A Brisk Day in Sparrow Fart

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
sparrow-fart-weather.jpg

Rich

That's warm compared to 7F here in Columbus, Oh! But the sun is out at least.

We are going to be 76F and plenty of sunshine today! I am really enjoying this warm weather; getting lots done outside. Sunday is going to be in the 20's however, time to redouble the winterizing efforts.

Looking at where Sparrow Fart is on the map, I'm sure I've ridden by there on my motorcycle many times in the past.

I think it MIGHT have gotten up to 0 dF in Montpelier today. A bit warmer where I spent most of the day in Burlington, 10 or so. When I got back home it was cold enough already to sting my lungs.

Forecast tomorrow is for 3 to 5 inches of snow, then... get ready for it... 40 degrees and rain on Sunday. Then back into the deep freeze again for Monday. :eek:

Never a dull moment in the Green Mountain State.

let's say 6 knots, but the t hanger is in the middle of the row so there is a decent break.

Ahh, sure. I just hate standing out in high wind chill. Cold with nothing blowing I've gone flying at temps down to about 0F daytime, especially if there's a touch of sunshine involved.

And of course there was the great butt freeze of night flying doing IFR training with @jesse in Nebraska in December -- think the coldest at the surface those nights was -10F.

That was made more fun by having lots of work to do... kinda kept your mind off of it. The airplane also tended to stay warmish between flights.

I do think those were the coldest non-preheated starts we've ever done in the 182, though.

Folks at the FBO were kind enough to drag the airplane into someone's hangar when we weren't flying it, which helped, but normally I'd be out there preheating for a couple of hours in those kinds of temps.

Couldn't be helped, but the ol' O-470 never showed any signs of being cranky about it then, or years later.

Nice,

tomorrow is gonna be around 20 F.
Gonna go as long as the winds stay within my minimums.

Just had a look and it is -19 outside. Global warming my azz. Might be best to just go back to bed and sleep in. Until March...

It dropped all the way down to 30 in Charlotte and all of the natives are crying about how cold it is. :rofl: To me it is just a bit on the cool side. I laugh now but I imagine after a few years down here, my blood will thin out and I will consider 30 to be super cold as well. In the meantime, I will enjoy the warmth. It's all relative.

My coldest breakfast run in WV was 8°F at departure. I also did much IFR training in the evening after work; my XC was in December and included Lunken KLUK in Cinci. Lots of snow on the ground all winter for my late April checkride. It's fun coming out of the clouds over Bluefield, WV and seeing the snowy hilltops with a clear, black runway in front of you!

Depends. Do I have to preheat it myself?
The other consideration is: how good is your cabin heater? ;)

Winter flying in VT is one time I think seriously about being dressed and equipped to survive indefinitely if I have to land out. Lots of places here you're unlikely to even survive a forced landing; but if you do, it could be hours or even days before you're found.

This begs the question. how cold is too cold to go flying?

Most companies I flew for in Alaska stopped operations somewhere around -35f to -38f. Not because it was too hard on the folks, but because small things would start breaking on the airplane.

With engine blankets and tanis heaters on the engines, the engines and oil were already near operating temperatures before starting. Hard part was watching the oil pressure gauge not move for 5 or 6 minutes after engine start.

My personal temperature to stop going outside was about -50f. Anything lower and I would have pain in my chest from the cold air, even with a warm air breather.

Winter flying in VT is one time I think seriously about being dressed and equipped to survive indefinitely if I have to land out. Lots of places here you're unlikely to even survive a forced landing; but if you do, it could be hours or even days before you're found.

In Alaska we sometimes had to turn down passengers for not being properly dressed for the cold.

And if the heater in the plane was not working, that would ground the plane.

I quickly learned how to fly wearing my parka, heavily insulated gloves and bunny boots...:loco:

My winter flying clothes were also part of my survival gear. I did not buy cheap winter clothes when I knew that I might have to rely on them to help me survive the cold.

Can you see why I only fly summers in Alaska now...:lol::lol::lol:

Good point. Mine will roast you out of the airplane, thankfully. The Janitrol in the Seminole I fly will also. Some really suck.

With two broad shouldered folk in the Seminole, you have to negotiate whether both people are going to stay jacketed and deal with the bumping or both take them off, or one will always be uncomfortably hot or cold. :)

Yeah but it's a dry cold. :D
My wife and I were cracking up over this. That is spot on since she is from Minnesota and most of the older folks are in Arizona for the winter, you know....it's scary heat...

I am going to start using this! A dry cold! Ha ha

Back