A new high

When we fixed a couple probes, we had to open the hot section and they were placed very precisely compared to a piston; still, I've sure there's some variation. Much better than a piston though.

Absolutely. The probes do go out, just not as often.

Yep, 1700 pound payload would be a lot of dogs (g). Might run into some constraints as to weight limits in certain sections of the plane. I can see the crates stacked on top of one another now!

That's what we do. However, your C90 would do a pretty poor job as a dog carrier. I'm sure this disappoints you! ;)

Cabin class planes in general don't work great, unless there's a crew door. You need to be able to leave enough room to crawl up front. With the 310, there's a door up front already. Makes it easier.

Yup, Dave's OCD. ;)

Dave, I think he had read the other thread when you first discovered the issue and were investigating it, and was pulling your leg about it.

:)
Ding ding ding! Hence, the :devil:. That other thread was epic, though. :rofl:

Why don't those ITT needles line up with each other? :devil:

OMG!!!!!!! :hairraise: Actually in my limited experience it would be a rare day if they all were exactly alike. Although I have to admit in moments of boredom and OCD on long flights I have twiddled the condition levers to get all four to read the same.

Ding ding ding! Hence, the :devil:. That other thread was epic, though. :rofl:

No problemo. Glad y'all remembered. With over 100 flying hours in the bird now, on top of sim time, getting a pretty good handle on things.

Best,

Dave

Another wonderful thing about this plane is staying high longer when given PD on an arrival.
Had very light headwinds on the return trip from Greenville today; flew back at FL200. When I returned from the ROA gig, some of the turbine guys that flew with me coached me on how to stay high longer and bring the throttles back later on PD descents. Staying high longer gives better fuel burn, higher TAS and can keep one above weather longer.

Returning to Dallas today, I was given the DUMPY3 arrival, and about 60 miles out, was given the clearance to be at Yeagr at 6,000. In the 58P, I would have slowly nosed it down to get the benefit of the long down hill.

In the KA I stayed at FL200 until seven minutes from YEAGR and pulled the throttles back to about 500 pounds of torque per side. That gave just over a 2,000 fpm rate of descent and kept me above a layer at 10,000 much longer. Lots of fun!

Just getting the hang of this and may wait just a bit longer next time and bring the throttles back more.

Anyone else flying a KA90 have any advise here?

Best,

Dave

It works as you describe if ATC doesn't have a mandatory crossing altitude to mess up your descent profile. Coming into ADS from the northwest (Bowie) doesn't work nearly as well. Then they slam you down to 5 for the schlep across the north side of DFW. Power sufficient to maintain pressurization dif can be iffy in some low-power descent situations, probably not so much in the 90.

Another wonderful thing about this plane is staying high longer when given PD on an arrival.
Had very light headwinds on the return trip from Greenville today; flew back at FL200. When I returned from the ROA gig, some of the turbine guys that flew with me coached me on how to stay high longer and bring the throttles back later on PD descents. Staying high longer gives better fuel burn, higher TAS and can keep one above weather longer.

Returning to Dallas today, I was given the DUMPY3 arrival, and about 60 miles out, was given the clearance to be at Yeagr at 6,000. In the 58P, I would have slowly nosed it down to get the benefit of the long down hill.

In the KA I stayed at FL200 until seven minutes from YEAGR and pulled the throttles back to about 500 pounds of torque per side. That gave just over a 2,000 fpm rate of descent and kept me above a layer at 10,000 much longer. Lots of fun!

Just getting the hang of this and may wait just a bit longer next time and bring the throttles back more.

Anyone else flying a KA90 have any advise here?

Best,

Dave

Back