A C172 in class A?

ahmad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Midwest Aviator
Don't know what is going on but I am seeing a C172 at FL190 on flightaware.

I was going to rent this plane tomorrow but I may wait on that. ha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630_200635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_200635_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 83
Looks like its erroneous given the track log, which jumps around quite a bit.

I think the plane I was flying today was jumping into the flight levels via transponder, lol. Might be some equipment that needs adjusting.

Pretty clearly erroneous data, but I did have a 150 hp Warrior to 17,500 once. If it had been a 180 hp 172, I bet I could have reached Class A.

VFR non-ADSB tracks in Flight Aware frequently have spurious positions inserted in them.
I cruised home from Cincinnati one day at 17,000 in my Navion. Some of the highest ground speeds I'd ever seen (260 knots).

He turned the heat on, and there’s a hole in the static line near the encoder.

At least, that’s why I was told to stop altitude squawk once.

So there I was….

Popping off a low level picking up clearance to somewhere… “Approach this is Skyhawk Seven blah blah blah”, while scooting along at 4 bills and a thousand feet or so.

“Skyhawk Seven, uh, wow, you’re cleared blah blah blah, and uh, what kind of Skyhawk are you anyway?”

“Douglas”

“Aaaaaah, that makes more sense!”

Pretty clearly erroneous data, but I did have a 150 hp Warrior to 17,500 once. If it had been a 180 hp 172, I bet I could have reached Class A.

How close to stall was your IAS up there?

If he got that high, it means he was properly adjusting Vy, which means it was above the published Vx, which means well above stall.

To be fair, I was using orographic lift for a lot of it (the wind hitting a ridge and rising, with you in it).

Although yes, I was attempting to maintain some semblance of Vy adjusted for altitude. Especially near the end, there was a pretty fine line between climbing feebly and descending, really just a few knots (or mph in my case).

This happens every time you let a sailplane pilot rent a Skyhawk.

Back