A daylight readable iPad?

You can buy anti-reflective coating sheets almost anywhere nowadays.
However, many users report trouble applying them (just like any other foil) and the anti-reflective coating, being slightly coarse, might hinder the touch feature of the tablet, as reported by some users.
No need to buy a brand new myPad, you can just apply the foil to your current one.

I've never seen an anti-reflective coating that didn't also interfere with the sharpness of the screen. The severity varies, but there is always some loss of clarity. DRAT...None of the leaked info mentions improved brightness.

Last edited:
You can buy anti-reflective coating sheets almost anywhere nowadays.
However, many users report trouble applying them (just like any other foil) and the anti-reflective coating, being slightly coarse, might hinder the touch feature of the tablet, as reported by some users.
No need to buy a brand new myPad, you can just apply the foil to your current one.

Doesn't work for sh*t - still can't see it. Hardware needs to be brighter.

OLED display like the Samsung Tab S

My iPad is on ship's power when I fly...I want to crank that puppy up to brightness 11.

They definitely need brighter screens. A factory glare coating might help, but I'd be skeptical that they could keep the screen sharpness up. There is no substitute for nits.

My yoke mount has a glare shield that shades the iPad from most lighting angles. Works like a champ. Plus, it keeps it from overheating.

You need >=600 nits brightness plus an anti reflective "matte" screen protector.

I am not up on i-thingys but for android the Asus TF700 series is awesome under the bubble canopy of my plane.

Wait! Wait!
I'm an Android guy so I respond:
Why bother? There's nothing worth reading on an iPad.

And so starts another religious war. :goofy:

I have an IPad Mini with the anti-glare cover many of the other RV guys use - the consensus is/was that it is among the best for anti-glare (don't remember the brand). Sumbitch is unreadable in direct sunlight.

Last edited:
I have one of the glare shields,yes the reduction to definition is there, but it doesn't seem particularly detrimental especially in the light of the increase in view ability it gives in lighted conditions.

One thing I found is to apply the dry ones cleanly is virtually impossible, the ones that go on wet like an old style decal though are quite simple to get a nice result.

Last edited:
If you have a mini, you don't need a high wing or a layer of plastic.

ipro-navigator-yoke-mount.gif

High wing

Actually, I have a high wing (with big windows and a skylight) and the brightness on my iPad III is barely adequate.

I really think if Apple put a screen in an iPad with 2-3x times the brightness, they would sell a LOT of them. After all, if you don't need all that brightness you can just turn it down to save power.

Even if such a device was a net drain, even with power connected and the screen cranked up, it would still give a bunch of hours before the charger could not keep up and you'd have to turn down the brightness or power off and recharge.

Back