A pony-tailed pilot, his 414, and 30 dogs

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Congrats to Ted and Cloud 9 Rescue Flights for a successful first mission in the new to them 414! click to read blog entry

30 dogs! Wow! And Houston to New Hampshire! Kudos to you for what you do, Sir Ted!

13413147_10154335517062566_3578179609779791932_n.jpg

Pretty cool. Is have to fly above 15k to put those little guys to sleep!!

Good on ya Ted!

On a side note: Hmmmm Galaxy FBO / Black Walnut Cafe at Lone Star Exec! Yummy

I hope you had good noise attenuating headsets. I can't imagine the racket 30 dogs crammed into a small space would make.

First off, thanks for the kind words, everyone. There's been a lot of hard work and a lot of good fortune to get us where we are today. I've been flying dogs for close to 8 years now, starting in the Mooney, moving up to the Aztec, then the 310 (throw in a Navajo now and then) and now the 414. The 414 is the best dog hauler I've had so far by leaps and bounds, and at this point looks like it's also going to be the most economical (in terms of $/dog) because of how many we can stuff in there.

Pretty cool. Is have to fly above 15k to put those little guys to sleep!!

They slept less on this than they did in the 310. In the 310, typical altitudes with dogs were 9-11k. Here we flew at 13-17k, but with a cabin of about 3-6k.

+1 to Ted and +1 Twin Cessnas!

The 414 really impressed me with how great of a dog hauler it was. I had initially feared that the air stair door would be a hindrance, as it was on the Navajos. Not so on this plane. Because of its width, there's a small aisle between the crates that I can easily crawl up to the front with. A Navajo or 340 wouldn't work well at all, but this 414 works great (caveat: a Navajo with a crew door would alleviate this problem). Plus, the length of the plane is such that I also have room for a small cooler and more room to stretch. When flying 10+ hours in a day, that's important.

Glad to see you got the 414 up there Ted! It sounded like it was almost a long term project initially. =)

Oh, there's a long way to go still with the plane, but it will be a bunch of minor improvements and changes.

Good on ya Ted!

On a side note: Hmmmm Galaxy FBO / Black Walnut Cafe at Lone Star Exec! Yummy

Love the food there. I always get breakfast to eat in the plane.

I hope you had good noise attenuating headsets. I can't imagine the racket 30 dogs crammed into a small space would make.

They're quiet for the most part. The props on the 414 are much louder. Those old McCauley 3-bladers are as loud as they come. Upgraded props are on the list for this plane...

Last edited:
Congrats on the maiden voyage, Ted! :D Where in NH did you fly them to? Manchester? Nashua? Concord?

Congrats on the maiden voyage, Ted! :D Where in NH did you fly them to? Manchester? Nashua? Concord?

We made two stops and there were 4 groups that picked up dogs. Half of them deplaned in Nashua, the other half in Laconia. I (GASP!) flew VFR between Nashua and Laconia. Can you believe it? ;)

Hey, if the weather is nice, it's not worth it to file just to fly the 50-odd miles (if that) between KASH and KLCI - even in a 177 much less a 414. And minor detours around the MHT Charlie are always possible.

What FBO did you use at KASH?

Glad to see you got the 414 up there Ted! It sounded like it was almost a long term project initially. =)

I was under the impression the 414 was a "project plane" too, so great to see you've put it to work almost immediately Ted. BTW that paint is too glossy for a project plane in any case :D

I'm thinking now that ted has a pressurized cabin we should advise the dog groups collecting those dogs to feed them beans the day before the flight - lessee, 30 times a minute times a 4 hour flight. Hoo boyee.

I'm thinking now that ted has a pressurized cabin we should advise the dog groups collecting those dogs to feed them beans the day before the flight - lessee, 30 times a minute times a 4 hour flight. Hoo boyee.

Yup! Ted is going to need a bigger outflow valve. Err, the 414 is! :rolleyes:

That helps with lift, doesn't it? ;)

I was under the impression the 414 was a "project plane" too, so great to see you've put it to work almost immediately Ted. BTW that paint is too glossy for a project plane in any case :D

This plane really was a good find. The P&I are over 25 years old, but it's always been hangared and only seen under 100 hours of flying this millennium. As a result, it's very well preserved. Its last annual was 2012. I have no intentions of changing the P&I during my tenure caring for it.

Make no mistake, it's still a project, it's just not a basket case requiring a complete rebuild. Two engines that are around 25 years old, /A panel with the latest 1985 Bendix King radios and steam gauges, baffles are shot, plane is portly and in need of a diet... I've got a list. It's really a question of what I want to work on first and where I want to focus my efforts.

One thing that was a requirement for me was picking a plane that I thought I could get up and flying relatively quickly, and this was absolutely it. We spent about 6 hours getting it ready to ferry, and in reality we did a lot of work that we didn't need to do, but were good ideas to do anyway.

A requirement is that the dogs get their last food at 8 PM the night before the flight. This has varying degrees of success in preventing messes (which is the real goal). I did notice a decrease in airflow in the 414 for certain - uhh - smelly events. Also noticed it on takeoff - all that panting tends to fog up the windows, and it took a while for the humidity in the cabin to get down enough to dry it out. Obviously we wiped the windows down, but it was an interesting note.

That is one big feat, Ted, well done, sir.
I transport pups one or two at a time but this looks like a big load. How high did you stack them, to the ceiling?
Thanks for helping pups! :thumbsup:

Suppose a guy got his MEL. Had some free time and wanted to help out on a flight and maybe pay for some gas. Could he log a little 414 time on the a trip sometime?

That is one big feat, Ted, well done, sir.
I transport pups one or two at a time but this looks like a big load. How high did you stack them, to the ceiling?
Thanks for helping pups! :thumbsup:

Crates are typically stacked two high. If you check the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/cloudninerescueflights/

There's a picture in there that shows the view in-flight from the pilot's seat. Some of the smaller cages towards the back we did 3 high.

I think the next cage configuration will be better.

Suppose a guy got his MEL. Had some free time and wanted to help out on a flight and maybe pay for some gas. Could he log a little 414 time on the a trip sometime?

Yes. I frequently have co-pilots come along. Send me a PM if you're interested.

So when are we starting on your multi? :)

Since I'm an MEI, you don't need your MEL to log time. You just need it to log PIC.

Since I'm an MEI, you don't need your MEL to log time. You just need it to log PIC.
Wait.
I can log my first ME time as dual in a 414 with 30+ dogs in the back. Oh hell yeah.
Can I wear a cool white shirt with epaulets, sunglasses and eat all the cookies and popcorn at the FBO and return the crew car with a weird smell and no gas?
I can live out my dream of being a "freight dog" in Twin Cessna after all...

Ill have to get in touch and see whats going on in august or sept as I'm pretty well booked out with work.

Definitely interested in riding shotgun and helping the dogs out.

Also noticed it on takeoff - all that panting tends to fog up the windows, and it took a while for the humidity in the cabin to get down enough to dry it out. Obviously we wiped the windows down, but it was an interesting note.

Funny, have to get clearance for IMC INSIDE the airplane.

Waiting.

I can log my first ME time as dual in a 414 with 30+ dogs in the back. Oh hell yeah.

Yes.

Can I wear a cool white shirt with epaulets, sunglasses and eat all the cookies and popcorn at the FBO and return the crew car with a weird smell and no gas?

No. We don't spend long enough at any FBO to borrow the crew car, they don't have cookies and popcorn anyway, and usually we're off the ground again before anyone even notices we landed. This changes slightly with the 414 just because it takes longer to fill the tanks. Last weekend we stopped in at Ed's house for the night, so he did notice.

But you CAN wear a cool white shirt with as many epaulets as you want, and sunglasses. :)

That's dog freight, not freight dog. :D

Ill have to get in touch and see whats going on in august or sept as I'm pretty well booked out with work.

Sounds good! You know where to find me. :)

Funny, have to get clearance for IMC INSIDE the airplane.

On one flight we joked that we were taking off in fog so thick we couldn't see the instruments.

It was legitimately around 200-1/4 when we took off, so it was pretty low.

"He takes off in fog so thick he can't see his instruments. He is... the most interesting pilot in the world."

Stay proficient, my friends.

That is depressing! :eek:
Stories like this remind me of the huge cultural differences regarding attitudes towards dogs. I still remember how shocked I was to see (live and cooked) dogs for sale in South Korean food markets back in the early 80s. I assume it still goes on. I wonder if they're surprised at the lengths Americans will go to save a dog?

korea-21.jpg

In my experience of driving rescue dogs around (not flying) it's not the noise that's bad it's the smell. Virtually 100% of the time somebody decides they can't hold it and of course has a nuclear explosion in their kennel.

Wait.

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D:D

In my experience of driving rescue dogs around (not flying) it's not the noise that's bad it's the smell. Virtually 100% of the time somebody decides they can't hold it and of course has a nuclear explosion in their kennel.

Making their last meal at 8 PM the night before the flight helps quite a bit. The problem is that it's not 100% effective, and you also can't police it. A lot of fosters don't follow that rule, even though I make it clear to all of them. Plus puppies are just bad at "holding it" in general.

Stories like this remind me of the huge cultural differences regarding attitudes towards dogs. I still remember how shocked I was to see (live and cooked) dogs for sale in South Korean food markets back in the early 80s. I assume it still goes on. I wonder if they're surprised at the lengths Americans will go to save a dog?

I'm sure they think it's weird. There are plenty of people in the US (and even on this forum) who think it's weird, but of course you don't see people eating cats and dogs in this country (at least not commonly/publicly).

It's a cultural difference.

korea-21.jpg
I'm surprised at the length Americans goto to save a dog.

Back