A Great Day

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
Back in March of 2015 we started a ground school for youth in our EAA chapter. The on October we gained the use of another hangar and that allowed us to start a youth build program. The youth are working on an Ultra-Lite Pietenpol. The come on Saturday and work from 9:00am - 1:00pm. For each hour they work we credit them $7.50. We've set up a deal with a flying club to rent their C-150 for $75 an hour and they have some CFI's willing to donate some time. The goal is to get them to solo and then the chapter will provide scholarships for additional training with a local flight school.

A couple of months ago one of our youth started flying with the goal of soloing on his 16th birthday. Thursday was his birthday but he didn't fly well enough on Thursday to get signed off. Today was a different story and he got signed off and several of us got to witness his three laps around the pattern. It was our monthly pancake breakfast so we did the shirt tail cutting as a part of the breakfast.

The picture is the young man, his Mom and Dad and the CFI.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 39
That's awesome! I really wish I got involved in something when I was younger. I did 4 years of AFJROTC but that never included a chance to fly. I'm 26 now and just started working on my PPL a few months ago. I teach middle school and we have a career center for our high school students in the district that is right next to a local airport. I keep wondering how I can get them to purchase a 150 and start an aviation program and I could eventually get my CFI and teach that instead :D

That's awesome! I really wish I got involved in something when I was younger. I did 4 years of AFJROTC but that never included a chance to fly. I'm 26 now and just started working on my PPL a few months ago. I teach middle school and we have a career center for our high school students in the district that is right next to a local airport. I keep wondering how I can get them to purchase a 150 and start an aviation program and I could eventually get my CFI and teach that instead :D
When I was younger, says the 26 year old, :)

The AOPA is working on a curriculum to be used in high schools for aviation. Might want to check with them.

Congratulations! Need much more incentives to show our youth the wonderful world of aviation. They are the future and programs like this are a great start.;)

Congrats to him,also to the chapter. My chapter also has a youth build program. Between the build program and monthly young eagles flights,we hope to give back to the young.

Back