A Cooler Fly In Fishing Lodge

bstratt said:
Okay, its not central (except to North America) but it has a 2,400 ft grass strip and looks like great fishing, and everyone would get to log an international flight for bonus points! Got to be cooler than Arkansas!

http://www.northshorelodgeontario.com/index.shtml

A lot of rental and club people would be unable to make it. I would offer up the strip we are reopening this year with camping on our property right across the street, but how many of you are comfortable on a 2000' grass strip with your plane?

N2212R said:
A lot of rental and club people would be unable to make it. I would offer up the strip we are reopening this year with camping on our property right across the street, but how many of you are comfortable on a 2000' grass strip with your plane?

Pete says he only needs about 1500' for the Stinson.
(Dee rolls her eyes and mutters something about tall trees at the end of the runway.....)

N2212R said:

When I asked, the Mooney factory demonstrator pilots considered a 2000' grass runway to be absolute minimum length, to be to be executed only if the buyer was fully qualified and committed, and the runway landing & T/O demonstration (or lack of) was a deal killer. The demonstrator aircraft are very low time airframes & engines affording the pilot the best chance of meeting or exceeding POH book performance. My Mooney long ago ceased to meet that description.

Y'all are wonderful people and all, but, IOW, if 2000' of grass is the airport for a fly-in I'll pass.

I'm with Ed. 2000' of grass is not enough for a Mooney. OTOH, someplace with somewhat lower temps and cleaner air than we experienced at Gaston's wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yah, but Vermillion Bay airport is VERY close and has 3000 feet EW and is unobstructed to the east. I've been in there eight times and have passed the sign to NorthShore Lodge many times. They'll come and get you at Vermillion Bay, too.

As in Bruce-gets-in-there-regularly-in-a-ground-hogging-twin.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I would offer up the strip we are reopening this year with camping on our property right across the street, but how many of you are comfortable on a 2000' grass strip with your plane?
Piece of cake. ;)

If we do another fly in this year, does the location need to have a grass strip? I know most tail draggers prefer grass. And are we going to keep it in the midwest?

I would do Gaston's grass strip, but I'm not doing a 2,400 ft. grass strip in the Tiger. Of course it there's a nearby alternate, no worries.

Anthony said:
I would do Gaston's grass strip, but I'm not doing a 2,400 ft. grass strip in the Tiger. Of course it there's a nearby alternate, no worries.

What is the shortest grass strip everyone would be happy with?

North Shore Lodge (Ont, Ca)would be really, really good.

I can do 2400 grass if it's unobstructed and 78F or less. But add either and I'm at the alternate airport.

Dean said:
What is the shortest grass strip everyone would be happy with?

For me I'd want at least 3,000 ft at lower altitudes, not high plains.

bbchien said:
North Shore Lodge (Ont, Ca)would be really, really good.

I can do 2400 grass if it's unobstructed and 78F or less. But add either and I'm at the alternate airport.

2,400', grass, < 25C, what would be your loading in that scenario?

Great fishin' here:

West Yellowstone (KWYS) is nearby....

I reccommend Tower Rock Lodge, it is a fishing lodge located in Soldotna, AK near the Kenai River. It is considered to be a World Class Luxury Fishing Lodge, offering private cabins, gourmet meals and all the fishing you can handle. You can check out their vacation packages at towerrocklodge.com

Back