A love story revisited. [long]

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
It's been a couple years. It's really hard to believe it has been that long since I last saw one - my first love. It seems like just a few months since the last time I was standing here, outside our heavy maintenance hanger, gazing upon the Mighty Beech. But that time I had just flown it in, and I knew I'd get to fly it again. This time, everything is different.

It's been a couple years. It was one of those brutally cold New England nights. One of those nights when even the faint, crackling voice of the faceless man in BOS Center seems to wonder what we're doing flying right now. We're the only ones on his frequency.

We wondered too as we listened to the familiar woomphfff of the Beech's PT-6 lighting off. Our day was supposed to be done, but they wanted us to ferry our plane to the maintenance base and swap it for a new one. No big deal, it's just the tail end of a Nor'Easter tonight, nothing the Mighty Beech can't handle.

Suddenly the late night, and the guaranteed early morning tomorrow don't matter. The stress at home, the stress at work...it's all gone as we focus on the two needles on the panel, and strain to see through the snow and fog. Minimums, lights in sight. That's the next thing we want to hear

The lead-in lights had done their job, and so had we. We put our trusty ride to bed under an ever-thickening blanket of snow and retreat to the warmth of the hanger. When the door swings open, we're greated with a surprise! Not the dark blue, slightly worn down looking collection of 1900s and 340s that we were expecting, but a bright white, shiny new Q-400! This is the latest and greatest. I had no idea how big it was, I had no idea how nice the seats are, I had no idea how tall that tail is, I had no idea...

We spent hours walking around the "Mighty Q." Staring, taking pictures, pushing buttons that we couldn't identify. This thing was new, and awesome, and we wanted to fly it!

All the while, our 1900 sat outside, in the cold, almost unidentifiable under the snow.

Hours pass, and our "new" plane is finally ready. Out of the white and back into the faded blue, we launch into the black. It's a long ride home in our beloved 1900, but we spend the whole time talking about that gorgeous bird we left in the hangar. What a plane that was.

It's been a couple years. I've been flying that shiny, polished bird for quite a while now. I haven't forgotten about my first love, but I haven't thought much about it in a while, either. This morning is shaping up like any other. It's a little cooler out than I'm used to, but I guess summer is drawing steadily to a close. We show up at the hangar with the sun barely lighting the horizon. Of course our shiny white plane isn't ready for the day's work yet, so I wonder around a bit. On a whim, I decide to take a step outside the front door of the building.

There it is, as if we had just left it the night before. Add a little snow, and this would be deja vu. The Mighty Beech. The last one. "It's leaving this afternoon," the mechanic says, "they'll all be gone." He shakes his head a bit. He loved this plane too.

"Do you mind?" I ask, as I gesture toward the ramp.

"Go ahead" he says, as he turns back to his wrench.

It's smaller than I remember. I knew I couldn't ever stand up in it, but I didn't remember ducking this much. It's lot more of an athletic undertaking to get into the cockpit than it is in the Q. But it just fits so much better once you're in.

This was flying. This is the type of airplane you wear...you become part of. None of that GPS direct where you fly the computer that flies the airplane. In this, it's just two pilots, a VOR, and 880 on the ADF.

This was Rock 'n Roll. I sat next to a captain of a Heavy Boeing one day. He felt the same as I do about his time on the Mighty Beech. "That was an airplane," he seemed to get lost in memory. "Grab a fist-full of throttle, set 3500, and rock!"

I was the last person to sit in ship LVG (affectionately known as Lands Very Good, or Lima Victor Gangster) before it left for the factory in Wichita, marking the absolute end of an era. I was never so happy to be delayed, even if it meant I had to say goodbye.

Attachments

• LVG FO side.jpg
    LVG FO side.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 48
  • LVG interior.jpg
    LVG interior.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 51
  • LVG panel.jpg
    LVG panel.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 54
  • LVG last look.jpg
    LVG last look.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 60
  • The Q.jpg
    The Q.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 58
matt - is it headed for Beech or to ICT? I notice a lot of 1900's on the ramp near Yingling...

matt - is it headed for Beech or to ICT? I notice a lot of 1900's on the ramp near Yingling...

I'm not sure. I would assume Beech, but two of those ~10 or 12 planes at ICT are ours. I can't be certain, I just heard a rumor saying it's going to Wichita. I didn't even know Beech had a facility like that at ICT, I was really surprised to see those planes there!

We've had planes get returned to KICT, KBEC, KRFD, KHOT and KPWA (that's where I took a lease return plane).

Three of our former planes are now in the Middle East, two in Africa, and one has been written off.

Where were you when Adam needed the ride to 6Y9?

I would have been there in a heartbeat, so long as he was willing to defend me when the company and the feds got their hands on me!

Thanks for sharing, Matt. That's a great story.

I've said for a while that romance in aviation is in piston aircraft. Turbines lose that, but so long as they're propeller turbines, that's better. The 1900 definitely qualifies for the "real plane" status, especially if you're /U.

When chatting with various jet pilots who come in through Williamsport, I'll ask them about their planes and when they ask what I fly point to the Aztec. The common consensus is pretty much in line with what one guy said "Now that's REAL flying! I'd probably crash your plane if I tried to fly it, nothing like this jet stuff where it coddles you too much."

I've also got affection for the Beech 99. Two PT-6s and a cabin that could hold a whole bunch of dog cages. Hmm... :)

I'm sure he would have done his best!!:D:D

Nice story!!

Gary

Thanks Gary! Between Adam and Spike, that'd probably be just enough lawyering to get me to the gallows. :yes::rofl:

Thanks for sharing, Matt. That's a great story.

I've said for a while that romance in aviation is in piston aircraft. Turbines lose that, but so long as they're propeller turbines, that's better. The 1900 definitely qualifies for the "real plane" status, especially if you're /U.

When chatting with various jet pilots who come in through Williamsport, I'll ask them about their planes and when they ask what I fly point to the Aztec. The common consensus is pretty much in line with what one guy said "Now that's REAL flying! I'd probably crash your plane if I tried to fly it, nothing like this jet stuff where it coddles you too much."

I've also got affection for the Beech 99. Two PT-6s and a cabin that could hold a whole bunch of dog cages. Hmm... :)

The 99 and 1900 are definitely two of a kind. Really, anything with the PT-6 is destined to be awesome. As much as I love a good large bore piston engine, the PT-6 really does it for me. Max continuous to flight idle in only as long as it takes you to move your arm, hang it on the prop for a 3,000+ fpm descent without gaining airspeed, great power/weight, and of course...beta!

Last edited:
PT-6 doesnt have enough characters to be cool

GTSIO-520H ;)

Cool story, Matt. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like an updated version of "Fate is the Hunter". ;)

The 99 and 1900 are definitely two of a kind. Really, anything with the PT-6 is destined to be awesome. As much as I love a good large bore piston engine, the PT-6 really does it for me. Max continuous to flight idle in only as long as it takes you to move your arm, 3,000+ fpm descents without gaining airspeed, great power/weight, and of course...beta!

The only personal experience I have with the PT6 I have is with the Air Tractors I used to work with. After a couple of years there, the pilots trusted me enough to do their start-up and taxi to the load pad for them in the mornings. No such thing as 'auto-start' in those - Wedge myself into the cockpit with the doors open: Master On, Fuel Off, Prop feather, Engage starter, spool to 20%, igniters on (Click click click click), fuel to ground idle, wait for 'WHOOSH', check temp below ?700?, starter disengage, igniters off. Give it a minute or two to get warmed up. Prop forward. Wait for the change in pitch as the prop goes fine pitch. Taxi to loading pad. Prop to feather.. WHOOSH again. :D

Too cool!

GTSIO-520H ;)

While you are, of course, correct, Tony, the problem is the location of your letters. Note my engines (IO-540-C4B5) have as many characters as your GTSIO-520-H engines (therefore are of equal cool factor), however per the Ted theory of letters, the more letters before the number means the more likely the engine is to break.

By comparison, a TIO-540-J2BD is more reliable than your GTSIOs (fewer letters before the number), but is cooler due to the additional letter. ;)

GTSIO-520H ;)

:rofl: You could win at scrabble with engine descriptions alone. PT-6A-67D just doesn't quite cut it.

The only personal experience I have with the PT6 I have is with the Air Tractors I used to work with. After a couple of years there, the pilots trusted me enough to do their start-up and taxi to the load pad for them in the mornings. No such thing as 'auto-start' in those - Wedge myself into the cockpit with the doors open: Master On, Fuel Off, Prop feather, Engage starter, spool to 20%, igniters on (Click click click click), fuel to ground idle, wait for 'WHOOSH', check temp below ?700?, starter disengage, igniters off. Give it a minute or two to get warmed up. Prop forward. Wait for the change in pitch as the prop goes fine pitch. Taxi to loading pad. Prop to feather.. WHOOSH again. :D

Too cool!

Isn't it great!

Hmmm engine designation Scrabble.... I kinda like the idea :D

Thanks for the story; you and Tristan always know how to sketch beautiful word pictures in your flying stories.

It was one of those brutally cold New England nights. One of those nights when even the faint, crackling voice of the faceless man in BOS Center seems to wonder what we're doing flying right now.

Matt:

May I have permission to copy this over onto the BeechTalk.com forum...

...or would you go put it there, yourself?

It's too sweet to keep quiet. The Beech guys will eat it up.

Matt:

May I have permission to copy this over onto the BeechTalk.com forum...

...or would you go put it there, yourself?

It's too sweet to keep quiet. The Beech guys will eat it up.

I'm not a member, so please feel free, Spike! Just pass along the link if you don't mind. I can send the photos, too, if you'd like, though I suppose they're kind of secondary to the story.

Last edited:
Matt,

You have a talent for this sort of writing. Keep writing this stuff, and collect it somewhere. You should seriously consider fleshing it out a little bit and sending it off to Flying. Even if they bounce it, keep at it and you'll find an editor somewhere who can help with the final polish.

I'm going to go find a kleenex now - nice job.

Love, Tim

PS - You suck.

Matt,

You have a talent for this sort of writing. Keep writing this stuff, and collect it somewhere. You should seriously consider fleshing it out a little bit and sending it off to Flying. Even if they bounce it, keep at it and you'll find an editor somewhere who can help with the final polish.

I'm going to go find a kleenex now - nice job.

Love, Tim

PS - You suck.

Thank you, Tim. I had never really considered sending it to Flying, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I've always loved writing, I think I just haven't done it enough to be fully confident (or competent). I don't think I've ever brought someone to tears with my writing, though :rofl:

Sad, and well-told.
I've always liked the 1900 (tho' I never flew one or even rode in one)... but then again, I like the Short 360, too. :D

Sad, and well-told.
I've always liked the 1900 (tho' I never flew one or even rode in one)... but then again, I like the Short 360, too. :D

We run one between OLM and HIO for the corporate shuttle. Funny the number of people who complain about how small it is. Gee, nothing that big in my log book. And it gets us there quickly. Nice bird.

I've always liked the 1900 (tho' I never flew one or even rode in one)... but then again, I like the Short 360, too.

Got a thing for aesthetically unpleasant aircraft? I mean from a performance standard the 1900 was a good plane (so long as it wasn't overloaded), but I still question why they made it look the way they did. Always felt it was an injustice to a good aircraft.

I excerpted it, and posted a link back here, Matt.

http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5151

I really look forward to meeting you one fine day.

One of these days, Spike!

Got a thing for aesthetically unpleasant aircraft? I mean from a performance standard the 1900 was a good plane (so long as it wasn't overloaded), but I still question why they made it look the way they did. Always felt it was an injustice to a good aircraft.

They made it easier to point out to non-pilots. "Just look for the ugliest, most disproportionate plane in the sky...that's what I fly!"

I kinda do... I mean, I love aircraft with beautiful proportions, but anything that looks like it will perform its mission well and have good flying manners also appeals to me. That's why I also like the Transavia Airtruk and the Super Guppy. :D

They made it easier to point out to non-pilots. "Just look for the ugliest, most disproportionate plane in the sky...that's what I fly!"
I wouldn't call it THE ugliest one but it's definitely a duckling and not a swan. I always wondered how a King Air, which I think is a very good looking aircraft, could have morphed into the 1900. :dunno:

I wouldn't call it THE ugliest one but it's definitely a duckling and not a swan. I always wondered how a King Air, which I think is a very good looking aircraft, could have morphed into the 1900. :dunno:

I think they must have designed it out of Play-Doh. Want it taller? Just grab it and stretch it a bit. Want better CG range and more lateral stability? Just start slapping aerodynamic features on it until it flies straight!

I think they must have designed it out of Play-Doh. Want it taller? Just grab it and stretch it a bit. Want better CG range and more lateral stability? Just start slapping aerodynamic features on it until it flies straight!
That's funny.....and I don't care who you are.

Back