A nifty project

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
I recently completed a nifty little project that someone on this forum might be interested in.

I was driving down the road and I saw someone throwing out an old console style radio. It turns out it was a Farnsworth Model GK-111, made in 1947. Well, I couldn’t let the thing go to the landfill, so I quickly put it in the back of my truck and took it home.

I really didn’t know what I was going to do with it. It was an AM/FM set, with a turntable, but restoring it didn’t really seem like an option. The AM band was OK, but the FM band was 200 to 300. Now, this may indicate the center frequencies (200 = 87.9 Mhz, 300 = 107.9), but I didn’t know that at the time, and still don’t know. The turntable was 78 rpm only.

So, restored, I’d have an AM radio, an FM radio that might not pick up any current FM broadcasts, and an old record player that only played 78 RPM records. Not what I really wanted to spend time restoring.

The radio cabinet and dial looked surprisingly good, however, so I decided to see what else I could come up with. What I decided to do was to remove the radio “guts”, the speaker, and the turntable. I put a piece of wood in the floor of the turntable “drawer”, so now it was just that – a drawer. I bought a Bluetooth amplifier/speaker kit and installed it in the place of the radio “guts” and speaker. I also selected two of the old knobs to “work” – one turns on the amp, the other is volume control. The kit also came with LEDs that connect to the circuit board that allowed me to light up the radio dial when the unit was on. The Bluetooth amp & speaker kit was only $60.

So, at the end of the day, I have what I think is a pretty cool piece of “retro” furniture that I can play anything I want to, right out of my phone! The sound quality is really good, too!

The original intent was to give it to my son & daughter-in-law for Christmas, but after I got is assembled and turned it on, my wife said “If they don’t want it, I do!”

They wanted it, so now I have to find another “restoration candidate.”

PS – I know what I did may anger some “purists” out there.

Attachments

• radio 1.JPG
    radio 1.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Radio 2.JPG
    Radio 2.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 95
So you did a "RestoMod" on an old console! It's been done before, certainly. I'd not do any real hacking on the cabinet, and save what you took out, but I'm all for this sort of thing.

Yeah, I didn't realize that early FM used "channels" instead of frequencies. Oh. well, what's done is done. I kept the radio and antenna, so it may become a future project. I'm getting another one this weekend to make for myself (actually my wife!)

I went even older school.

There's a thing called a "surface transducer" that can change any large object into a speaker. It's designed to attach to windows to turn the entire pane into a speaker.

I've got an Edison phonograph (wax disks). I attach a transducer to the cone, and plug the other end into my phone to play music over it. I've got a bunch of MP3s of WWI-era music. It's pretty effective!

Unfortunately, though, I couldn't fit it in the airplane....
edison.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

I've got an old RCA Model 5T in my house that hasn't been powered in several decades. I need to find a variable AC power supply and check it out. Worked fine the last time I know it was turned on, but that was in the late 1960s. AM plus short wave up to about 6 MHz (IIRC). The only other one I've seen is in the museum on the Queen Mary (along with a Zenith Transoceanic identical to one my dad gave to the flea market at church a number of years ago).

I've got an old RCA Model 5T in my house that hasn't been powered in several decades. I need to find a variable AC power supply and check it out
Using a variable power supply is one way to do it, but you can probably just remove the tubes and test them (good luck with that - I have to drive about 45 minutes one way to get to the nearest tube tester I know of) and replace any bad ones. There are online sources for tubes, but they can get pretty spendy. The next thing you'll want to do is replace all the paper capacitors - they get bad over time and can damage or ruin your transformer. Usually that will solve 90% of the problems, and you can fire it up on commercial power.

Using a variable power supply is one way to do it, but you can probably just remove the tubes and test them (good luck with that - I have to drive about 45 minutes one way to get to the nearest tube tester I know of) and replace any bad ones. There are online sources for tubes, but they can get pretty spendy. The next thing you'll want to do is replace all the paper capacitors - they get bad over time and can damage or ruin your transformer. Usually that will solve 90% of the problems, and you can fire it up on commercial power.

That's the reason for the variable AC supply - to bring it up gently in case any of the capacitors are bad. Really don't want to wipe out any inductors, the speaker uses a power transformer in its design, and I'm sure those are made of unobtainium this days. :D

Yes, I've gone the variable power supply route as well. I'm just saying that if you have known good tubes and replace the old paper caps, your risk of cooking something is substantially reduced.

Sweet.
Now imagine the surprise on your guests' faces when you say "Hey Siri, play Glenn Miller" and the tunes start blasting out of this box. :D

~30 years ago, I took the big radio in the center this picture and gutted it. I disassembled an old vacuum-tube AM radio and stuffed the innards inside, with the tuning capacitor connected to the crank handle, the volume control connected to the "AM Gain" knob, and the power switch connected.
ronspanel.jpg

Would be more fun to do a Siri/Google mod, now.

I used to collect/repair old jukeboxes, from tube 78's up into the CD era... on the tube machines when I went buying, the first question I would ask was "Have you plugged it in?" and if the answer was yes, my offer went down by half. When the caps go bad, the final tube current runs away, and it's a race to see if the tube plates melt before the output transformers do... or the power transformer if there's a .22 shell where the original fuse should have been. Once you let the smoke out.... *sigh*

Back