a Basic Medical question from an airman ...

lbfjrmd

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Senior AME/ATC AME
cleardot.gif
Hi Dr. Fowler,

I am looking to schedule a consultation for advice and help on re-attaining my FAA Medical. Your name came up after researching on a few boards. My last first class was on 10/2014. I am looking to get back into flying purely as a hobby.

Long story short (happy to provide more details and records as necessary), in 2018 I went to the ER after drinking too much. One of the tests ran came back positive for marijuana.

After reading, and talking to the AOPA, I understand getting my medical back will not be a fast path. If you believe there is a path to getting a medical, I would like to start down that path. I have not yet filled out MedXPress.

Is this something you can help me with, or point me in the right direction? Secondarily, the AOPA mentioned that BasicMed could be an option, is that true?

Thank you for your time and have a great holiday.

I think basic med would be the best for him. What say you?

Looks to me like BasicMed is a good fit.
Wayne
(just a pilot)

He'll still need to disclose all of that, but under BasicMed it will be to a state licensed physician rather than the FAA Medical Certification Division.

I think this is the reason BasicMed exists.

My only question is, is that the whole story? Let's assume someone under 40 when the 1st Class was in 10/2014. That would mean expiration for all privileges at the end of 10/2019. Was there any action by the FAA on the medical certificate after the 2018 ER visit? The line

I understand getting my medical back will not be a fast path

makes it sound like the medical was lost (revoked).

He'll still need to disclose all of that, but under BasicMed it will be to a state licensed physician rather than the FAA Medical Certification Division.
He only needs to disclose it if he thinks it’s presently relevant or if he’s asked.

BasicMed is perfect for him unless there’s a missing detail that changes that.

Stop the drugs and do basicmed.

Or, if you think he won’t, send him down the HIMS path to force him to stop.:devil:

Back