A jet cheaper to operate than a 182?

Yeah the example given says the Eclipse can do 600 miles in 1+48 burning 885 lbs or about 130 gals. The C182 will do the same 600 miles in about 4+20 burning about 50 gals. Unless maintenance is a heck of a lot cheaper on the Eclipse, it's not costing less in DOC. Eclipse is an efficient jet as jets go but it ain't single piston engine cheap.

How about seat miles? How many can ride in an Eclipse?

Well that's the thing. A six seat plane compared to a 4 seat plane. If you're regularly flying an Eclipse at that load then a 182 would never fit the bill in the first place.

I find my 425 costs slightly more than my 421B to operate, capital cost is higher, fuel burn is higher, fuel is cheaper, flies faster, maintenance is higher. :dunno:
Paying $3.08 a gallon felt pretty good today! :yes:

Last edited:
This was linked to on the COPA site:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...mpared?WT.mc_id=151118special&WT.mc_sect=nbaa

Relevant factoid: they estimate the hourly cost of an Eclipse 550 at $888.59.

Hard to imagine a 182 costing that. More like 1/4 that or less.

Direct operating cost in a 182 is fuel, oil, engine-reserve, prop-reserve and prorated charge for a 100hr inspection. That's maybe $140/hr. The eclipse would have to be really really fast to beat the 182 on DOC.

Maintenance on the turbines alone runs about $120 a side, or 250/hr.

The OP was fed a story.

The guy I worked with said his engines were on a contract for all maintenance including overhaul of $200 / hour total for both engines.

The guy I worked with said his engines were on a contract for all maintenance including overhaul of $200 / hour total for both engines.

Ok, as a "power by the hour" all inclusive, I see it. Probably the most sensible way to operate turbines anyway unless you have large budgetary reserves.

Works if he can get people in the seats willing to pay their share. Highly doubtful that's how he's operating either aircraft, though. If he's paying the full bill, seat miles is a useless metric.

Works if he can get people in the seats willing to pay their share. Highly doubtful that's how he's operating either aircraft, though. If he's paying the full bill, seat miles is a useless metric.
wasn't there a company doing just that? Go jet something or other, went T-U far as I know.
I think red stripe is a fractional type setup using the eclipse though. Maybe just charter. Too lazy to look it up

Dayjet, they were operating as an air taxi though, not quite the same model.

Back