Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Had the best IPC evah yesterday.

Bullet points for brevity:
  • MVFR and IMC across our area.
  • Had to file.
  • Filed and flew a short round-robin XC, KLBO-SHY VOR(for holds)-KJEF-KTBN-KLBO.
  • Shot approaches at each airport.
  • Approaches had significant IMC...broke out twice @ less than 200' above mins.
  • Logged 1.9 of actual.
  • Entire flight was "in the system."
It's too bad all IPCs can't be this realistic and educational.

It was a blast.

Last edited:
I'm particularly interested in the accomplish of unusual attitudes when in the system.

Last edited:
I'm particularly interested in the accomplish of unusual attitudes when in the system.

We haven't done that yet. He didn't want to do that or partial panel in actual. We're flying again early next week...and boy do I need it. I've done an IPC about every 8 to 10 months or so but it's been probably 8 years since I've actually filed and flown in the system.

I'm a pretty good VFR pilot but I really suck as an instrument pilot. It's been 8 to 10 years since I've flown enough instruments to be proficient. Back when I was working across the eastern 1/2 of the country and flying over 200 hours per year.

One year I flew almost 300 hours. I used to say "these days, I'm not sitting in the airplane, I'm wearing it. We are one." It's been a long time since I've been able to say that. It was a cool place to be though! But, alas, no more. :(

Last edited:
We haven't done that yet. He didn't want to do that or partial panel in actual. We're flying again early next week...and boy do I need it. I've done an IPC about every 8 to 10 months or so but it's been probably 8 years since I've actually filed and flown in the system.
Gotcha! I didn't realize it was the beginning of an IPC and not the whole shebang. :D

Gotcha! I didn't realize it was the beginning of an IPC and not the whole shebang. :D
Yeah, intended to be all of it but with all the IMC...well...

I believe he said his intention was to ask for a block altitude while we were holding at the VOR to practice unusual attitudes and partial panel...had it been VMC. But it wasn't.

It was lotsa lotsa fun.

I'm a pretty good VFR pilot but I really suck as an instrument pilot. It's been 8 to 10 years since I've flown enough instruments to be proficient. Back when I was working across the eastern 1/2 of the country and flying over 200 hours per year.

One year I flew almost 300 hours. I used to say "these days, I'm not sitting in the airplane, I'm wearing it. We are one." It's been a long time since I've been able to say that. It was a cool place to be though! But, alas, no more. :(

Here’s something to do that would be fun. A little reverse sensing action. I was doing an IPC a few years ago and told the CFI I wanted to do that. There are still some BC Approaches out there and some SIDS that fly backwards out localizers. There weren’t any where we were and I said we’ll just go up to altitude a bit out of everyone’s way and play with it. He said he was going to start working that into the traning he gives. We just flew it a ways in the direction we were going anyway towards our next airport. You could go over to Waynesville and play around with holding at PIMEW without using TBN. And for some real fun, do it with one CDI

It's always nice to get in some actual during an IPC. Real world practice, and you can ditch the visor.

Back