A Cloud Nine Transport Video

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm working on getting better at these video things. I'll never get to the @SixPapaCharlie level, but maybe I can get to the @Ted DuPuis level. Wait...

Anyway, I recorded some video from my last transport that shows some of the behind the scenes details of what goes into a Cloud Nine transport. It's got a lot of aviation content, so I thought you all would appreciate.

Cool video Ted, enjoyed it.

Thanks! I’ll make more.

If you like the videos, please subscribe. If I get 1k subscribers YouTube will let me start monetizing and I can put that money towards Cloud Nine expenses.

I also enjoyed the video, Ted (and I subscribed to your channel). One small comment; your pilot friends might find this more interesting than animal lovers who are not aviation geeks. Half the video gets you to the point of having the engines started. ;) I noticed your comment at the end, that you weren't able to get any shots of unloading because of time and lighting constraints. Maybe next time! It would also help if you had someone else to handle the camera. Another idea would be to have one video aimed at pilots, and another one aimed at animal lovers, not that they are mutually exclusive, but I can see non-pilot eyes glazing over when you talk about the technical aspects of the airplane.

I also enjoyed the video, Ted (and I subscribed to your channel). One small comment; your pilot friends might find this more interesting than animal lovers who are not aviation geeks. Half the video gets you to the point of having the engines started. ;) I noticed your comment at the end, that you weren't able to get any shots of unloading because of time and lighting constraints. Maybe next time! It would also help if you had someone else to handle the camera. Another idea would be to have one video aimed at pilots, and another one aimed at animal lovers, not that they are mutually exclusive, but I can see non-pilot eyes glazing over when you talk about the technical aspects of the airplane.

I agree with all your points Mari. Obviously I also had a lot of bad angles, partly due to the fact that I’m doing all the recording with my phone and my phone is old, so the front camera doesn’t work well and looks blurry. The phone mount works well in theory.

I could get a Virb and record with that, but then I couldn’t just easily put a video together with iMovie like I can do now. A new phone is probably in order for other reasons.

As far as content, I agree that what appeals to pilots doesn’t appeal to animal lovers for the most part. A lot of our supporters are pilots and aviation enthusiasts, but not all (or even most) so getting that balance is hard. Normally I do have someone else hold the phone for recording video during loading and unloading. I thought the time lapse of loading from inside the plane would be a neat perspective.

The overall response seems positive (although no donations from it yet) so I’ll keep doing it.

My channel is very ADHD. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Good vid. I agree, it’s mostly from the aviation side. Maybe in the future you could highlight the various backgrounds of your passengers. :D

Gotta hand it to ya. Looks like long days of work with lots of coordination involved. A noble endeavor.

Reactions: Ted
I agree with all your points Mari. Obviously I also had a lot of bad angles, partly due to the fact that I’m doing all the recording with my phone and my phone is old, so the front camera doesn’t work well and looks blurry. The phone mount works well in theory.

I could get a Virb and record with that, but then I couldn’t just easily put a video together with iMovie like I can do now. A new phone is probably in order for other reasons.
I know it had to be difficult to produce a video while also doing the transport. You could always take your phone swimming, like I did, to justify a new, waterproof one. ;)

Ted: Might carry a bundle or two of the zip ties and knock down the empty carriers and gain some room. Reassemble as needed...Same brand carriers should nest when knocked down.

I know it had to be difficult to produce a video while also doing the transport. You could always take your phone swimming, like I did, to justify a new, waterproof one. ;)

The new iPhones are insanely expensive, that said they are good. I may make the plunge at some point soon.

Thank you. Good video. Subscribed.

Ted: Might carry a bundle or two of the zip ties and knock down the empty carriers and gain some room. Reassemble as needed...Same brand carriers should nest when knocked down.

I actually do that, but I also have multiple configurations depending on the load. So I always test fit before leaving home if I’m using my cages.

Some groups provide the animals in crates already, which is ideal. I just show up with an empty plane, throw crates in plane, pull crates out at destination, and I’m done.

Ted, I’m sure you’re already aware but it looks like the right engine oil pressure is reading on the left side and vice versa. I noticed it at about the 10:20 mark of the video.

Is that one of the squawks you were going to have addressed in your shop visit? I’d hate to see a healthy motor accidentally caged in the heat of the moment if you had a loss of oil pressure.

I enjoyed the video.

Ted, just take this kid with you next time. He made this one for me. I'd take him on every flight if I could but he done went on to college.

Ted, I’m sure you’re already aware but it looks like the right engine oil pressure is reading on the left side and vice versa. I noticed it at about the 10:20 mark of the video.

Is that one of the squawks you were going to have addressed in your shop visit? I’d hate to see a healthy motor accidentally caged in the heat of the moment if you had a loss of oil pressure.

I enjoyed the video.

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that. :)

Yes, that’s one of the squawks to get addressed. The shop made the error when they were behind the panel. I’ve been aware of it. It will get fixed at the next shop visit.

Last night I looked at my YouTube statistics for the Cloud Nine video. One thing I noted was that the average watch time was about 30% through the video. So like @Everskyward said, the dog peoples eyes probably glazed over before the engines were running. ;)

Last night I looked at my YouTube statistics for the Cloud Nine video. One thing I noted was that the average watch time was about 30% through the video. So like @Everskyward said, the dog peoples eyes probably glazed over before the engines were running. ;)
I'm 100% dog people myself. And 100% aviation people. So I watched it 1.3 times.

I'm 100% dog people myself. And 100% aviation people. So I watched it 1.3 times.

:rofl:

We really need a “laugh” reaction on this forum, not just the “like”...

Good video. I guess I'm the weird one and skipped most of the dog portions. Would have liked to seen the transitions into and out of IFR as well as normal speed landing. Subbed

Good video. I guess I'm the weird one and skipped most of the dog portions. Would have liked to seen the transitions into and out of IFR as well as normal speed landing. Subbed

Yeah, I would expect the average on here to be more interested in the airplane portions than the dog portions, although we have many dog lovers on here.

I think at some point before too long I’ll do a video about the MU-2. Or maybe a couple.

Edit: and thanks for subscribing!

Last edited:
Ted, your video made my wife's day. She's had several rescues over the years, including the hound dog sleeping next to my Aussie. A friend and co-worker was doing the same thing here in OKC a couple of weeks ago, loading a Merlin with rescues headed north.

Back