A New A-380 Operating Strategy

GRG55

Final Approach
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Aztec Flyer
From conversion to a private executive jet, to hub-and-spoke short haul service, the inhabitants of this part of the world keep coming up with new and unique ways to use the largest of commercial jets. :eek:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-draws-superjumbo-into-40-minute-gulf-hops

When I lived in the Gulf and travelled to Muscat from Dubai, it was not uncommon for Emirates to be flying A-330s at 10% load factor on that route. :dunno:

An airline in Japan use to have a 747 with maximum seating flying commuter flights within Japan.

I think ANA and Japan Airlines still have domestic 777s with like a 350 passenger capacity.

Yep. There are countries in Asia that use A330's with 450 seat arrangement for commuter flights as well.

Honestly doesn’t surprise me. The A380 was too big and arrived too late. I view it more as trying to find something for the plane to do than anything.

What’s interesting on that is the engines were designed with life limits based on 10ish hour legs like the plane was intended to do. I don’t know how those end up getting impacted. The chapter 5 limits I imagine are all hour based so technically it wouldn’t (other than hot sections being done on condition would occur sooner), but a number of the disks and such that get most of the wear based on cycles would wear at a faster rate.

From conversion to a private executive jet, to hub-and-spoke short haul service, the inhabitants of this part of the world keep coming up with new and unique ways to use the largest of commercial jets. :eek:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-draws-superjumbo-into-40-minute-gulf-hops

When I lived in the Gulf and travelled to Muscat from Dubai, it was not uncommon for Emirates to be flying A-330s at 10% load factor on that route. :dunno:
Geez, you'd think that jet fuel came out of the ground!

Honestly doesn’t surprise me. The A380 was too big and arrived too late. I view it more as trying to find something for the plane to do than anything.

What’s interesting on that is the engines were designed with life limits based on 10ish hour legs like the plane was intended to do. I don’t know how those end up getting impacted. The chapter 5 limits I imagine are all hour based so technically it wouldn’t (other than hot sections being done on condition would occur sooner), but a number of the disks and such that get most of the wear based on cycles would wear at a faster rate.

Speaking of hot sections, I don't think we've had an update in ages on the MU-2? Trips? Pics? Famous dogs rescued?

(the Cobra is fine, but it ain't got wings!)

Speaking of hot sections, I don't think we've had an update in ages on the MU-2? Trips? Pics? Famous dogs rescued?

(the Cobra is fine, but it ain't got wings!)

I suppose I haven’t. I’ll make an update post about it sometime later today or tomorrow.

I'll swear I saw a "seating" design for a short haul aircraft, that had everyone STANDING.......like 800 of them!!

The 747SR variant was specifically designed to withstand the extra stress from flying more short flights. There was also the 747-400D later for the same purpose. Both were (I believe) designed specifically to the requirements of the Japanese commuter flights.

I was wondering about that to, but not the engines. Did they engineer the airframe to a certain number of cycles based on there wouldn’t be a lot of them

AA used to have a 777 between DFW and ORD. Not as short as these A380 flights, but still. Looks like they have 787s going now.

Back