A little bit breezy today

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
23026G35KT ... PK WND 19048

Was flying last night, surface winds were about 8-9, and winds at pattern altitude were close to 40. Made for a really fast downwind, and really slow final.

23026G35KT ... PK WND 19048

Was flying last night, surface winds were about 8-9, and winds at pattern altitude were close to 40. Made for a really fast downwind, and really slow final.

The winds at 12000 were 92kt this morning. :eek: 43 at 3000

With a 48kt peak wind, I need to see which neighbor has my deck furniture. And it's trash day today, I think the slalom course will be rough.

Yeah, there's a reason why I don't rake the leaves until January...

Hasn't let up, either:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
22031G48KT ... PK WND 21048/2145
[/FONT]

Dude you're in KS. It's weird when it ain't windy ;-)

Love the wind in the 40s on the nose ,on takeoff,you go up like a helicopter. You can almost fly backwards.

Love the wind in the 40s on the nose ,on takeoff,you go up like a helicopter. You can almost fly backwards.

Yabut the snot hangs 3 ft from yer nose when yer at the self-serve...

Dude you're in KS. It's weird when it ain't windy ;-)

We did have a tornado watch today.

Last night I was entering a downwind on the 45, but the nose was pointed at the departure end of the rwy. I can't remember ever using that much of a crab angle before. Surface winds were only about 8, so between TPA and the surface, the wind really came to a halt.

In Columbia, MO today, headed to Lawrence tonight. Gusts here this evening were impressive.

Working it's way East, I see.
A windy Autumn in the Northeast is about to get much worse. sigh.....

Yesterday was high wind warnings and a tornado watch. Winds aren't supposed to be as bad, but still around 25-30kts. Today is a fire warning (grass fires in parts of OK and KS yesterday). Days like this, with dry grass, leaves, low humidity, and wind, and one cigarette tossed out a car window can really blow things up.

When I took off out of WV today, the winds were gusting into the 40's.

I lined up, stopped, set partial power, looked at my ASI (it was alive and reading 40), released the brakes, held the nose down until 80kts+, and then came up like a helicopter. :lol:

I have to fly the RV tomorrow in this. The Lancair would laugh at it not being bothered one little bit, but the RV can be a handful. It's stall speed is just 34 knots; I'm a little apprehensive to just taxi the thing in winds like have been cited in this thread.

I have to fly the RV tomorrow in this. The Lancair would laugh at it not being bothered one little bit, but the RV can be a handful. It's stall speed is just 34 knots; I'm a little apprehensive to just taxi the thing in winds like have been cited in this thread.

The Saratoga was getting tossed quite a bit on the taxi. Throwing the controls into the wind actually helped me taxi, as opposed to just being procedure.

I'd be nervous in a light plane like the RV.

Mmm yeah... I had planned to fly an RV6 from Detroit to Charlotte NC today.
Friday continues to look interesting.

Back