A good plane. Bad broker. My first experience trying to buy a plane.

I echo the sentiments of the others...it is indeed the big (and humble) man to come onto a public forum to admit a mistake and to tell your side of the story.

The father and son team admitted to not knowing how the sales process worked, but I think it was in good faith that they were trying to make you whole with the offer regarding your commission, and they were making an earnest offer on the plane. Whatever the case, it may work out for the OP and his father, and it sounds like you've got a buyer in California lined up, so perhaps this worked out for all involved despite the rough day and verbal encounter.

Ok I'll say it.....

Takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.

Hey OP, don't feel too bad. I have experienced all kinds of brokers and sellers on bad behavior. Wanted to buy one plane and there was a dispute between the seller and broker and seller decided to keep the plane.
Another plane failed prebuy so I walked away. I have decided to just be patient and rent for now to stay current.

I'm pretty sure a mechanic doing an "inspection" can't ground anything.

Correct, the mechanic cannot ground the plane. However, during the inspection the mechanic can find a condition which could ground the plane. e.g. a crack in the gear....

That is what I am referencing.

Tim

Keep in mind that in Texas if you buy through a broker you will pay sales tax.

Actually, in Texas, if the airplane is being sold from seller to buyer, even if a dealer is involved, the seller can sign a Statement of Occasional Sale allowing the buyer to skip the sales tax. The seller would have to be able to meet the conditions of that form, but in general, if the airplane was owned privately it's not a problem. If the airplane is OWNED by the dealer and is not on a consignment basis, sales tax would be applicable.

Actually, in Texas, if the airplane is being sold from seller to buyer, even if a dealer is involved, the seller can sign a Statement of Occasional Sale allowing the buyer to skip the sales tax. The seller would have to be able to meet the conditions of that form, but in general, if the airplane was owned privately it's not a problem. If the airplane is OWNED by the dealer and is not on a consignment basis, sales tax would be applicable.

This is interesting. I base my opinion on talking to a well know Texas broker several years ago who told me if bought a plane he represented I would owe sales tax.

I then looked up the actual occasional sales rule which says:

(a) Sales exempt. A taxable item that is sold or purchased by way of an occasional sale is exempt from sales and use taxes, except as provided by subsection (i) of this section.

(b) Occasional sales by persons not in the business of selling, leasing, or renting.

(1) One or two sales of taxable items, other than an amusement service, during any 12-month period by a person who does not hold himself out as engaged (or who does not habitually engage) in the business of selling taxable items are occasional sales.

(2) The third sale of a taxable item in a 12-month period by a person not previously in the business of selling, leasing, or renting taxable items causes that person to become a retailer. Tax must be collected and reported on the third sale and all subsequent sales unless the sale qualifies for exemption under paragraph (4) of this subsection or subsection (d) or (e) of this section. If three or more sales are made in a 12-month period, then the person must obtain a permit. See §3.286 of this title (relating to Seller's and Purchaser's Responsibilities, including Nexus, Permits, Returns and Reporting Periods, and Collection and Exemption Rules). Example: A lump-sum contractor sells a backhoe in October, a typewriter in December and a crane in February. The contractor has not sold, leased or rented any construction equipment prior to the sale of the backhoe; therefore, the contractor can sell the backhoe and typewriter tax free as occasional sales. The sale of the crane is the third sale within 12 months from the sale of the back-hoe. The sale of the crane is not an occasional sale. The contractor must obtain a permit, collect tax on the sale of the crane and, until an intervening 12 months have passed between sales, all subsequent sales of taxable items.

(3) The sale of not more than ten admissions for amusement services during a 12-month period by a person who does not hold himself out as engaged (or who does not habitually engage) in the provision of amusement services are occasional sales.

(4) The sale of tangible personal property by an individual is an occasional sale if:

(A) the property was originally purchased by the individual or a member of the individual's family for either of their personal use;

(B) the individual does not hold a sales tax permit and is not required to hold a sales tax permit;

(C) the sale is not made through the use of an auctioneer, broker, or factor, other than an online auction; and

(D) the total receipts from such sales do not exceed $3,000 in a calendar year. If the total receipts from the individual's sales of such tangible personal property exceed $3,000 in a calendar year, the individual must obtain a sales tax permit and collect tax on all sales of taxable items in this state, beginning with the first sale which causes the total receipts to exceed $3,000.

(5) The exemption provided under subsection (b) of this section does not apply to a rental or lease of a taxable item.

But wait, there's more!!

I took my own advice and called the Texas Comptroller's Office and asked the question.

After the agent put me on hold a few minutes and said that a buyer using a broker who purchased directly from an individual using a broker could still claim the occasional sale exemption.

He cited the rule above, and said to google a 1988 Comptroller document 980-763-0L for more details.

I couldn't find that document, and I can't myself reconcile what I was told and what the rule plainly says.

I'm not a lawyer, so I guess if the seller will sign the form and send it in then use your own judgement.

This is interesting. I base my opinion on talking to a well know Texas broker several years ago who told me if bought a plane he represented I would owe sales tax.

I then looked up the actual occasional sales rule which says:

But wait, there's more!!

I took my own advice and called the Texas Comptroller's Office and asked the question.

After the agent put me on hold a few minutes and said that a buyer using a broker who purchased directly from an individual using a broker could still claim the occasional sale exemption.

He cited the rule above, and said to google a 1988 Comptroller document 980-763-0L for more details.

I couldn't find that document, and I can't myself reconcile what I was told and what the rule plainly says.

I'm not a lawyer, so I guess if the seller will sign the form and send it in then use your own judgement.
That's good information. I'm no lawyer either, but on airplanes that we represent on a consignment basis and the seller is able to sign the form, we give that to the buyer and we've never had problems. I say never, there was one instance where the state kicked it back because the seller signed the form when he did in fact hold a tax exemption certificate, but that was a case where the seller signed it and shouldn't have.

Back