A new glider enthusiast?

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Yesterday Karen and I took the BMW out for a drive in the country and for some reason we ended up at an airport southwest of Chicago. Funny how that seems to happen when I am driving. :D

The airport was Huntley glider port. I have landed there once for CONUS Challenge and flow over it a lot of times. It is an active glider port and skydiving center. While there we watched several meat puppets take off and then jump out of perfectly good airplanes and Karen kept mentioning over and over how she would never do that.

A couple of gliders also landed and that was neat to see. Karen was very interested in those had had lots of questions for me. Many of which I was able to answer from paying attention to Pete and Tony's posts on soaring.

We then walked over to the glider port of the field. While the skydiving center was all loud music and party time the glider part of the airport was quiet and laid backed with a couple of glider bums that wanted to talk flying. We watched a couple of hook ups and take offs. Karen mentioned that it looked really fun and I was ready to put her in a glider, but she declined. She did become interested when I told her she might be able to see Tony's glider come November. So Tony you may have a new glider student come the Ames fly-in!

Cool Scott. if you are ever around HXF on the weekend you could stop by our place as well.

Welcome to the dark side...

My glider will likely be on display at my party. Im not sure what condition it will be in though. Im planning on recovering it during that period.

My glider will likely be on display at my party. Im not sure what condition it will be in though. Im planning on recovering it during that period.
Even that would be interesting. I was surprised she had all kinds of question about how you put them together and take them apart. She was looking at all the trailers at the glider port and was wondering how often you need one. That is when I told her about your XCs. I really tried to get her to take a flight but she thinks she is a klutz and I know all the doodads in our plane overwhelm her.

should've had her look at the panel of a few trainers. certainly underwhelming in the instrumentation department, usually.

Scott, Your wife is a 180 from mine. The wife and I flew to MUT to see their glider and my wife said..."You can do what you want, but don't expect me to get in to something that don't have a engine." She trys to like flying with me but honestly she just waits for the engine to quit and the resulting crash. So when we land he is totally relieved that the flight ended safely. She will get better over time but I think the glider ride will never be a option.

She sounds like a keeper to me, Scott. You'll get her up in a glider yet. And I share her thoughts on the meat missiles. No, not now, not ever. Don't even want to think about it. :p

Back