A moving story

A great read of a great adventure.

I figure in about 8 more years I'll be moving the wife and I back east after retirement.

You just convinced me NOT to move MYSELF!
It would be more than twice the distance of your move.

Rent the largest Penske diesel they have and it's not a big deal. They're nice. Efficient. Costs very little. If it breaks they'll fix it.

Rent the largest Penske diesel they have and it's not a big deal. They're nice. Efficient. Costs very little. If it breaks they'll fix it.

Yep, agreed. If we moved ourselves then I would absolutely go that route again.

However so long as I have jobs that include relocation packages, I will also let them do the relocation work.

Thunder_Truck_vs._the_Universe

I have just discovered Wordle.

Penske has contracts with repair shops and 'road rescue' trucks along the interstates. I had a tire blow out on my 26ft Dt4300. Within minutes of my phonecall their local contractor showed up, isolated the blown tire and had me follow to his shop. An hour later, I was back on the road with a new tire.

No point ever using U-Haul for trucks. For trailers maybe.

I once flew with a friend around 1990 out of a little fly-in community either in or very near Owasso that I believe was called Eagle's Nest or something like at. is it still there?

Update:
Wee car is gone. He had been resting next to Thunder Truck for over a year, with the occasional excitement of being a playhouse for the grandchildren. We're not sure what the "Cancer Folk" intend to do with him, but we feel his remains will go for a good cause. Memorial services will be held this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3486.JPG
    IMG_3486.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3487.JPG
    IMG_3487.JPG
    890.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    902.9 KB · Views: 24
It took you a whole year to make that decision? :eek:

Oh, that's right, you live in Oklahoma. Most leave them in the front yard on blocks. Never mind. :rolleyes:

It took you a whole year to make that decision? :eek:

Oh, that's right, you live in Oklahoma. Most leave them in the front yard on blocks. Never mind. :rolleyes:

As opposed to the 4 generations of tractors and implements in the yard in Nebraska?:rofl:

Yeah. We live in Oklahoma. Friday was an incredibly busy day for me. I had coffee with the guys at the Pilot's Lounge. They were talking about the weenie roast that we are all invited to. There is about one every month on this airport, thrown by whoever wants to. One guy dropped by to say that he would bring biscuits and gravy over for coffee tomorrow. He just felt like it. I like it. The Okies here treat each other as if we are family.

After coffee, I drove to Claremore, about 15 miles, to get an estimate on a repair for some damage to my car. It didn't take very long and then I was on my way to south-east Tulsa to see if I could purchase a plastic tube to be used for checking fuel level in the CTLS. We always use our fuel stick on the 172 and miss having that step in the preflight for the CTLS. When I got there and asked about the tube, they didn't have exactly what I asked for, but could come close, so they gave me (free) two tubes. Thanks. I love Okies.

Then I was off to another repair shop for another estimate on the scratch on my car. I noticed that the fuel indicator was telling me to get fuel, but I had a lot of errands, so I thought about putting it off, but pulled into a QuickTrip anyway. Their fuel pumps were not working, so I decided to catch the next one. After the estimate, I was on my way to a seminar about Medicare. I've been attending the seminars for as many Medicare plans as possible so that I can start to understand and make an informed decision. I've now been to three or four and have a couple more to go to. I ate lunch at Subway and then got a lot of Medicare questions answered.

I left the seminar and got stuck in a huge traffic jam because it was getting to be 3:00 and afternoon traffic was picking up. I pulled into a shopping center to go around and pulled out into the street when my car stopped running. It wouldn't start. I knew I was out of gas. I put on my flashers and got out of the car to see where the nearest gas station was. As luck would have it, I was not blocking traffic because I was in a left turnout. As soon as I got out, a car pulled up behind me and the fashionably-dressed woman inside asked whether she could help me. I told her I was out of gas and she said she'd be right back with some. (Right. I believe that.) As soon as she left, a cop pulled up and together we pushed my car into a parking place. As he left, he pointed out that my license tag was out of date.

The woman and a man arrived a few minutes later with a one gallon container of gasoline. Neither would take any money for it. It was enough to start my car and get me to the next gas station a mile away. She followed me there just to make sure. Okies. I now know that my gas tank holds exactly 11 gallons of gas.

This place may not be uptight about things like a car parked for too long. The tradeoff is with people who will go out of their way to help even when you've done something really stupid.

Reality is living anywhere is like that if you have the right attitude.

Yeah. We live in Oklahoma. Friday was an incredibly busy day for me. I had coffee with the guys at the Pilot's Lounge. They were talking about the weenie roast that we are all invited to. There is about one every month on this airport, thrown by whoever wants to. One guy dropped by to say that he would bring biscuits and gravy over for coffee tomorrow. He just felt like it. I like it. The Okies here treat each other as if we are family.

After coffee, I drove to Claremore, about 15 miles, to get an estimate on a repair for some damage to my car. It didn't take very long and then I was on my way to south-east Tulsa to see if I could purchase a plastic tube to be used for checking fuel level in the CTLS. We always use our fuel stick on the 172 and miss having that step in the preflight for the CTLS. When I got there and asked about the tube, they didn't have exactly what I asked for, but could come close, so they gave me (free) two tubes. Thanks. I love Okies.

Then I was off to another repair shop for another estimate on the scratch on my car. I noticed that the fuel indicator was telling me to get fuel, but I had a lot of errands, so I thought about putting it off, but pulled into a QuickTrip anyway. Their fuel pumps were not working, so I decided to catch the next one. After the estimate, I was on my way to a seminar about Medicare. I've been attending the seminars for as many Medicare plans as possible so that I can start to understand and make an informed decision. I've now been to three or four and have a couple more to go to. I ate lunch at Subway and then got a lot of Medicare questions answered.

I left the seminar and got stuck in a huge traffic jam because it was getting to be 3:00 and afternoon traffic was picking up. I pulled into a shopping center to go around and pulled out into the street when my car stopped running. It wouldn't start. I knew I was out of gas. I put on my flashers and got out of the car to see where the nearest gas station was. As luck would have it, I was not blocking traffic because I was in a left turnout. As soon as I got out, a car pulled up behind me and the fashionably-dressed woman inside asked whether she could help me. I told her I was out of gas and she said she'd be right back with some. (Right. I believe that.) As soon as she left, a cop pulled up and together we pushed my car into a parking place. As he left, he pointed out that my license tag was out of date.

The woman and a man arrived a few minutes later with a one gallon container of gasoline. Neither would take any money for it. It was enough to start my car and get me to the next gas station a mile away. She followed me there just to make sure. Okies. I now know that my gas tank holds exactly 11 gallons of gas.

This place may not be uptight about things like a car parked for too long. The tradeoff is with people who will go out of their way to help even when you've done something really stupid.

Sounds like a nice place. I suspect you probably had a hard time getting used to it, just like I had a hard time getting used to Sparrow Fart when I moved. Everyone's always smiling and waving around here, and you're practically overwhelmed with help when you need it. I think it's something in the water. I even have people offering to help me to my car with my groceries, and young kids calling me "sir" and holding the door for me.

It was all very disconcerting.

The constant waves and smiles from other drivers while driving were especially hard to get used to. Around here, everyone waves and smiles. Random strangers in cars, farmers on tractors, highway workers on steamrollers, kids on bicycles, infants in strollers... they all wave and smile. It really took a while to get used to, coming from The City, where angry glares were much more common than friendly smiles, and most waves were of the one-fingered variety.

Rich

Welcome Peggy!

Peggy, welcome to Oklahoma! Im late, as I hadn't been on here until lately, but I just saw your post regarding your moving adventure. Wow. We've rented trucks when we needed them, I considered buying one when I was moving from Altus, OK, to the Tulsa area, but then I decided that was way more $$ than I needed to spend. I probably should have bought one, having it available would had actually made things a lot easier….:rolleyes2:

Welcome though, I live over in Cleveland, WNW of Tulsa. You live at Airman Acres? Would love to meet up sometime, Im sure we can provide some fun stories for each other! Tell me about Airman Acres, what's it like?

:goofy:

And while I don't have a car on blocks in the yard, we have more (old) cars then we really need, and some that need worked on, so we fit right in. Of course, we started out here, just moved around a bit in state. :)

Back