A kamikaze attack in 1945

This clip gives you are rough idea of what the greatest generation had to endure to give us what we have today.

-John

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4zkp7hvrgbcd7gd/D-qPNsG9ym#lh:null-Laffey Enhanced vo 3.wmv

Good find, John. My dad was a Pharmacists Mate 2c (todays medic, or Corpsman) on an Attack Transport in the Pacific ...Kamikaze pilot drove right down the "stack" ...blew the ship out of the water. Dad was thrown into the sea, picked up and all, but took many shrapnel hits to his head ...spent the remainder of the war in hospitals ...but was OK long term.

And what does his first born son do for a living for ten years or so...?? LOL!!

Good find, John. My dad was a Pharmacists Mate 2c (todays medic, or Corpsman) on an Attack Transport in the Pacific ...Kamikaze pilot drove right down the "stack" ...blew the ship out of the water. Dad was thrown into the sea, picked up and all, but took many shrapnel hits to his head ...spent the remainder of the war in hospitals ...but was OK long term.

And what does his first born son do for a living for ten years or so...?? LOL!!

My dad was a Pharmacists Mate 3c. Volunteered for duty on a hospital ship and didn't get it. Good thing, the Japanese hit it the next time it went out. Spent his time at Mare Island Naval Shipyard and then later at NMRU #1 at UC Berkeley. He thought that last assignment was great. Mom was a student there (this was several years before they got married). Plus, he was working for a veterinarian and that guy pointed him in that direction. He ultimately went to vet school at UC Davis, taught there for 8 years and then on to WSU. The Navy was good to him.

Oh, and I worked at MINSY for a little over 4 years after graduating from college. Must have been a family thing. :D

If you guys are interested in the USS Laffey, there is a Dogfights episode on her. S2E1.

Back