A New Meaning To Sticker Shock

I’m disappointed Mercedes sold this off and took it out of the public’s eye. We’re going over in September and was looking forward to seeing it again.

Not sure the museum is even worth visiting now even considering it’s the best in the world for a car maker.

A couple have traded at ~$7M lately, IIRC.

I think if I had a car worth $143m I would not have people climbing in and out of it.

Here's a list from last August of the top 20 most expensive cars sold at auction. This MB is almost $100m more than the #1 car on this list.

If you hate Ferraris, don't click here.

I had a high school friend who never matured in his business sense. He inherited a large cash flow, not the asset behind it, which was held in trust. His parents knew their only child well.

One of the times that I bumped into him, he had a Gull Wing Mercedes. Before I had an opportunity to get a ride in it, he sold it so he could get the then popular, just introduced, Dodge Street Eliminator. I asked why he sold the Gull Wing, and he explained that he only had 3 spaces in his garage, and that car was the only one he could sell at a profit!

The other two cars were a Corvette with a Roots supercharger through the hood, and a recent, bought new, Alpha Spyder. He found about a car a year that he could not live without.

A ride in his Gull Wing would have been a Spartan one, as it had been an active racer, and the required passenger seat added about 5 pounds to the total of the car.

My fleet at that time was a '60 Chevrolet 2 door V8, bought new, and a '56 Chevrolet pick up truck, 6 cylinder, 3rd hand.

A 10% interest in a series of Cessna's was my link to speed.

EDITED to add:
Bought a Taurus SHO in 1989, capable of 144 in 4th gear and a 5 speed manual. Most of the suspension and drive train was special, and handling excellent at all speeds. Loved that car, much better in every way than my Mustang 5 liter GT. The SHO was an ultimate sleeper, the most distinctive feature was lower road clearance, who notices that? Never lost a race, to any speed.

Last edited:
Ultimately, my life would be void of any, and all politics.
A life filled with calmness, peace, joy, politicians leaving me alone, and for that matter all government employees to, that is a good life.

I’m disappointed Mercedes sold this off and took it out of the public’s eye. We’re going over in September and was looking forward to seeing it again.

Not sure the museum is even worth visiting now even considering it’s the best in the world for a car maker.

A couple have traded at ~$7M lately, IIRC.

Part of the sale agreement was that the owner needs to make this available for display.. but I think they still have another one.

It is one awesome museum and funny how MBZ still hold the record on aircraft engines... which Dieter and Manfred over in Munich will disagree with them on this..

https://data.system360gmbh.de/vrs_tour/mbm_museum/index.html

Yup, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on ALL of the things I want, combined.

I would be torn between buying all new farm equipment, and building a new home here on the farm, or selling it all, and buying a home beside a lake, if I had a spare 143 million. Be really tempting to sell the farm, and move.

I would be torn between buying all new farm equipment, and building a new home here on the farm, or selling it all, and buying a home beside a lake, if I had a spare 143 million. Be really tempting to sell the farm, and move.
I could buy land for a private airstrip, build my dream home, a lake property, several cars, planes, and boats, and still enough money left over to live off of the interest for life. Granted I don't have a desire to own a 10K sq ft estate in the Poconos, Mega Yachts, or Falcon 8X aircraft.

If it were me... Farm - what farm?

I wish we could have kept our family farm, but my parents took a pretty good hit in the recession in the 70's, it wasn't really a farm, more like an apple orchard, with horse boarding and training..

I was living in the Yukon, when my sister and bil suddenly passed away. I inhereted 1280 acres, cattle, horses, dogs, and a 2 year old daughter to raise. At the time I was 26, single, owned a small house, drove truck in the winter, and flew in the summer, occasionally helping my father with his gold mine as well. Overnight I became a mother, rancher, and part time trucker in central BC. The plan was to sell the ranch, and move back to the Yukon with my 2 year old daughter. Instead I learned to become a ranch owner, appreciate the land, animals, and what would become my new normal. Over the years I have purchased another 3840 acres, thinned the herd to just 20-30 head, got into mostly hay, married an amazing man who passed away in his sleep just over 10 years ago, and have a 20 year old daughter who drives truck, when not helping me out on the farm.
The original plan was to fly for a living and stay in the yukon. But plans change, so just go with it.

I was living in the Yukon, when my sister and bil suddenly passed away. I inhereted 1280 acres, cattle, horses, dogs, and a 2 year old daughter to raise. At the time I was 26, single, owned a small house, drove truck in the winter, and flew in the summer, occasionally helping my father with his gold mine as well. Overnight I became a mother, rancher, and part time trucker in central BC. The plan was to sell the ranch, and move back to the Yukon with my 2 year old daughter. Instead I learned to become a ranch owner, appreciate the land, animals, and what would become my new normal. Over the years I have purchased another 3840 acres, thinned the herd to just 20-30 head, got into mostly hay, married an amazing man who passed away in his sleep just over 10 years ago, and have a 20 year old daughter who drives truck, when not helping me out on the farm.
The original plan was to fly for a living and stay in the yukon. But plans change, so just go with it.
Wow, amazing story. You've probably already lived a lot more life than I will in my entire span. Thanks for sharing.

Off topic, but I used to often avoid planning things, because I didn't want to inhibit my flexibility. Someone finally pointed out to me that I was looking at plans incorrectly. Often the only thing holding you to a plan is your own perspective. So now, most of the time, I like to have things planned out, but I view those plans as just a suggestion. For things I'm doing, usually personal but also often work, I have a lot of flexibility in doing things the way I want. In that way, the plan actually makes it easier to improvise.

Ultimately, my life would be void of any, and all politics.
A life filled with calmness, peace, joy, politicians leaving me alone, and for that matter all government employees to, that is a good life.

That's the rub, isn't it?

Back