A C130 Up Close and Personal

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Last night my instructor and I did my night XC. We flew from Anderson, IN to Columbus, IN. The most exciting part of the night was me acting like a deer caught in the headlights every time I keyed the mic to talk to Indianapolis Center. I don't know who that guy was, but I can picture him banging his head against the wall....

At any rate, upon arrival at Columbus we were cleared to land on RY 14 and there was an air guard C130 cleared to land on RY 23. I suppose the tower thought the C130 would be down and gone before we got to the airport - but they were out farther than expected.

I turned final and my instructor said "See the C130 to our left?" and I glanced over to see him on a short final just as we were. The C130 called the tower and announced their position. The tower then requested that we go around. So I applied full power and started my climb to go around. As we got over top of the RY 23 at about 350', the C130 went directly underneath of us. It's was just HUGE! It was an incredible sight, and not something you get to see every day, that's for sure. =)

I think it would have been a lot bigger viewed at gorund level at the runway intersection. :D

At my airport (VAY), if you fly south you have the chance of intersecting the pattern for McGuire AFB. The squadron based there is a transport squadron - C-130s and the newer replacement (can't remember what it is).

Once in a while we'll have to turn away for them.

They do AF transport training out of Lackland (Kelly) down here. The Kelly Class D and the Stinson Class D intersect.

AF has a couple of C-5s based at Lackland. It's always a sight to see them lumbering around the pattern doing T&G's. Think of how much jet fuel that burns....

MSmith said:
At my airport (VAY), if you fly south you have the chance of intersecting the pattern for McGuire AFB. The squadron based there is a transport squadron - C-130s and the newer replacement (can't remember what it is).

Once in a while we'll have to turn away for them.

Fly a little further south and check out the view over Dover and their C-5s. Impressive!

I've done that! My long solo XC for my private was to GED and I flew by Dover over the bay both directions.

I was holding short of 22R at Honolulu, and heard the tower clear someone to position and hold, on 22L. As I was looking around I heard, "You want me to go over or around the Grumman in front of me." I turned around and saw a really big nosegear. As I looked up the same voice said, "Hi down there." A DC-10 looks massive at that distance!

Joe Williams said:
Fly a little further south and check out the view over Dover and their C-5s. Impressive!
You ain't kidding! I did my long solo XC over Dover. Pics attached:

Just read the slowroll c130 video. The crash looks survivable - did everyone on board make it?

Hrmm, something just doesn't jive with the story posted on their web site.

I've studied the video closely and the first set of rockets fire at 9:07:59.23 and the second set fires at 9:08:00.67 - just a little over 1.5 seconds EARLY...

Nobody counted to three!

inav8r said:
Hrmm, something just doesn't jive with the story posted on their web site.

I've studied the video closely and the first set of rockets fire at 9:07:59.23 and the second set fires at 9:08:00.67 - just a little over 1.5 seconds EARLY...

Nobody counted to three!

Sure he did, just very quickly! :D

If you find your way down here and the C-5's are up "practicing" like they were today, you'll know by their callsign: "UHaul".

Back