A Business Owner (Again)

A number of reasons, but the most compelling was the desire to sell shares of many different types in the near future, and to have a large number of shareholders. Additionally, not having to add "LLC" to the end of what has the possibility of being a very controversial business was desireable as well, for public relations matters.

Drunk Monkeys, LLC dba Drunk Monkeys

That would have been an easy problem to fix.

2.5M shares, eh?

Just make sure you observe the "corporate form" - holding meetings, separate bank accounts, etc. That can be very important to maintaining the protection that a corporation provides.

Good luck!

I would think that someone with Nick's education and background would have a good handle on all of that.

What do you mean by that??!! Only three things consistently make money, booze, nicotine and sex. A guys gotta be diversified in these difficult times! :D

You missed the new one... "Internet Access". Once people have had high-speed access to the Crack House known as the Internet, they'll pay anything to keep it.

Being dead serious. Think in terms of investments. Cash outlay.

How many of us could "cut the cable" and go no-Internet Cold Turkey? I cut the pay-TV out of my life... but didn't cut the IP connectivity!

How high would the price have to go before you turned it off? :)

Do you have to check that they're not intoxicated when you deliver? I know it defeats the purpose, but at least in Mass, you can't sell alcohol to a drunk.

You cant sell to a known alcoholic either here.

You cant sell to a known alcoholic either here.

There is some debate on the whole topic of intoxication, on whether or not we are "selling" beer to anyone. In the mean time, I am leaning toward the more conservative "No sales to intoxicated people."

Not sure how that will work once everything is settled.

Tell the driver to hold a breathalzyer up to the keyhole while he's waiting for them to answer the door.

There is some debate on the whole topic of intoxication, on whether or not we are "selling" beer to anyone. In the mean time, I am leaning toward the more conservative "No sales to intoxicated people."

Not sure how that will work once everything is settled.

I just found this thread. I have only read a few posts so far so excuse me if this has been suggested. FRANCHISE! Find out what legal protections you can put in so that you can profit from the idea instead of just the work. I would be your first customer, and maybe even a franchisee here in Florida.

Since this thread was revived today, I'll post this:

Ga. Supreme Court says convenience store liable for fatal accident

The court ruled that Exprezit! Stores 98-Georgia could be held liable for selling a 12-pack of beer to a man named Billy Grundell. Grundell was noticeably intoxicated when making the purchase in a Clinch County convenience store. He later struck a van with his vehicle and killed himself and five other people. Attorney and WABE Legal Analyst Page Pate says the ruling is significant.

"The dram shop act which normally had in the past had only applied only to bars, restaurants, clubs will now apply to any facility, convenience store, grocery store, package store that sells alcohol."

That'll eventually lead to the people making the beer being held liable someday.

Good gravy, is stupidity always someone else's responsibility to monitor and stop?

I suppose it is since the lawyers always keep digging until they find the money.

when you look at the majority of state legislatures, you find they are made up mostly of lawyers. Judges are lawyers. A lot of governors are lawyers. US congress is mostly lawyers. Federal judges are lawyers. It appears to me that the system is created by, and for, lawyers. And it is designed to go after people or busnesses who have deeper pockets. I dont look at it so much as people not taking resonsibility for their own actions, as much as its a culture of sue-happy lawyers. greedy people are the by-product.

disclaimer: I do not hate lawyers. If I am in trouble, thats who I am calling. Imagine if the FAA regulation/administrative/medical were made up of mostly GA pilots. (maybe it is...but I doubt it)

when you look at the majority of state legislatures, you find they are made up mostly of lawyers. Judges are lawyers. A lot of governors are lawyers. US congress is mostly lawyers. Federal judges are lawyers. It appears to me that the system is created by, and for, lawyers.
I don't see why anyone finds this surprising. They are writing and enacting laws. Presumably you have an advantage if you have some training.

I don't see why anyone finds this surprising. They are writing and enacting laws. Presumably you have an advantage if you have some training.

I think the typical argument is with the laws being self serving and sufficiently complex in language, and legal jargon to require the intepretation of attorneys and judges. I am not saying that complexity isn't sometimes a necessity due to the issues being addressed, I'm just saying that is a common criticism.

Then there is the argument that the Trial Lawyers have too much clout because many legislatures are made up of them.

The real issue is these seats have become filled with career politicians, not average citizens, another ruling class so to speak.

The real issue is these seats have become filled with career politicians, not average citizens, another ruling class so to speak.
I don't think there is anything wrong with career politicians just as I don't see that there is anything wrong with career pilots, doctors or engineers. The more you do something you presumably become better at it. You wouldn't want the average citizen doing surgery on you.

I don't think there is anything wrong with career politicians just as I don't see that there is anything wrong with career pilots, doctors or engineers. The more you do something you presumably become better at it. You wouldn't want the average citizen doing surgery on you.

I'd rather have a representative mix of society, jobs and professions in government and have their reign be temporary. I'd rather have someone representing me than representing themselves getting re-elected. Your analogy is flawed.

Politicians that are good campaigners do not always make good legislators or executive managers of a cit, state or country.

I think the typical argument is with the laws being self serving and sufficiently complex in language, and legal jargon to require the intepretation of attorneys and judges. I am not saying that complexity isn't sometimes a necessity due to the issues being addressed, I'm just saying that is a common criticism.

It isn't possible to frame the interactions between people clearly and accurately without complexity.

I'd rather have a representative mix of society, jobs and professions in government and have their reign be temporary. I'd rather have someone representing me than representing themselves getting re-elected. Your analogy is flawed.
My analogy is not flawed. My opinion is just different from yours. But then I notice this is not SZ so I will leave it at that.

I seriously believe we need to institute a draft for house and senate seats. 2 year term, commensurate pay, take money from lobby groups and you go to jail and complete your term there, then you go back to the real world. Just like the military used to be.

Put the "civil service" back into Civil Service.

My analogy is not flawed. My opinion is just different from yours. But then I notice this is not SZ so I will leave it at that.

You put the thrust reversers on in flight again Mari?

:D

I seriously believe we need to institute a draft for house and senate seats. 2 year term, commensurate pay, take money from lobby groups and you go to jail and complete your term there, then you go back to the real world. Just like the military used to be.

Put the "civil service" back into Civil Service.
I don't have much faith in our legislators but I have even less in "the average person". Look around you. :rofl:

The "average person" certainly could NOT do any worse than what we have now, and that goes across party lines. If there is one thing that I don't want experience in, especially as a career is enacting more laws that restrict our freedoms. It is very different from an actual skilled career. These guys are professional liars and we have enabled them.

If there is one thing that I don't want experience in, especially as a career is enacting more laws that restrict our freedoms. It is very different from an actual skilled career.
I think it takes a lot of skill to get a law enacted, skill in negotiation and compromise. That's what's missing today and is being replaced by skill at hyperbole and rabble-rousing.

Although Anthony is completely right, and Mari is a bit disillusioned by her trips to San Franscisco (kidding), please remember this is not the spin zone...so...let's not drift this thread in that direction.

Although Anthony is completely right, and Mari is a bit disillusioned by her trips to San Franscisco (kidding), please remember this is not the spin zone...so...let's not drift this thread in that direction.
Ok, but I see you got to fire the last shot. :D

The "average person" certainly could NOT do any worse than what we have now, and that goes across party lines.

Anthony,

As cynical as I may be, your statement above leads me to believe that you don't hang out with a lot of truly average (or lower) people. I hadn't had a lot of exposure to the left end of the bell curve until I became a truck driver, and then I discovered that there really are an awful lot of people in the world who are stupid, self-serving, ignorant, apathetic losers. The worst of the politicians we've had in the last couple of decades have nothing on them in terms of idiocy. You do NOT want the "average person" representing you in government.

Anthony,

As cynical as I may be, your statement above leads me to believe that you don't hang out with a lot of truly average (or lower) people. I hadn't had a lot of exposure to the left end of the bell curve until I became a truck driver, and then I discovered that there really are an awful lot of people in the world who are stupid, self-serving, ignorant, apathetic losers. The worst of the politicians we've had in the last couple of decades have nothing on them in terms of idiocy. You do NOT want the "average person" representing you in government.

God knows I don't hold the general public in high regard, but I respectfully disagree.

I would rather have stupid than corrupt. Stupid people may drive you crazy, but they aren't usually successful thieves. And, of course, the bell curve being what it is, we would have a good chance of drafting some truly excellent people to Congress.

Rather than calling it a "draft", think of it more as "jury duty".

I would rather have stupid than corrupt. Stupid people may drive you crazy, but they aren't usually successful thieves. And, of course, the bell curve being what it is, we would have a good chance of drafting some truly excellent people to Congress.

Rather than calling it a "draft", think of it more as "jury duty".

Well, since there's not enough terms for everybody to get one, how about we only call the best and brightest to do it? That'll solve the problem, without creating numerous new ones.

Of course, that also means that if you don't agree with what they're doing (in either case) you're completely hosed, no recourse. Not to mention it completely goes against the idea of our representative republic...

Anthony,

Kent,

You are absolutely right. I mean average in the typical people I deal with day to day, and they are mostly pretty high end people. Excpet for Adam that is. :D

I should re-phrase.

Well jeez, I didn't post that to get the thread whisked off to the SZ.

I just wanted to let Nick know that sometimes a business can get whacked with the liability stick, especially when alcohol sales are involved.

It also happens when the state legislators write laws that are too broad -- i.e. this Georgia law intended to cover bars & restaurants serving drinks meant for immediate consumption in the establishment. Now, thanks to this case, it covers alcohol in containers meant to be consumed elsewhere.

You are absolutely right. I mean average in the typical people I deal with day to day, and they are mostly pretty high end people. Excpet for Adam that is. :D

I should re-phrase.
I would have been much more inclined to agree with you (but not totally inclined :D) if you had phrased it that way to begin with. To me "average" doesn't mean the average person on POA or the average person I deal with. I meant the average person who lives in this country.

Last edited:
I would have been much more inclined to agree with you (but not totally inclined :D) if you had phrased it that way to begin with. To me "average" doesn't mean the average person on POA or the average person I deal with. I meant the average person who lives in this country.

Ahhh, I love the smell of Prist in the morning.

:D

You're the best Mari.

Hubert Humphrey said that being in politics and coaching football has much in common. You gotta be smart enough to understand how the game is played, and dumb enough to think it's important.

Having done some of both, I have come to appreciate the wisdom of his observations.

Back