A Moderate Request for Our Beloved Moderators

Oh, come on. How much of a burden is it to type out 10 words saying why a thread was locked? Let’s not be ridiculous.

I have no idea how many of those they lock, and no faith that any 10 words they might offer would do anything but invite a ****storm of debate, ridicule, and calls of either over-moderation or under-moderation.

Ridiculous is asking for more time than they already donate. Ask not what your moderators can do for you?

Boobies

(…sorry, I had to channel Mscard88…it was a thing when I first joined and I remember it vaguely…kinda like coleslaw)

Oh, come on. How much of a burden is it to type out 10 words saying why a thread was locked? Let’s not be ridiculous.
How about some simple boiler plate like;

"Thread locked. Offending posts have been deleted."

I have seen discussions where people tried to read the thread to find out what got it locked and not finding anything egregious assume the mods have over-reacted.

As much as I like this idea, I do think it’s asking too much.

It would lead to less moderation, which is a good thing, but it would also lead to less moderation, which is a bad thing.

It’s a difficult job even without having to justify your actions, which will invariably lead to them being questioned, compounding the difficulties more. Bottom line, the mods owe us nothing.

I have no idea how many of those they lock, and no faith that any 10 words they might offer would do anything but invite a ****storm of debate, ridicule, and calls of either over-moderation or under-moderation.
:yeahthat:
I do understand the sentiment behind the ask, I’m just not sure it really has the effect it’s intended to.

I’m not asking for comment or discussion, merely explanation. “Thread locked due to personal attacks prohibited under ROC.” “Thread locked due to political discussion prohibited by rule # xx.” Or whatever.
In my experience, the user being moderated gets direct feedback from the MC why their post or thread was moderated.

…We members can’t correct our mistakes if we don’t know what they are.
Who’s this we you speak on behalf of? If you haven’t received a notice you’ve been sent to the penalty box, you aren’t making mistakes and therefore have nothing to correct. Again, my experience has been to receive direct feedback from the MC when content is being moderated.

I’m not asking for comment or discussion, merely explanation.
Am I making an unreasonable request?
I think so, but I also understand moderators on this and other forums sometimes cull offensive posts when a thread is locked and that does lead to confusion for those who weren’t participating in the thread in real time. Adding a statement that says thread locked for reason x may not make any sense at all if the posts related to the violation have been removed from public visibility.

Adding a statement that says thread locked for reason x may not make any sense at all if the posts related to the violation have been removed from public visibility.
Yeah, and then folks would start claiming that we’re acting unjustly, because they can’t see what we moderated and then it creates more problems than it was meant to solve.

I'm a moderator on another board, not here. Sometimes we add a note explaining why a thread was locked, sometimes we don't. It's good to do but it depends on the situation and how much time or energy we have. There are times when a thread really needs to be shut down right now before it gets worse but I'm in a hurry to do something else so no note gets added.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes and a lot of clicking back and forth, like reading a user's report of a post for whatever reason, looking at the thread for context if we haven't been following it, perhaps discussing it with other moderators, deleting posts and/or locking the thread, maybe notifying the offending user, assigning warning points, etc. But when a mod is busy sometimes it's just click, closed, move on.

This thread is the exact reason to not change a thing. We are not all going to agree. Can it be improved? Maybe. Should it be improved? Maybe not. It’s working ok, we haven’t started circling the drain on bad internet behavior.

I sometimes wonder about testing the ban limits, but it’s good to not know, lol. I like to hang out at POA, so not gonna take too much risk. Those that don’t like POA are self cleansing and get themselves booted. Keep moderation “mysterious”.

Boobies.

.....I sometimes wonder about testing the ban limits, but it’s good to not know, lol. I like to hang out at POA, so not gonna take too much risk. Those that don’t like POA are self cleansing and get themselves booted. Keep moderation “mysterious”.

Boobies.

well said (the boobies part). in years past, we most definitely tested the mods, and it was glorious. these days I'd say they really don't have too much to do lol.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes and a lot of clicking back and forth, like reading a user's report of a post for whatever reason, looking at the thread for context if we haven't been following it, perhaps discussing it with other moderators, deleting posts and/or locking the thread, maybe notifying the offending user, assigning warning points, etc. But when a mod is busy sometimes it's just click, closed, move on.
I was formerly a moderator here, and, at that time, and presumably now, there were discussions going on behind the scenes. There had to be agreement between a minimum number of mods about what to do. Believe it or not, mods don't always agree. ;) Also keep in mind that mods have other lives outside of POA.

IMHO, and nothing against the work the mods do, but if you can’t take the time to type out the 10 words, perhaps you just don’t have the time to be mods.

Not speaking for @Half Fast , but if you did take the time to type the 10 word reason, you may save yourself time in the long run, as members may know to avoid that situation.

IMHO, and nothing against the work the mods do, but if you can’t take the time to type out the 10 words, perhaps you just don’t have the time to be mods.

Not speaking for @Half Fast , but if you did take the time to type the 10 word reason, you may save yourself time in the long run, as members may know to avoid that situation.
Not a mod, but I can see some good reasons for NOT publishing why a thread was closed. Anything they say about it could come back in legal action later. Even now we get the arguments of "You let that [Liberal/Conservative] a-hole post whatever HE wanted, then closed the thread when I wanted to post a logical rebuttal!!!!"

Recall that at least one of our mods has been sued for online comments regarding the actions/veracity of an individual in aviation (not related to POA). Defending oneself against such a suit costs money, and there's no guarantee that if you win you'll get that back. No reason to take a risk just to satisfy third-party curiosity. If you REALLY want to be in the know, sign up as a moderator.

Ron Wanttaja

"You were a real lady-killer, Gomez!"

[waving a finger] "Unindicted...."

Not a mod, but I can see some good reasons for NOT publishing why a thread was closed. Anything they say about it could come back in legal action later. Even now we get the arguments of "You let that [Liberal/Conservative] a-hole post whatever HE wanted, then closed the thread when I wanted to post a logical rebuttal!!!!"

Recall that at least one of our mods has been sued for online comments regarding the actions/veracity of an individual in aviation (not related to POA). Defending oneself against such a suit costs money, and there's no guarantee that if you win you'll get that back. No reason to take a risk just to satisfy third-party curiosity. If you REALLY want to be in the know, sign up as a moderator.

Ron Wanttaja

"You were a real lady-killer, Gomez!"

[waving a finger] "Unindicted...."
lollllll!!!!
Sorry. Legal actions over quoting one of the published TOC’s…???

BWAHAHAHhH

lollllll!!!!
Sorry. Legal actions over quoting one of the published TOC’s…???

BWAHAHAHhH
Always easier to get someone else to take the risk. Sign on as a moderator, then.

The quote that got him sued: ' "Base, Viper 11's in, down for an overstress, 1.5".'

Remember, lawsuits *never* have to make sense; it just takes an outraged individual willing to spend a little money.

Ron Wanttaja

I recall when I first joined that usually there was a post from the POA Moderation account saying why the thread was locked when the thread got locked and I really liked that. I could understand why it would take a lot of time, and I don't know how many posts the mods have to delete every day, but if it matters, it was really nice when a locked thread had a POA Mod post at the end. Even when it just said, "Locked for posters violating x, y, and z of the RoC".

Also, I think lawyers who take on such stupid cases should be debarred and anyone who takes such a case to court themselves should have to pay opposing council's fees, get the case thrown out, and be sentenced to jail time. :cool:

i’m of the camp “If you don’t like the way the game is played, don’t play”. I had a couple of posts deleted over the years for what I felt were no good reason. No big deal to me and since there’s no instant replay on POA or challenge flag or retired Mod explaining what happened, “thems the rules and stuff happens”

Back