A&P School Frustration

Not to belittle boat and auto mechanics, but underlying fact patterns of some areas of aircraft maint are critically different than in autos and boats.

It works both ways too. I worked overhaul sheetmetal at the wings of man (Eastern Airlines) for a couple years. OK after going back to college and getting a part time job with an electrical control manufacturer, they needed some sheet metal done.

I offered to do it. When I looked around they had no tools, I didn't see how to make any progress. Eventually one of their techs there showed me how they do it.

OK, I never even imagined working with metal the way he did. His methods were completely unacceptable for aircraft.

My methods took tools and time. The difference; in a high vibration enviroment where the strength of the finished work is paramount, everything he did was un-sat.

To make a few safety guards to keep fingers and tools out of machinery, it didn't matter. You can't score aircraft metal for folding.

Most good techs can learn both sets of rules, but it takes time and experience to develop that judgement.

Last edited:
On the contrary, the math course is absolutely critical. Afterall, being able to write up the invoice for billing is the most important aspect of being an A&P!
Very much agree how important math is. Frustrates me to no end how slow some of today's kids working as a cashier are in figuring out my change, especially when I hand them a non-standard amount I have already figured comes out to a $5 or $10 bill. The kids can't come up with the answer without consulting the screen.

Back