a 91.109 safety pilot as SIC time, but you never can tell. However, regardless of how many people are logging PIC time (and I can easily think of a scenario* in this situation where three could be logging PIC time at once), there is never more than one person acting as PIC.

*Scenario: Hooded pilot rated but not legal to act as PIC, logs PIC as sole manipulator - 61.51(e)(1)(i). Instructor with no medical sitting in back giving training, logs PIC as instructor giving training - 61.51(e)(3). Safety pilot acting as PIC, logs PIC as PIC when two pilots are required - 61.51(e)(1)(iii).

Last edited:
I can't think of any reason an instructor would log time giving flight training while also acting as a 91.109 safety pilot as SIC time, but you never can tell. However, regardless of how many people are logging PIC time (and I can easily think of a scenario* in this situation where three could be logging PIC time at once), there is never more than one person acting as PIC.

*Scenario: Hooded pilot rated but not legal to act as PIC, logs PIC as sole manipulator - 61.51(e)(1)(i). Instructor with no medical sitting in back giving training, logs PIC as instructor giving training - 61.51(e)(3). Safety pilot acting as PIC, logs PIC as PIC when two pilots are required - 61.51(e)(1)(iii).

Yep, totally understand. Also have seen at least a few court cases after the crash that didn't care one whit who said they were logging PIC, and awarded damages out of everyone's butt who was pilot-rated and sitting in a seat with operating controls.

PIC to the lawyers is just semantics. Only the FAA cares. That's why I find all the convoluted rules entertaining. We talk and talk and talk about them, and in the end, the jury says "all those idiots who should have known better, are going to pay the family who owned the house they crashed into, for being stupid".

Yep, totally understand. Also have seen at least a few court cases after the crash that didn't care one whit who said they were logging PIC, and awarded damages out of everyone's butt who was pilot-rated and sitting in a seat with operating controls.
Or not even a pilot -- look up Newberger v Pokrass. The poor schlub in the right seat wasn't a pilot, and wasn't even awake, but still got hit for contributory negligence.

Originally Posted by kimberlyanne546
I never knew about that website. Seems interesting though there are two "out of medical" people posting to be safety pilots and wanting to get back into flying on there. I thought you had to be a "legal" pilot (including current medical) to act as a safety pilot?

Well, kind of... for example, you may not have had your flight review in 24 months, making you ineligible for PIC, but you can still act as a safety pilot.

Are there any rules about what we can charge for in flight snacks?
Not really but I don't think that charging a passenger $500 for a can of pop would pass the FAA's duck test.

Not really but I don't think that charging a passenger $500 for a can of pop would pass the FAA's duck test.

Ha! I was just getting ready to reply with "Quack."""

First off, CONGRATS!! Regarding the prorata share - I'm in the same boat. 17 years old, no job, and my parents are paying for my flying. If they are already funding your flying then they can't really pay anything else. With your friends, if it is you and a friend the most your friend can pay is half. If you are with 2 friends then you pay 1/3 and your friends pay 1/3 and so on. I heard somewhere that as long as you pay your prorata share that the pax can divide it amongst themselves as they wished.

No worries taking mom, dad, sibs for a ride with mom/dad paying. They pay it all already anyway. I think as a minor any FAA attorney will just turn this one over to the circular file if someone calls in a complaint, which is the only way you get busted to begin with. As for friends, you'll be renting wet so it's simple. Cost of rental/people onboard=pro rata. If you always use that formula with you as one of the people in the equation you will always be clearly in the 'white zone'.

Give it time. Someone will be along shortly and cite "case law" and how the General Counsel feels about the difference between Doritos or peanuts.

Not FAA but USCG under basically the same set of regulations only stricter (no pro rata on boats) of requiring a commercial grade license for compensation. There the USCG ruled that even food and drinks had to be provided by the owner/principal. Of course if your buddy brings the food and drinks, the likelihood of you taking a bust for it is exactly '0', same as if your buddies pay for renting the plane.

No but seriously what's it mean? "If it quacks, its a duck." type deal?
From Wikipedia:
The duck test is a humorous term for a form of inductive reasoning. This is its usual expression:
“If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.”
The test implies that a person can identify an unknown subject by observing that subject's habitual characteristics. It is sometimes used to counter abstruse arguments that something is not what it appears to be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

Back