A few reasons to fall in love with Texas

Southern Texas -- especially Mustang Island -- seems to offer an optimal weather pattern, with one HUGE drawback: hurricanes. This is giving us pause, as we ponder the options before us.

On the other hand, since we've lived in Iowa we've experienced a tornado, ice storms, blizzards, and a 500 year flood that came within a few feet of wiping us out. So...are hurricanes really so bad?

The "nice" thing about hurricanes is that you have much more warning and time to prepare for them than either tornados or earthquakes. That said, they can be bad... but you can "not" be there after having prepped your property as much as possible. Having pre-cut window plywood ready BEFORE the forecast storms (when everybody else is trying to buy supplies) sure helps. Batten down the hatches, then head inland (fly your plane to Austin or Fort Worth). Let insurance deal with the rest.

Given this fact, there is really only one thing that differentiates one state from another: climate. After spending my life in Wisconsin and Iowa, I've grown weary of winter. Southern Texas -- especially Mustang Island -- seems to offer an optimal weather pattern, with one HUGE drawback: hurricanes. This is giving us pause, as we ponder the options before us.

On the other hand, since we've lived in Iowa we've experienced a tornado, ice storms, blizzards, and a 500 year flood that came within a few feet of wiping us out. So...are hurricanes really so bad?

:goofy:

No, not really. I've been through 8 of them now, 6 at sea, not comfortable, but if you're in a good boat and stay in deep water, it'll be ok, (although I took the cable clamps off the towing winch just in case I had to turn a sinking barge loose), one in port in Palm Beach, made CNN on that one, and one on land in Key West at a friends place on the edge of the ocean with 20some other people having a Hurricane party.

Jay,

After thinking about it a bit more and discussing your hotel idea with my significant other, I have to retract my previous statement about Galveston not being a good place for an aviation-themed hotel. Yes, the island is pretty saturated with hotels, but a lot of them have not yet re-opened after hurricane Ike. Right now might be the time to look at buying land and building something or buying an existing structure to refurbish. If you get an existing structure, there might even be the possibility for you to get some relief money to rehab the place. Also, they're really trying hard to get the tourism back to Galveston, so there might be some good tax breaks available for hotels (don't quote me on that, just a theory). WRT an aviation-themed hotel, I believe that there is land available at the airport (if not, there are a lot of storm-damaged hangars that probably need to be torn down), and the airport there not only has a great air museum on it, but it's also adjacent to two major attractions in Galveston - Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn water park.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my state so much... as I said before, you're welcome to come back down here any time.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my state so much... as I said before, you're welcome to come back down here any time.

Thanks! I've been (stupidly) checking the weather down there each morning, and watching as the mercury settles at around 81 degrees every day. This, as we're suffering through more record-breaking cold weather. It's like torture, let me tell you. :wink2:

We're zeroing in on a couple of properties. (BTW, Google Earth is awesome when you're looking at purchasing property in a different part of the world!) Now, it's just a matter of getting the realtors to respond. I don't know why realtors across the country are so uniformly frustrating to work with, but in every instance that I've had the misfortune of dealing with them (for business property -- residential is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish) it's been nothing but a giant pain in the ass. This has held true in Wisconsin, Iowa, and, now, Texas.

This seems odd, to me, given that they live on commission -- but it seems that just getting them to return emails or phone calls is like pulling teeth. You'd think they'd be like crabs in a bucket trying to get out, in this economy, but nope -- it's the "same old same old"...

I hope you get to do this. I love the aviation/WWII themed hotel and diner in Fredricksburg, TX. It'd be cool to have something similar on the coast to stay at.

Something to think about when it comes time to decorate:

I have had several friends who are transplants from other states from New York to California..and to a person they all comment not long after they get here what a proud bunch Texans seem to be of the state in general. You won't see many other states where state flags are common bumper stickers, decorations and flown in as many places as this state for some reason, and everyone I know who's been transplanted from somewhere else notices it fairly quickly. Put a hotel on the Texas coast decorated in Texas related aviation themes and I think you'd have a hit. Lots of Texas related aviation history to choose from too.

Good luck!

I hope you get to do this. I love the aviation/WWII themed hotel and diner in Fredricksburg, TX. It'd be cool to have something similar on the coast to stay at.

I have had several friends who are transplants from other states from New York to California..and to a person they all comment not long after they get here what a proud bunch Texans seem to be of the state in general. You won't see many other states where state flags are common bumper stickers, decorations and flown in as many places as this state for some reason, and everyone I know who's been transplanted from somewhere else notices it fairly quickly. Put a hotel on the Texas coast decorated in Texas related aviation themes and I think you'd have a hit. Lots of Texas related aviation history to choose from too.

Good luck!

Great idea! Yes, we all noticed the plethora of Texas flags on display everywhere we went. We attributed this to the fact that Texas used to be a separate country.

I'm not terribly familiar with Texas's aviation legacy. Care to enlighten me?

:wink2:

. . . . . and they have terrific bunnies down there.

HR

Attachments

• Bad-assTexasrabbit.wmv
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
Yep, that was pretty much like a Texan...:crazy::rolleyes2:

Hmm... Doing something that's likely to get you killed, repeatedly, yet somehow failing (to get killed)? Hey, you're right! :rofl:

(I'm referring mainly to your driving, Texans. ;))

Good luck!

I'm also a transplant, and I noticed this right away when I moved here too. For the first year I lived here, I got annoyed by all of the "Texas is better than anywhere else on the planet, period" mentality that runs rampant here. After I'd been here for a year, however, I realized that it's true, so it doesn't bother me any more! :) Now I say, I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!

Great idea! Yes, we all noticed the plethora of Texas flags on display everywhere we went. We attributed this to the fact that Texas used to be a separate country.

I'm not terribly familiar with Texas's aviation legacy. Care to enlighten me?

Certainly! Texas' aviation history, particularly in the Houston area, stretches back to the very early days of aviation. There is a timeline of Houston aviation history on The 1940 Air Terminal Museum's website - http://www.1940airterminal.org. On the left side, under "Exhibits", click on the Houston's Aviation History Timeline link.

With all of the airlines that were founded or based in Texas at one time or another, you could probably have a suite dedicated to each one (and there are enough surviving members of these outfits that you could probably fill up the rooms pretty quickly) - Trans-Texas Airways/Texas International/Continental Airlines, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, the short-lived Muse Air, Braniff, Eastern, Texas Air Transport, Gulf Coast Airways/Southern Air Transport, Bowen Air Lines, Long & Harmon, and Essair, to name a few. Not to mention that Mooney and American Legend are both based in Texas.

For a first-hand account of aviation history in Texas, I would suggest you contact the museum at 713-454-1940 and order Captain A.J. High's book, "Meant to Fly" - Captain High is one of the volunteers at the museum, and he learned to fly in the Dallas area as a teenager in the 1920's & 1930's. He flew in WWII, then came back and was one of the founding pilots of Trans-Texas Airways. He landed the first airplane at Houston Intercontinental Airport in 1969 - it was a Texas International DC-9 at 12:01a the day it opened. The book is a great first-hand account of aviation history here in Texas, and is a good read, to boot.

Hope all this helps!

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If he isn't, don't embarrass him."

:cornut:

It sure does -- thanks!

Weren't the WASPs based in Sweetwater, Texas?

I'm not sure where they were ultimately based, but the first two squadrons were trained at Hobby Airport - in the hangar that still stands to the south of the museum.

It sure does -- thanks!

Weren't the WASPs based in Sweetwater, Texas?

Indeed, Avenger Field at Sweetwater.

http://www.texasescapes.com/WorldWarII/Avenger-Field-Sweetwater-Army-Airfield-Texas.htm

There are those who contend that the first powered flight occurred not at Kitty Hawk, but rather, at Fredericksburg, Texas, on September 20, 1865. The man: Jacob Brodbeck.

http://texaslesstraveled.com/brodbeck.htm

Now, why they have pictures of the Wrights' plane in that story, I have not one clue.

I like it: the Jacob Brodbeck Suite!

There are those who contend that the first powered flight occurred not at Kitty Hawk, but rather, at Fredericksburg, Texas, on September 20, 1865. The man: Jacob Brodbeck.

http://texaslesstraveled.com/brodbeck.htm

Now, why they have pictures of the Wrights' plane in that story, I have not one clue.

And had it not been for the unfortunate collision with the jackelope, Brodbeck's name would be in history books everywhere!

Trapper John

Lots of military aviation history as well. Training for years in and around San Antonio, Witchita Falls and along the coast among other places in just about every training aircraft there is. Bell Helicopter is based here and has been since it was Bell Aviation and moved from New York in the late 40's, early 50's. The Huey and every notable Bell aircraft since was born here.

General Dynamics developed the F-16 in Fort Worth in the same plant that LOTS of aircraft for WWII and beyond were built (Consolidated's B-24 Liberator and the B-36 Peacemaker for example). Somewhere I have a picture of my grandmother working on B-24's in that plant during the war. It's now a Lockheed plant.

On the corner of one of the hangers near the terminal at Meacham you can still see the original 1920's era American Airlines logo carved in the stone. Very cool.

Can't forget Houston and NASA as well! The first words from the moon were spoken to mission control in Houston.

Too many other connections to mention. Just Google "Texas aviation history" and you'll be amazed at how much aviation history there is in the state.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, NASA, how could I forget! Right down the road here at Ellington Airport (formerly Ellington Field until some marketing yahoo in city government decided the new name would make it more appealing) we have astronauts and astronauts-to-be taking off and landing T-38's daily. It's also a stop-over point for NASA905 Heavy and NASA911 Heavy, the shuttle transport 747's, and home to NASA's Super Guppy!

Oh yeah, NASA, how could I forget! Right down the road here at Ellington Airport (formerly Ellington Field until some marketing yahoo in city government decided the new name would make it more appealing) we have astronauts and astronauts-to-be taking off and landing T-38's daily. It's also a stop-over point for NASA905 Heavy and NASA911 Heavy, the shuttle transport 747's, and home to NASA's Super Guppy!

Yeah, there's a lot of fun stuff there. :yes:

Here's a pic I took just after landing there in 2005:

web.jpg

Oh yeah, NASA, how could I forget! Right down the road here at Ellington Airport (formerly Ellington Field until some marketing yahoo in city government decided the new name would make it more appealing) we have astronauts and astronauts-to-be taking off and landing T-38's daily.
I learned to fly out of EFD. Who was the idiot who renamed it?!

Mixing in with ANG jets and T-38s in a 172 with a 600 AGL pattern altitude demands you keep on your toes, and the tower controllers are all cool, professional and efficient. It was a pleasure to operate out of there.

Mixing in with ANG jets and T-38s in a 172 with a 600 AGL pattern altitude demands you keep on your toes, and the tower controllers are all cool, professional and efficient. It was a pleasure to operate out of there.

Agreed. And it was kind of cool to hear "check gear down, cleared to land" too. :goofy:

Didn't read the whole thread but had to jump in and say that as a 18-year Texas transplant that I feel blessed beyond belief, by being able to claim the L.S. State as my domicile.

I am amused by, and never took offense at, displays of 'state pride' that I have seen Texans exhibit; to me it's a healthy exhuberance, an expression of delight and thankfulness - and most Texans simply want to share what they have been gifted - they are not trying to put any other state down, ime.

The main attraction of this fine place to me, has been the innumerable warm, genuine, intelligent, friendly and helpful folk I have had the pleasure to meet and live among. (Truth be told, I have met hundreds of such people from many states/nations, maybe its because I live here that Texans seem to get close to my heart, quicker!)

And what a wonderful place to aviate!

In that case, I'll give you a little off-topic update. Cliff Hyde recently retired, or at least semi-retired, and sold off his operation to Flying Tigers. Flying Tigers was the outfit that took over Fletcher Aviation at HOU when Mae Belle Fletcher retired. The FBO that Flying Tigers rented space from found a higher bidder, so they were forced to leave Hobby, thereby ending 60+ years of flight training at that airport, as they were the last flight school left on the field. When they found out that Cliff was thinking about retiring, they bought his operation and moved to EFD. Now, Flying Tigers offers training in Fletcher's Grummans and Cliff's Cessnas and Tecnam. My understanding is that Cliff is staying on for the short-term as a chief instructor or advisor to Robert McCorvey, owner of Flying Tigers.

WRT the name change, the Houston Airport System recently did that to try to encourage more GA traffic at that airport. They felt that Ellington Field kept people away because it sounded more like a military base, which it originally was and still kind of is. My understanding is that the section of the airport that houses the Air & Army National Guard wings is still called Ellington Field, but the civilian side is now to be referred to as Ellington Airport. You might be able to find a blurb about it on http://www.fly2houston.com.

Agreed. And it was kind of cool to hear "check gear down, cleared to land" too. :goofy:

I've not landed at Ellington myself (though I am an AGI for Flying Tigers), but I understand that the tower is still as friendly and helpful as ever. You can still mix it up with the T-38's, but 147th Fighter Wing of the TX ANG is gone, as are their F-16's. There are still a couple of F-16's based there at all times to patrol the airspace around the Johnson Space Center, but they are rotated in from other guard units. It is now the 147th Reconnaissance Wing, and their cockpits are now inside of trailers that stay earthbound as they fly Predator UAV's now. There is still an Army National Guard helo wing based there.

Didn't read the whole thread but had to jump in and say that as a 18-year Texas transplant that I feel blessed beyond belief, by being able to claim the L.S. State as my domicile.

I am amused by, and never took offense at, displays of 'state pride' that I have seen Texans exhibit; to me it's a healthy exhuberance, an expression of delight and thankfulness - and most Texans simply want to share what they have been gifted - they are not trying to put any other state down, ime.

The main attraction of this fine place to me, has been the innumerable warm, genuine, intelligent, friendly and helpful folk I have had the pleasure to meet and live among. (Truth be told, I have met hundreds of such people from many states/nations, maybe its because I live here that Texans seem to get close to my heart, quicker!)

:yes:

It is now the 147th Reconnaissance Wing, and their cockpits are now inside of trailers that stay earthbound as they fly Predator UAV's now.

So...are the UAVs based there -- or just the pilots? Just curious.

I guess it really doesn't matter where the UAVs are -- the Predators themselves could be in Kuwait, for all it matters, given satellite technology...

How sad, to give up F-16s for R/C planes. Sure, the technology is amazing, but what a let-down it's got to be for the Air Force to find themselves flying over-grown toys, instead of fighter jets. I wonder if their recruiting techniques and goals for new pilots has shifted from searching for meat-eating young studs to pasty-skinned computer nerds...?

Yeah, I don't even bother to post over on Rec.aviation.piloting anymore. It's just not worth the abuse from a bunch of wannabe trolls.

It's sad. RAP was a great place to be, for a very long time.

Ha! I was just reading this and couldn't remember where I recognized your name. It was RAP! I used to hang out there from about 1998-2001 or so. I can't remember what name I used though. I don't think I used my real name. I'm just getting back into flying and went back to RAP and couldn't BELIEVE how different it was! I don't even bother anymore. I had a hard time finding another aviation forum and stumbled on this site a few days ago. Yay!

So, HI! :cornut:

Ha! I was just reading this and couldn't remember where I recognized your name. It was RAP! I used to hang out there from about 1998-2001 or so. I can't remember what name I used though. I don't think I used my real name. I'm just getting back into flying and went back to RAP and couldn't BELIEVE how different it was! I don't even bother anymore. I had a hard time finding another aviation forum and stumbled on this site a few days ago. Yay!

A LOT of RAP folks came over here after it was subverted by unnamed forces! We welcomed them with open arms, just as we welcome you! :yes:
You'll have to join us on our next midwest meetup. Sheboygan, Friar Tucks (OSH), or Watertown would all be pretty close for you!

You'll have to join us on our next midwest meetup. Sheboygan, Friar Tucks (OSH), or Watertown would all be pretty close for you!
...and if you're not doing anything Labor Day weekend, come join us at 6Y9, Prickett-Grooms Field in Sidnaw, MI. A nice, laid back good time.

Last edited:
...and if you're not doing anything Labor Day weekend, come join us at 6Y9, Grooms Prickett Field in Sidnaw, MI. A nice, laid back good time.
YES!!! We have a blast! The Fredericks really lay out the town for us!

Hi, back!

RAP died a painful death in the last year, when two remarkably persistent trolls invaded and began to respond to EVERY post with insults and personal attacks on every poster. (It seemed as if they never slept, with posts that were time-stamped virtually around the clock.)

I wouldn't have thought it possible for such a small number of people to destroy what had been a VERY tight-knit group in such short order -- but over the course of months every, single poster of note abandoned the forum in the face of such withering and determined attacks.

The saddest part is that no one seems to understand (or be able to explain) the motives behind these obviously mentally ill trolls. The scariest part is that they may actually be active pilots -- and that we're all sharing the skies with them.

PofA is a wonderful breath of fresh air. I'm glad we all discovered it.

I wouldn't have thought it possible for such a small number of people to destroy what had been a VERY tight-knit group in such short order

This is a very good description of what happens when a forum/chatgroup is left completely unmoderated. The ensuing anarchy is very destructive. Without leadership, a few can quickly ruin it for the rest of the people.
Kudos to POA mods for keeping this a great place to visit!

This is a very good description of what happens when a forum/chatgroup is left completely unmoderated. The ensuing anarchy is very destructive. Without leadership, a few can quickly ruin it for the rest of the people.
Kudos to POA mods for keeping this a great place to visit!

Amen, brother.

I grew up in Oklahoma, ended up in Texas later. They said when I moved it raised the average IQ in both states.

How sad, to give up F-16s for R/C planes. Sure, the technology is amazing, but what a let-down it's got to be for the Air Force to find themselves flying over-grown toys, instead of fighter jets. I wonder if their recruiting techniques and goals for new pilots has shifted from searching for meat-eating young studs to pasty-skinned computer nerds...?

The 'Golden Age' of jet fighters is pretty much over. The future is just a little too sanitized for my taste (launch, seek out the enemy, go beak to beak, and then NOT TURN!?!?!? Where's the fun in that?)

Wow -- yet ANOTHER reason to love Texas:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashtx.htm

WAKE UP CALL: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said. “That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.”

Perry continued: "Millions of Texans are tired of Washington, DC trying to come down here to tell us how to run Texas."

A number of recent federal proposals are not within the scope of the federal government’s constitutionally designated powers and impede the states’ right to govern themselves. HCR 50 affirms that Texas claims sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

It also designates that all compulsory federal legislation that requires states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties, or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding, be prohibited or repealed.

Ya gotta love a state that still thinks it's a separate country! :yes:

I wonder if they're going to give back all the money they get from the Fed while they're at it.

I wonder if they're going to give back all the money they get from the Fed while they're at it.

No one "gets" money from the Feds- at best, they get back money.

The problem is, money filtered through the federal mill becomes money-lite, losing most of its inherent value.

Back