A milestone in my flying hobby

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Today I finished 1000 hours in my Lance and also the engine on it ( we flew the Lance straight to the engine shop right after picking it up ) Can we really call it hobby ? I definitely would not call it a career because I have not gotten a dime out of flying for 1000 hours but the pleasure I have got is priceless. I have enjoyed watching lots of sun sets and other natural scenes in this airplane. Its a great running engine and I never got scared flying behind this engine even during night IFR over hostile terrain.
Anyway where do I go from here ? A twin ? The fact is after 8 years of ownership I finally configured the airplane I want it and I know the airplane like back of my hand. But other part of me keeps thinking that I am getting older and this is THE time to try out something new and exiting since I still have means and good health. And I can definitely use more speed. What you guys would do ?

Kudos to you. Keep rocking. Sorry newbie here.... no suggestions for a veteran

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you want more speed, get a Mooney Acclaim . . . The only way to go faster requires a turbine. :D

1000 hours behind a Siamese mag single engine? You're a better man than I am.

Congrats on the milestone! I'm more in the camp of "smokem while you got em" vice the camp that tells you not to go after your desires (new toy, faster, etc). I will say that if you decide to upgrade, think about what happens after the purchase. Buying and selling airplanes can be a real PITA plus there's ALWAYS something you want to change/have to change or replace after buying the new bird. I know a few guys that upgraded beyond their wallet's capability to keep up; rarely have I met a more unhappy owner.

Is the step up long term or something fun to do for a year or two? If it's shorter term maybe you can buy in on a partnership or get a lease option?

Man, I'd keep rockin the plane you have set up like you like it!. Its working for you, dont change a thing!

James will be here shortly and tell ya what you should be flying. :D

Hahahah I was thinking the same. It's gotta be a Cessna 180 bro or nothing. (I think that is what he usually says)

Just make sure whatever you buy has an AOA indicator

Great. When totalling up the pages in my logbook recently, I realized I'd gone right over 1000. I flipped back and found that hour 1000 was when I was flying with Snowbird 10. That's a pretty good milestone flight.

It's the cheapest flying you'll do for the next +5 years, for the utility your A/C has... hands down. Think back after your purchase, how much did you spend to get it where it is today.

But, if money is no object... then go for the twin.

Congratulations on hitting 1000. Now we'll see how long it takes to get to 1500

Good luck
Gary

James will be here shortly and tell ya what you should be flying. :D

give-that-man-a-cookie.jpg

Actually, I was thinking he already has a good plane which he's comfy in, shy of spening a good chunk of money he ain't going to pick up that much speed, and a swap for how familiar he is with his current saddle, sounds like he's good where he is.

Congrats on the milestone! I'm more in the camp of "smokem while you got em" vice the camp that tells you not to go after your desires (new toy, faster, etc). I will say that if you decide to upgrade, think about what happens after the purchase. Buying and selling airplanes can be a real PITA plus there's ALWAYS something you want to change/have to change or replace after buying the new bird. I know a few guys that upgraded beyond their wallet's capability to keep up; rarely have I met a more unhappy owner.

Is the step up long term or something fun to do for a year or two? If it's shorter term maybe you can buy in on a partnership or get a lease option?[/QUOTE

you are right. My heart has been set on Aerostar for a while but have not been able to find the one with the stuff I want and I know how to use. There are some with good avionics etc and I might be able to use them efficiently over the time but they have unrealistic prices.
I am not aware of anyone leasing an Aerostar. Partnership ? that's not for me.

Cirrus vision jet
Da 62
Boeing 787 business jet.
Any are valid replacements lol

I am mostly just looking for a change and a bigger challenge. If speed comes with the new plane it would be nice. Definitely new plane will not be slower.

Can we really call it hobby ? I definitely would not call it a career because I have not gotten a dime out of flying for 1000 hours
Are career and hobby the only options?
I have driven both my car and my plane many more hours than that, and don't consider either one of them "hobby", or "career". I use both to get myself and my passengers to where we need to go.

Last edited:
There are still 2 mags just one drive. I am not aware of any engine failure purely because of having dual magnetos.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the concept of Piper Lance and it is clear you took great care to have decent maintenance performed on your mag by folks familiar with those ungodly contraptions, but here ya go: This one was fatal. This other one on a 32R, here's some more misc pile on. I didn't even link the SDRs (Mooney in particular), where the siamese backs out due to the clamps being installed wrong or otherwise slip, but because M20s are so tight everywhere, the housing can't pull out all the way, allowing the driver to limp to a survivable crash or runway landing.

Not trying to start a holy war, but the siamese does not satisfy my definition of ignition redundancy. I wouldn't mind them so much in twin installations (PA-44 for instance), but single engine? Not for me.

I am also curious what's the end game with these things, now that they have been officially orphaned. Do we really have 30 years of replacements and serviceability from these things? Kind of an important detail, especially for airplanes like the Lance, Dakota and Seminole, where Piper cheaped out and did not include non-D variant engines as part of their TCDS, the way the Cardinal and M20 do for instance. Ruh roh.

Buy a Baron, Navajo or C414.
That's kind of what I was thinking, a 421 or 414A would be a good step up, lots of room for 5 plus a bunch of other crap, golf clubs etc! 190-210 knots FIKI, pressurized, even a potty seat for the missus. :D Be very patient if you start looking at them, lots of turds out there, deferred maintenance is a wallet buster! :eek:

That's kind of what I was thinking, a 421 or 414A would be a good step up, lots of room for 5 plus a bunch of other crap, golf clubs etc! 190-210 knots FIKI, pressurized, even a potty seat for the missus. :D Be very patient if you start looking at them, lots of turds out there, deferred maintenance is a wallet buster! :eek:
If I pay if my house and the Lance, I'll step up fo sho. But, right now, all I can do is lay a hand on the wing and whistle a bit

You have mentioned your wife on two posts.

Ask her what she wants and do it.

For what you are doing hard to beat what you already have.
A Bonanza A36 will give you more speed in a similar configuration, but I would have difficulty shelling out that much extra for a marginal overall gain.
If you are considering a twin you might want to consider a Seneca II. For a given payload it should allow you to cruise higher up.

Buy a Baron, Navajo or C414.

I've got time in all and the 414 is by far the best. Doesn't have to be an A model, the tip tank versions are cheaper and still great utility.

Back