A moving story

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We have arrived, or departed, depending on your viewpoint.

Thunder Truck required four new tires on the rear and is currently resting peacefully in Youngstown, OH, awaiting a transmission transplant. A complete recovery is expected by next weekend. We had not anticipated any trouble with TT but were half-expecting Wee Car to expire so it's with some joy that we are able to report that it lost only reverse gear in transit. We managed to squeeze some of the computer gear into Wee Car and Hubby is limping along on my Son's internet until we get connected at our (new) house and I make do with an hour at a time at the library.

Waking up with Sol in rural Oklahoma is a greater joy that I had expected -- it doesn't make up the loss of New York -- but I'll get used to it.

There's been a lot of rain here recently so while the grass is not any greener, it is higher, and I have 2 1/2 acres of it to consider.

To quote my wife when we moved from Atlanta to Arkansas. May be similar to New York to OK - "Well, this isn't the end of the world - but you can see it from here.

Peggy - what's the nearest airport with paved runway?

We are under the normal departure for Tulsa Intl. Most people in the area prefer to land at KRVS, known locally as Riverside, but officially as RLJones.

KTUL - Tulsa International Airport (8 nm S)
KOWP - William R. Pogue Municipal Airport (16 nm SW)
KRVS - Richard Lloyd Jones Jr Airport (18 nm S)
KGCM - Claremore Regional Airport (20 nm E)
KBVO - Bartlesville Municipal Airport (27 nm N)

I am posting Hubby's trip report.

Thunder Truck v. The Universe

We did the research. We ran the numbers. We made the decision. Surveying our New York house filled with 25 years of practiced accumulation, we figured three truck-loads would move it all and buying our own truck would be a sound investment. And so our story unfolds.

After hours of parsing Internet lists and visiting various used truck dealers we located a decent prospect in upstate NY: a '95 gas-fueled GMC Vandura 3500-HD 12 foot box with a lift gate. "What kind of mileage does this get, around twelve," I asked assuredly? "Yeah, you bet," the seller agreed. I crawled underneath, drove it a couple of miles and operated all of the buttons and knobs. We agreed on a price and I spent the next six hours making it mine.

My auto insurance company declined my business. "We don't insure commercial vehicles," she assured me. "But it's for personal use. I'm moving," I complained. "It doesn't matter what you do with it, it's classified by weight. Here's an address of a company that can help you," she offered convincingly.

The guy at the new company shopped around for an hour, "Here's the best deal I could find for you. They don't recognize commercial vehicles for personal use so the lowest business rate I could put you in is for masons." "Fine," I acquiesced, "I own a trowel and now I have a truck to move it with."

DMV had a hard time as my VIN number came up as a bus. I convinced her it was a truck. "What's it's gross weight," she continued down the screen. I had no idea and there was no builder's plate on the truck itself. "If it's 10,000 pounds or over, you need a commercial driver's license," she suggested. We compromised on 9,000 pounds.

Now armed with unexpectedly expensive insurance and a licensing fee based on weight, I slowly drove home. It was the largest truck I had ever driven and was uncomfortable at any speed. By the time I got it home though I decided it was manageable.

Trip #1

Over the next three days we loaded uncountable boxes of books and surplus furniture. This would be the first load, happily coinciding with Thanksgiving in Tulsa. Three more days to drive the 1,400 miles would be a breeze. We were off with the confidence that only an old truck can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding.

Thunder Truck had named itself by shaking the house as it sat idling in the driveway. Now it really roared as it lumbered slowly up the entrance ramp to I-287 and it began to look like 45 MPH would be a good top speed. Over the Tappan Zee Bridge I slowed to 40 as the wind began whipping us in the narrow lanes but opened 'er back up to 45 on the grade into New Jersey. By the time we crossed the Delaware Water Gap the top speed had increased to 55 MPH. We'd be in Tulsa in no time.

Popping out of a Pennsylvania tunnel an excited Highway Patrol Officer waved us over to the side. His face was red and he was yelling something I couldn't hear over the rumble of the truck. "We've been trying to pull you over for the last 15 miles," he was gesturing wildly with "you dumb f---" waiting unsaid in the background. A couple of trucks had waved at us as they passed but I waved back thinking they recognized the "Chopper John" signs still affixed to the sides of the box. It seems our tail pipe was dragging producing a visually stunning display of sparks. "Do you know what would happen if we had to shut down that tunnel," he threatened? We continued our conversation, he yelling, me listening intently until he gave me a warning ending with "and if I see you on the road again and this is not fixed, I'm going to impound your truck and throw you in jail. And I don't mean just wired up -- fixed properly."

Our good luck continued as a repair truck was already there working on a disabled diesel. He agreed to fix us up as soon as he finished. We enjoyed the idyllic Pennsylvania landscape until the sun had fully abandoned it and then shifted our attention to a puma ghosting through the forest at the edge of the turnout. More than once we could feel its eyes on us as it waited for another out-of-order-truck victim.

A flashlight belonging to Repair Guy finally bounced and wobbled over to our truck. He wired the tail pipe up off the ground. We agreed that he would follow us to the next town and, if we were stopped by the Nice Highway Patrol Officer, he would certify the repair. Besides we reasoned, NHPO was probably either at home eating dinner with his cowed wife or had died of apoplexy.

The next morning we found a muffler shop that could work on Thunder Truck and we were on the road by noon with a "proper" repair. Nothing could stop us now. We were off with the confidence that only an old truck with a new exhaust can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding. After an overnight stop somewhere west of Indianapolis we continued into the nearly-named state of Misery, scene of many past mechanical sorrows.

Sure enough, Missouri struck again. Just as the exit for Mount Vernon widened alongside I-44, TT's engine began a tattoo of metal-on-metal. As it happened we were able to make the exit and pull into a repair shop. "Doesn't sound good," the pocket-handed repairman sauntered out of the shop with his sage opinion hanging over us like a credit card advertisement. By late afternoon we knew the engine was toast -- a valve had gone through a piston -- and we would be staying the night in a motel within walking distance. By noon the next day his wife had located a used engine and promised a quick repair.

"But," we asked, "how will we get to Tulsa in time for Thanksgiving. Is there a bus from here?" "Don't worry about that, we'll get you there." So they drove us 140 miles to Tulsa. We bought them dinner. We meet such wonderful people whenever we break something.

In a couple of days the truck was roadworthy so we drove it the rest of the way to Tulsa with the confidence that only an old truck with a new exhaust and engine can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding. Just short of the house the front-end began to shimmy. Fortunately, our Daughter-In-Law's Grandfather had a hydraulic jack large enough to get the truck off the ground. Checking the front wheels it was obvious that both bearings were questionable. It turned out that they were installed too loose and after tightening them up a bit we unpacked and returned empty to New York without further incident.

TT still needed an inspection to be completely legal and our local auto repair guy was happy to see it show up. The hand brake had been "fixed" with a bungee cord so the idiot light would stay off but was depressingly useless otherwise. I tried to find a repair manual and parts but apparently GMC had made very few trucks like ours and was embarrassed to admit to it. Repair Guy cobbled together some parts "that fit fine" and made the truck legal, if not moderately functional.

In the meantime City Official Guy had discovered TT hiding behind a small shrub in our driveway and issued a letter of You Can't Do Anything On Your Property That We Can't Tax. We had 60 days to find an alternate parking spot for a commercial vehicle. Repair Guy, who had an interest in a U-Haul in Yonkers, cut us a good deal (for New York) so that is where TT lived while we packed boxes for the next trip.

Last edited:
Trip #2

As boxes bumped irregularly into the back of TT it became apparent that the attraction of our possessions exceeded our ability to part with them. Peggy tried repeatedly to sell some of the larger items but our temptations are apparently unique. She could sell a broken oscilloscope but not a perfectly useful china cabinet. We abhorred the idea of setting a console organ out for trash but it took weeks for anyone to finally come pick it up. And it was free. No one wants large "stuff" anymore. As the truck filled we became increasingly desperate to keep to a three-trip maximum. Our Oklahoma house is considerably smaller and we don't have room for a lot of large "stuff."

Finally the truck could hold no more and the cargo door slammed down, latches clinking into place with a pleasing ring. We were off with the confidence that only an old truck with a new exhaust, engine and repacked bearings can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding.

A lug bolt on the driver's front wheel snapped and the wheel began to wear against the remaining fasteners. The first sign of trouble was a bouncing that rapidly turned into a flat-tire feeling. I pulled over but all of the tires were round. It took a second look before I found the sheared bolt. Fortunately, we never operate TT without 50 pounds of assorted tools so I was able to tighten the remaining nuts and limp into the next town for repairs.

We've always thought of TT as a "big" truck but pulling into the Freightliner shop full of diesels it felt like a seal in a school of sharks. "We don't carry parts for small trucks," Office Guy apologized, "but maybe we can get them from a dealer." He did. In only five big-truck-priced hours TT was road-ready again and we made it all the way to Tulsa.

On the way back to New York the shift linkage departed from the transmission. It's an easy fix involving crawling underneath the chassis, reaching past the hot exhaust and pushing the greasy shift cable ball-end back on the transmission shift lever. It just needed to be done every time the truck required a different gear. Detecting a safety issue we decided to shift only when the truck was not moving. At each gas stop, Peggy scooted over to hold the brake while I climbed underneath to manually place the transmission in park, then re-attached the linkage. It usually held long enough to shift back to drive but we also planned stops so we wouldn't need to back up.

The first time the shifter flopped uselessly around the steering column I used the parking brake to hold the truck from rolling down the hill, off the cliff and into a movie explosion, mushroom cloud and raging inferno involving half of New York City before extinguishment with the combined help of the Canadian and Greenland Nation Forces led by a lab-coated man with a Japanese accent. It was a very good thing it held. Unfortunately the actuator cable slipped off the atomic trunion multiplier reflux condenser and refused to return home. It then became necessary for Peggy to scootch onto the brake at every stop thus saving New York City for the next hurricane disaster.

As soon as we got home I grabbed the "big" hammer and fixed it. I fixed it good.

Except for the front wheel that insisted on free will and the right to follow its own path, the transmission linkage that no longer wanted to play with the rest of the parts and the parking (EMERGENCY) brake losing its ambition, the trip was a resounding success. We noticed an increase from six to eight miles per gallon and, at least on the way back with no load, a top speed approaching 65 MPH.

Trip #3

Hurry, hurry, hurry, our house was under contract for sale and we're closing on August 1st. Packing became a game of what we can live without for the next N days. Procrastination on the buyer's part put closing off until the 15th. What can we live without until then? Schedules eventually solidified into robust jelly and we ordered a U-Haul trailer for our never-to-be-completed kit car. Tenants were kicked out of our house in Oklahoma. Bills were paid. Mail was redirected. And finally the truck was packed and ready to go. All we needed was to pick up the trailer, strap the kit car down and head West.

That last romantic night in our house in New York we slept fitfully on a mattress in the otherwise bare living room. In the morning we rolled the sheets and pillows into a box, tied the mattress across the back, slammed the cargo door down and were ready to roll.

Unfortunately, the trailer was in Peekskill, 30 miles away, so it would be about two hours before we would be officially moving. But on the way up we heard a loud pop, like a giant balloon breaking under the weight of a surprised child. "What was that," Peggy exclaimed rhetorically. "A tire," I retorted needlessly. Immediately I slowed expecting the worst but it was one of four rear tires that blew so we could creep idealistically into the next town which, fortunately, was Peekskill.

"An inside rear tire blew out," I explained to U-Haul Guy, "do you know where I can get it fixed?" He did and at the stop-light in front of the Police Station a cop pulled up beside us with flashing lights. "You're not supposed to be here," we could hear him plainly over the rumble of the idling truck. "Didn't you see the signs? No trucks over 10,000 pounds?" "We're under that," Peggy yelled back. "Let me see your registration," he ordered officiously. I got out the papers and pleaded, "we've got a flat and have to get to this place," pointing to a slip of blue paper with a scrawled address. "Oh!" And suddenly switching from "protect" to "serve" mode, "You'll get lost, follow me." At the tire shop he drove off before I could get out to thank him.

Tire Guy ran a jaundiced eye across our monument to Detroit before declaring it unsafe. "You've got the wrong size tires on that thing. See here," he pointed to the failed sibling, "they're rubbing together, generating heat, they're all going to go." Four new tires and two hours later we were again headed for U-Haul.

The trailer hook-up went without a hitch [grin] and before lunch we were back at the house pulling and pushing the kit car onto the trailer. We could get it almost to the top of the ramp. Wee Car operated as a windless with a chain running from its front-end to the front of kit car. Nearly done the chain hung up on the trailer requiring some 2X4 coaxing. I left Wee Car in reverse to keep tension on the chain while I pried with a hand selected length of Southern Yellow Pine. The chain jumped, rattled the hook off of Wee Car which then threw itself backwards into the tail gate of Thunder Truck. Other than a few new dents, scrapes and a broken tail light no-one was hurt so I repeated the experiment with the chain slightly off center. This time kit car rolled completely onto the trailer without further indignities to Wee Car and we were off with the confidence that only an old truck with a new exhaust, engine, repacked bearings and tires can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding.

Sixty miles from Ohio, we quit for the day. It had been a hard drive. Despite the weight of Thunder Truck, the trailer whipped it back and forth at every opportunity making steering a two handed sport. 55 is the maximum speed printed in large letters across the trailer. I understand why.

Just across the border and within hog-calling distance of Youngstown, OH, TT began making a curious grinding noise on an uphill grade. On the downside it was fine. On the next hill the sound intensified to a climactic clatter and suddenly clunked to a sputtering stop. Peggy, trailing behind in Wee Car, saw a puff of black smoke exit the engine compartment as the soul of Thunder Truck departed for a better place.

Wee Car was in bad shape. It's had a hard life. At every stop the transmission needed fluid and reverse gear had failed somewhere in Pennsylvania. Our original plan was to pack Wee Car with only those things we could live without so if it was rendered untraceable by accidental immolation along the way, we could escape quickly in TT. Now we had to pack essential computer gear into the trunk and back seat and hope that Wee Car would not lose any forward gears -- at least until we got to Tulsa.

And we did. And we expected to get TT back by the next weekend. But since GMC had built very few trucks like ours the transmission rebuild factory had to make one just for us -- and it took a week.

It was clear enough that 1) Wee Car might not make another 2,000 mile round trip, 2) we didn't particularly want to drive two days to get to Youngstown and 3) airline tickets would push our already stressed budget into melodramatic tragedy so we embarked on yet-another-adventure with the assistance of Greyhound Bus Lines. Leaving Tulsa Thursday evening we were excited about transferring in St. Louis at 2:45 the next morning and subsequently arriving in Youngstown only 16 hours after that. It was actually a pleasant trip with nothing to do but ache longingly for a visit to the Worlds' Largest Wind Chime, Worlds' Largest Golf Tee and Worlds' Largest Rocking Chair, each but a tantalizing few miles from the Interstate. This desire was only made stronger by the knowledge that we had already passed them a half-dozen times in the past and would continue to do so.

Arriving only a half hour past the appointed time -- time well spent putting off an unruly drunk passenger -- we called the Repair Guys to pick us up from the bus station. The truck was finished and ready to go with the unexpected addition of new ignition module and wires; it had failed to start that morning. We paid the bill and sped two miles to the nearest motel as dusk settled in for the night. We were exhausted. But the next morning we were off with the confidence that only an old truck with a new exhaust, engine, repacked bearings, tires and transmission can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding.

Probably, it should be said that the rest of the trip to Tulsa was uneventful. Nothing needed fixing. Nothing fell off. Except for the severe thunder storm we passed under, nothing of reportable interest occurred. By early Sunday afternoon we were home. I carefully backed the kit car into the garage, shut down Thunder Truck and exhaled; sitting for a moment feeling the stillness filter in from the quiescent August afternoon. The move was officially over prompting a feeling of relieved gravity and completedness. True, the trailer had to be returned to U-Haul, only ten days late, and the truck had to be unloaded, and the house had to be unpacked and arranged, and phone and Internet service still needed to be established, and the back door still needed to be fixed as the tenants had accidentally kicked it in and large pieces of the frame were missing, and the 2 1/2 acres of grass needed mowing and a thousand other details begged for attention but, for this quiet moment, all was well.

Thunder Truck failed to start; the battery was dead. I hadn't checked the voltage gauge in the last ten minutes of the trip so there was no knowing exactly when the alternator failed but a quick jump got it started again. I followed Peggy into town to drop off the U-Haul trailer. She was driving extra slowly so I could keep up. "How slowly?" I asked myself glancing down at the speedometer which now read zero and showed no aspiration of doing otherwise. I dropped the trailer and headed for home leaving Peggy to pay the bill. I didn't want to run out of battery altogether.

Currently Thunder Truck sits outside of the hangar as we carry boxes one at a time into the house to unpack. Somewhere towards the front is my tool cabinet. When we get to it, I'll consider replacing the alternator.

On a purely financial basis, buying our own truck was, well, not the advantage we had bargained for. But those who successfully plan the life and live the plan are, in our opinion, doomed to boredom. Not that we don't also plan, but when "best-laid schemes" "gang aft agley" we find that we are truly blessed with adventure. And someday we will have the confidence that only an old truck with ALL NEW PARTS can bring, Universal entropy notwithstanding.

Update.

After only five trips to the parts store Thunder Truck has accepted a new alternator. It was a hard match to make as no-one seems to know exactly what kind of truck it is; GMC made so few of them it doesn't show up in any catalogues. And while I know it's inanimate I still have the feeling it's planning our next adventure.

Last edited:
627.jpg

:D

You do realize they rent trucks right? :mad2:

What you paid in insurance, tires, fuel for 5 round trips, plus repairs, and depreciation on thunder truck you could have hired a moving company and been done in one day? :mad2:

With this I would fully support your pro choice to think. ;). :mad2:

Last edited:
Quite the adventure! Maybe if you do it again, the big semi from United Van Lines won't look too bad!

Gary

You do realize they rent trucks right? :mad2:

What you paid in insurance, tires, fuel for 5 round trips, plus repairs, and depreciation on thunder truck you could have hired a moving company and been done in one day? :mad2:

With this I would fully support your pro choice to think. ;). :mad2:

True, but we could all fly commercial all the time and probably save money and time to boot.

AP and hubby shared an adventure together and that is priceless. Even if they would never do it again.

"Universal entropy notwithstanding"

I need to start working that into daily conversation.

Sounds more like simultaneous root canals to me, but to each his own.

True, but we could all fly commercial all the time and probably save money and time to boot.

AP and hubby shared an adventure together and that is priceless. Even if they would never do it again.

Sounds like a very expensive and painful adventure for you, but it was a great read for us! Thanks for sharing!

Peggy:

Moving from one part of the country to another is stressful in any event, but you raised it to a form of art.

One clear benefit of your move is that you are closer to Texas, always a good thing! I look forward to meeting you both, and I hope it's soon.

Spike

PS - Tulsa ain't Texas, but it's a great town.

Well personally I love those cargo/commercial trucks. After all the repairs you'll have yourself a fine cargo vehicle to use while all your other friends are asking to borrow it because they don't want to rent. I have an 85 Econoline 350XLT Cargo Van that is horrible on gas, huge, but always seems to be mentioned by friends when they want help moving. :) :) Give us a pic!!!!!!!!

My hope for anybody who moves to this part of the country at that time of year understands that the weather will get better before it gets worse.

In regards to that alternator you really need to go to a LEGIT auto parts store. You know, a store where you have more then pimply faced teens running the counter. An old school store with veterans who don't even need a book to hook you up with the right item. That year should be easy to match as they mass produced those same motors/tranny combos in different chassis designs.

Loved it!
Submit that somewhere and at least see if TT (your muse?) can defray some of her expense.

Uhm, did you all actually price what a moving truck rental costs? You could have rented a truck that would have done it all in one trip, achieved the same mpg, and would have cost less than one of your repairs to your truck.

That said, it does make one hell of a story...

Uhm, did you all actually price what a moving truck rental costs? You could have rented a truck that would have done it all in one trip, achieved the same mpg, and would have cost less than one of your repairs to your truck.

That said, it does make one hell of a story...

That was my thought as well. I wish that Peggy had asked my opinion (or anyone else on this board) prior to purchasing a '95 GMC Vandura gas box truck. Answer would have been "Look for any of the 675,085 better options available on eBay."

Definitely one hell of a story. In all the long road trips I made over effectively that same stretch of road in older vehicles, never had a problem or anything close to that magnitude.

Here by popular demand, are Thunder Truck and faithful companion, Wee Car, getting a charge from one another. Best Friends Forever. Or until one truly expires.

Note the strip of bright green tape holding Wee Car's bumper off the ground. One of many adjustments to the realities of its life.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    943.9 KB · Views: 61
That was my thought as well. I wish that Peggy had asked my opinion (or anyone else on this board) prior to purchasing a '95 GMC Vandura gas box truck. Answer would have been "Look for any of the 675,085 better options available on eBay."
Peggy asked about buying a truck before, although I don't know what kind she was talking about then. The poll came out tied. Here is the thread.

I was obviously in the "No, you are insane!!" group.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40305

Last edited:
Here by popular demand, are Thunder Truck and faithful companion, Wee Car, getting a charge from one another. Best Friends Forever. Or until one truly expires.
:D That was a good story.

Note the strip of bright green tape holding Wee Car's bumper off the ground. One of many adjustments to the realities of its life.

Nice, trucks like that come in super handy if for nothing else than mobile storage lol. Is that a Chevy/Suzuki Metro? Poor thing lol

Peggy asked about buying a truck before, although I don't know what kind she was talking about then. The poll came out tied. Here is the thread.

I was obviously in the "No, you are insane!!" group.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40305

Hey, sure enough. She did ask, and I did respond (in the "No, you are insane!!" group), and I even basically forecast her fate:

Way too soon. And in the two years that the truck is sitting, it will deteriorate. Ultimately, it will cost you more time and hassle than it's worth.

We just went through this, and I was looking at different options from buying a used moving truck to buying a used bus (similarly priced, more space). Ultimately, the best value was renting a Penske 26' diesel truck, which was a fraction of what your $1500 UHaul cost 20 years ago in today's dollars. If you take care of the packing, you can pay people on either end to help do the loading and unloading. It sounds like you would benefit from doing this on the loading side anyway, and on the unloading side you may have other help.

I used to be of the mindset of buying anything that I might need, even if I was only going to use it once. The reality with something like a moving truck is that it's been abused, but the ones you rent are typically going to be new enough that you shouldn't have any problems. The last thing you want is to be halfway to Oklahoma and have something go out, then pay a bunch to fix it. The small cost savings is not worth the risk or hassle.

It was right after Laurie moved up to Pennsylvania and we moved her up in the Penske diesel truck, which I seem to recall was not only huge and easy to drive, but also didn't break and got about 10 MPG. ;)

It is a great story, though, and stories like that are wonderful things in life, possessing a great value.

I e-mailed the story to my mom...I can't wait for her reaction..

I DID note two cases of aviation oil on the tailgate of Thunder Truck!

We are under the normal departure for Tulsa Intl. Most people in the area prefer to land at KRVS, known locally as Riverside, but officially as RLJones.

And Claremore has the cheapest fuel around...

And Claremore has the cheapest fuel around...
Turns out that the nearest paved runway is at Skiatook. But there are no services there.
2R6 - Skiatook Municipal Airport (6 nm W)

You are welcome to visit anytime. Let me know if I need to put sheets on the extra bed. But I might put you to work with little things like draining the pond or carrying windfall branches to the community "burn pile." The grass field here is very well maintained. We easily landed the C-172 here, but we avoid the softer ground toward the southeast end of the runway. We are 8nm due north from KTUL runway 18R/36L. At the moment, there is an unused anchored tie-down and room in the hangar for a smaller airplane. In addition to TT & WC, I have a Scion (with room for 3 passengers) that can pick you up from a paved airport.

The Airman Acres airport annual bean dinner is this coming Saturday, Sept 28, noon.

A great read of a great adventure.

I figure in about 8 more years I'll be moving the wife and I back east after retirement.

You just convinced me NOT to move MYSELF!
It would be more than twice the distance of your move.

Back