A&P?

kalabaddon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kalabaddon
So I was a F16 crew chief as of 3 years 9 months ago, what might I need to do to get my A&P?

So I was a F16 crew chief as of 3 years 9 months ago, what might I need to do to get my A&P?

Take your last DD214 to the local FSDO show them to an inspector and see what they will give you. the Aviation NEC will usually get you the General test and either the airframes or the power plant test. then see what they want for the third test.

Rotor&wing. That link shows me as good for Airframe & Powerplant So I just have to take the tests or do I qualify for the A&P just from that?

You must take the tests, I recommend a brush up course first however.

Thanks Duncan, is there a primer or something I can study? I don't have time for any other classes, working full time and going to college full time for my Commercial license currently. can't even think of adding more classes right now :)

I used the ASA books for my A&P and their prepware software for my IA. Idea is more to study for the "knowledge" (written) tests and the FARs governing what you may do and how you may do it.

Ok, I found those study guides, will pick them up Thanks. For the Inspection Authorization I should just be able to test, right?

You must have documentation proving that you have training/experience in at least 50% of the areas listed in the Appendices of Part 147.

This is from the guidelines as used by the ASI at the FSDO -
http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch5,Sec2

part C(4) is what you are looking for in there.

A MOS or AFSC on its own does not guarantee compliance with 8900.

I just recently went through this whole procedure and its no big deal nor is it hard to do but (always a but) you must have good documentation !

PS - if you want to buy some used 2014 ASA test prep books, let me know :)

EDIT - for IA you must have A&P for 5 years (IIRC) before you can apply.

IA

There are minimum requirements to become an IA. These requirements can be found in FAR 65.91. To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must:

1. Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;
  2. Have been actively engaged, for at least the last 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with the FARs;
  3. Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;
  4. Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and
  5. Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under Part 43 of the FARs.

Ok, so IA might have to wait a long bit :)

Jaybee.... you already have used 2014 books ? that was quick :) I might hit you up on it, let me find all my training documents and talk to FSDO to see what I need or do not need.

After you meet the requirements to hold the IA then you need authorization from the FAA to take the exam.

Yes, I literally just did this :D

and for documentation, thats not that big of a deal either. I just wrote up a quasi-resume listing all the different tasks I completed then cross referenced them to the Appendices in 147. The Appendices also spell out to what level of learning you have to achieve, which in most cases, your tech school will suffice.

Ok, so IA might have to wait a long bit :)

Jaybee.... you already have used 2014 books ? that was quick :) I might hit you up on it, let me find all my training documents and talk to FSDO to see what I need or do not need.

Yeah IA is just based on time as an A&P so you are looking at 3 years from the time you get both certificates. You also (as noted before) have to have worked for the last two and the FAA's opinion is that you must be more or less a professional to meet that.

The study guides will get you through the written tests but you'll also have to do the oral/practical. It's not that tough but he's going to want to see you time a magneto, maybe install a prop and a few other things you never did on an F16. So if you're not familiar with GA you might want to hook up with an A&P and at least get some general familiarization from him.

Asa Prepware for the writtens.

Jepp for the orals but it depends on the DME. The FAA orals aren't published. The Quizlet app also has some good orals.

I did part 147 school. It took me 14hrs for my general and airframe practical and 4 for the PowerPlant. All exactly to the pts.

It has been tough for me to find work though. Your experience can help that.

The study guides will get you through the written tests but you'll also have to do the oral/practical. It's not that tough but he's going to want to see you time a magneto, maybe install a prop and a few other things you never did on an F16. So if you're not familiar with GA you might want to hook up with an A&P and at least get some general familiarization from him.

The ASA study guides include written test questions as well as an oral and practical study guide.

On my test the oral questions were straight out of the written though not verbatim. In other words if you can pass the written the oral was piece of cake.

As far as the practical goes, ALL reference material is provided right along side the task you are given to complete. For example -
  • If you are asked to see if an AC applies to a propellor, than the AC is right there to look at with specific instructions on how to comply with the AC
  • If you are asked to remove and install a propellor, again there is a book right there with instructions
The biggest thing is, take your time. Make double sure and then make sure again. IMHO it was super easy.

Hey welcome brother. I was a 16 crew chief as well. I got signed off to take both tests by presenting my 623's, but I also used my GI Bill to take an Airframe course because it teaches you all the stuff that we didn't deal with a lot. Like sheet metal and such. It's a great knowledge and skills builder.

Back