A long time ago, on an approach plate far far away (KAUS RNAV Z RWY 17L)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I think the designers of the IAP's are having a bit too much fun choosing names for the fixes....

upload_2018-5-4_18-40-54.png

Lol is that legit?

A lot of times fixes are named after local landmarks, people etc. Look at the arrivals into Nashville, many associated with country n western music.

Yeah , Nashville has a lot of county music references. They really had fun with the new ATL arrivals. Too many to post, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Braves Baseball themed.

Is there one around Chicago, something like.... Cubs Nevr Winn ?
Overheard a guy talking about it, but haven't bothered to look it up.

Lol is that legit?

Yup. 5 characters, supposedly 'pronouncable' is all the rules say I think. They do check for obscenity. Theres the "I thought I saw a puddy cat' one in Vermont or New Hampshire somewhere. Theres a Barbeque one in Kansas City. More than a few about sports teams. Some are about the 'procedures dude's' family. There was controversy years ago about naming a fix after Charles Shultz, the Peanuts cartoonist,who lived near Santa Monica, when he died. SNUPY or something like that. Some people somewhere in 'authority' said we can't keep renaming fixes about famous people everytime one of them kicks the bucket. Someone countered that with 'you gotta be kidding me, they named a whole VOR, FMG(formerly Reno) after a 'oarhouse' and we can't honor a famous cartoonist."

1X2NxXk.png

Agreed, many plates have fun waypoint names. My local favorite is ZZTOP. It is right over LaGrange. (duh) :D
Don't ask about the Willie (Nelson) arrival into hippie-town (Austin, TX). Those waypoints are named after his favorite herb and paraphernalia. :)

Y'all have seen the north pole approach plate? ;)

Back