A $100k pickup truck...

@Zeldman @mscard88 I'm specifically referring to #35 and #25. These kind of vehicles have a purpose, but why "bling" them out? Get a hauler and go.

It's the same reason people get suckered into "blinging" out a Honda Civic for example..what's the point? Why improve upon what is basically fine "as was"?

Or in other words, I agree with the OP :)

@Zeldman @mscard88 I'm specifically referring to #35 and #25. These kind of vehicles have a purpose, but why "bling" them out? Get a hauler and go.

It's the same reason people get suckered into "blinging" out a Honda Civic for example..what's the point? Why improve upon what is basically fine "as was"?

I see your point but people are free to choose a truck with lotsa bling. Seems most of 'em are only driven around town and haven't ever seen a dirt road. Freedom of choice. I'm more for practicality myself, like a 2500 diesel if I were hauling a trailer or whatever. Neighbor has a F350 diesel and it's always spotless, while I drive a '06 V6 Tundra, so there ya go.

I see your point but people are free to choose a truck with lotsa bling. Seems most of 'em are only driven around town and haven't ever seen a dirt road. Freedom of choice. I'm more for practicality myself, like a 2500 diesel if I were hauling a trailer or whatever. Neighbor has a F350 diesel and it's always spotless, while I drive a '06 V6 Tundra, so there ya go.

Oh I know..I was just getting on my soapbox because I see them and I think "sucker". Even though I know they probably had about 10K of money to waste making it look "spiffy". I don't care what other people do with their money, but a truck (to me) is supposed to be practical and functional. I don't see what purpose all the other "fluff" serves other then to just illustrate materialism...

I don't see what purpose all the other "fluff" serves other then to just illustrate materialism...
I'm guessing you still use a flip phone, or perhaps still watch a 25" CRT television? Please don't tell me you have an iPhone or a 65" LCD or Plasma television. That's way to much bling and materialism for one person to handle. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you still use a flip phone, or perhaps still watch a 25" CRT television?

I did until last year. At least the flip phone. Didn't have a TV.

Please don't tell me you have an iPhone or a 65" LCD or Plasma television. That's way to much bling and materialism for one person to handle. :rolleyes:

Got an iPhone 7 (earlier this year) and a 65" 4k (last year).

Having a hard time managing the bling.

I have to ask...why?

Why buy a stupid large vehicle that takes up 4 spaces? Overcompensating much? Not to mention the impact on the environment from those gas guzzling waste of resource machines...

Ground vehicles get you from point A to point B, hopefully efficiently. Want something fancy, buy a Cirrus and stop wasting your money on inefficient "ground movers".

When I see these things I think "moron", not "cool".

Suppose you had a camper, a big boat, a larger horse trailer, or some other large thing you needed to be able to tow sometimes. You also have to do things like get groceries and pick up the kids from school and such. A small practical sedan can't tow the trailer but the big truck can do all the things the small sedan can albeit less conveniently/economically. So you buy the big truck because it doesn't make sense to own two vehicles when the one will take care of all your needs...

or more commonly you do have a practical sedan but that's the wife's car and when she's using it you take the truck.

I'm not saying there aren't douchebags who buy something huge with dual wheels just too look cool and reprogram the computer so they can "roll coal" at every light but maybe don't paint all truck owners with that brush.

...Not likely. Diesels hold their value incredibly well. You look at prices of used pickups that are a few years old and they're so close to new that it doesn't make it worth buying used at all. To get the prices cut in half you end up having to look at close to 10 years old and still over 100k miles.

A coworker of mine bought a 3 year old Ram with 100k miles on it. Similar to mine, Laramie Longhorn instead of Laramie. He got a good deal on it, but only paid $15k less than I did. That's not a lot of difference for 100k miles on it in my opinion.

What kicks the price of used diesel trucks (and light twins too :D ) is high oil prices and the inevitable ensuing economic recession. Then there's thousands of them for sale. Cheap.

I bought my then two year old loaded F350 supercab long box Powerstroke in the fall of 2008 after oil prices had gone to $148/bbl earlier in the year and the world was in the mother of all recessions. I paid $18k for it. Still using it to pull my 5th wheel and my wife's ridiculously oversized horse trailer (her horses go in style, nothing but the best for them, believe me).

I often see them taking up four spaces. They straddle the line between two spaces side by side, and two more end to end.

That's because the mall planners want to devote as much space to covered retail as they can at the expense of the parking. So the lines for the parking spots are now based on a 3-Series Bimmer so they can get the stall count up. :rolleyes:

Hard to watch, but does illustrate the power of the 18 wheelers.

F=ma
Difficult to argue with Newton, more than three centuries later.

I've gotta wonder how many of those are gonna end up with a 6" lift on them rolling coal at red lights.

When I got my Dodge RAM diesel, I didn't really need the diesel for pulling power (actually the V10 that Dodge offered at the time had more torque and horsepower) but I needed a full size pickup, and the economy of the diesel was far better than either of the gas engines. I kind of wish I still had it, but I don't currently have a mission for it nor the space to keep it.

I bought a 2011 Tundra. Man it was nice....but as mentioned in the earlier posts, if I took it to tear out a chain link fence, or canoeing in muddy areas, I was trying to put blankets down, and being careful loading anything because it was getting scratched as hell,etc. It was my only vehicle and wanted to keep it fairly nice.
Also because it was so tall, I had to climb up in the bed a lot to get things instead of reaching over, and also had to get a ladder to wash it. (which was almost a hospital bill a couple times)
Finally just sold it and have a POS 94 Silverado and a fairly nice car.
Works out great. Truck is used like a truck, and the car is used as a car.
Also don't care if the kids borrow it now lol.

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this was already said, but if you can afford one of these monstrous trucks why not just use the money to get you a new Peter built.

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this was already said, but if you can afford one of these monstrous trucks why not just use the money to get you a new Peter built.

Hehe I see what you did there.

When I showed up at work with my nice, shiny new green RAM 2500 extended cab with the Cummins diesel, the first comment our IT department assistant girl said was "who's penis extension?"

And that Ford looks twice the size. Parking options start to become limited.

Think we could get a trend started to label mini-vans as "vagina/womb extensions"? LOL. They do carry the spawn around nicely, I hear. Hahaha.

You just park like all the other dually-holes who center the truck diagonal across two adjacent spots in front of Starbucks.

Who goes to Starbucks? Expensive bad coffee isn't high on my priorities list. Heh. I'll stick with cheap bad coffee, thanks.

Being the only two people with pickup trucks and a larger than 8 x 20 cargo trailer in the entire family... we knew what our role was going to be in the dead brother in law's estate.

Not to put too much of a dark spin on it... but his truck was repoed a week after he died. It was a lot nicer truck than my dually that'll be towing his mobile clinic away to the auction house.

As far as I can tell, my penis isn't involved. Just my back muscles and upper body are sore. I definitely don't need any $100 home gym right now.

The pickups, the Yukon, and the trailer have all been in use for a couple of weeks now on and off, and the end is in sight, but there's still one half full storage unit to clear and nowhere to put it except my garage. That one is on hold seeing if the auction house can let us deliver on a multi-day schedule. If not, it all gets staged in my garage.

Soooo... moral of the story is, don't own pickup trucks when immediate family members die, I guess. LOL. Or own them and be thankful you can help, even if the rest of the time most of the family wonders why you have a one ton pickup truck and makes penis jokes. :)

And no. There's no money for moving trucks and with multiple sites and multiple days it wouldn't be cost effective anyway. We are glad to help.

But do your families a favor. Go load up a trailer full of **** you're not using and throw it away, now. At least a trailer load. And stop collecting **** you don't need. Just sayin'. Get rid of it. Your family doesn't want to do it after you're dead.

We are motivated now to do another massive purge of crap after this. Same as we were when we dealt with dad's stuff. Simplify.

Aside from the dick jokes, you'll have a harder time parking your Peterbuilt in the garage. The F-450 still fits just fine assuming you could fit a dually in there to begin with. Also, as Ted has dealt with, driving a semi-truck means air brakes, air cab suspension, and 10 tires to worry about instead of 6. Usually a few more batteries as well, with hurdles to jump through in some states related to registration and GCWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ted
I'd just buy a 2 or 3 year old one for 40k

It frankly...well..it just doesn't look like 100k to me, and these new diesel trucks don't seem to handle mileage like they used too, far from the bullet proof diesel engines of yester year. Seems like a gas Toyota Tacoma will drive more miles trouble free compared to a newer ford diesel

I have an f350 dually and an f550 (dually).

I hope the 450 rides better than my 550. Unloaded the suspension doesn't move. All your cushion comes from the very pliable (sarcasm) 110psi tires.

Otherwise, if I had the coin, I'd own one of the trucks in OP. No justification necessary (beyond to my wife).

Pricing aside - I don’t get the point of the F450. The only rated difference between it and the F350 DRW CC LB Diesel 4.1 is a gooseneck tow capacity of 32’500 vs 31’800 lbs. That’s it.

Everything else the F350 has the same or higher ratings than the F450. Hauling, conventional towing, 5th wheel - the F350 is just as good. Just the 700lbs on gooseneck - but if 700lbs on 30’000 makes a difference to you you’re probably using the wrong class of vehicle.

So not sure why it is worth $15k more.

Around me, the F350 and F450 are getting plenty of attention. The horse trailers and larger travel trailers are probably the reason. Seems there are plenty of folks that don't mind dropping $100K on a truck that will pull their $200K (or more) trailer. And some (most?) of those trailers are MUCH nicer than my home. And I don't think my home is too shabby.

Having said that, I do like the utility of a pickup truck. But I want to use it as a pickup truck. I'm looking used at Ford Sport Tracs as that's about what I'll need (or can rent a Uhaul trailer for if it doesn't fit in the bed with the tailgate down). Couldn't care less about what it means for my penis. I'm married, so what difference does it make what size it is when it's atrophied? :eek::rolleyes::p

The part that I don't get are all the people that say they don't have a want/need/desire for one of the $100k trucks so they criticize anyone that wants one.

Pricing aside - I don’t get the point of the F450. The only rated difference between it and the F350 DRW CC LB Diesel 4.1 is a gooseneck tow capacity of 32’500 vs 31’800 lbs. That’s it.

Everything else the F350 has the same or higher ratings than the F450. Hauling, conventional towing, 5th wheel - the F350 is just as good. Just the 700lbs on gooseneck - but if 700lbs on 30’000 makes a difference to you you’re probably using the wrong class of vehicle.

Differences used to include bigger rims, brakes, and some other heavier stuff. $15k worth? Eye of beholder.

The part that I don't get are all the people that say they don't have a want/need/desire for one of the $100k trucks so they criticize anyone that wants one.

No insults on my side, just doesn't seem like 100k worth of truck, especially seeing how these modern F series diesels hold up, that said I welcome people helping their local economies.

In church today I was talking to the owner of one of the local GM dealers. He advised me to NOT buy a new Duramax. He was telling me to many problems with the DPF and everything involved with the regen of the DPF.

But he will sell you a new Duramax.

Suppose you had a camper, a big boat, a larger horse trailer, or some other large thing you needed to be able to tow sometimes. You also have to do things like get groceries and pick up the kids from school and such. A small practical sedan can't tow the trailer but the big truck can do all the things the small sedan can albeit less conveniently/economically. So you buy the big truck because it doesn't make sense to own two vehicles when the one will take care of all your needs...

or more commonly you do have a practical sedan but that's the wife's car and when she's using it you take the truck.

I'm not saying there aren't douchebags who buy something huge with dual wheels just too look cool and reprogram the computer so they can "roll coal" at every light but maybe don't paint all truck owners with that brush.

I said nothing about the practicality of trucks. Maybe @Zeldman should re-read my post since he glossed over basically everything and skipped to defending trucks in general.

My issue is the overpriced, over "blinged" massive trucks that people buy.

Obviously someone is buying them because they are out there. But tell me, what is the point of buying a massive truck with 20K of additional addons to pickup a single bag of groceries and drive home? You aren't towing trailers, you don't camp, the massive truck you just bought is basically doing the job of a Cooper Mini..

You buy the truck because you had 50K of cash lying around. Doing that MAKES you the douchebag that you mentioned. Not to mention that most "average" people can't get out of a sedan and into one of those trucks and actually drive it properly to being with. It's one thing maneuvering a sedan, but c'mon...

I guess I'm a substance over style kind of guy. Vehicles to me are tools. The right tool for the right job.

@JOhnH welcome to America. For some people it's vegans vs meat eaters, others its religion or politics.

But..all that said, I'm gonna leave this here and bail.

jqyrj.jpg

Thats for the fru-fru pickups. If you buy a F450 chassis to build something like a boom truck or an ambulance, the F450 has a GVWR 2500lbs higher than the F350 (F550 5000lb).

I said nothing about the practicality of trucks. Maybe @Zeldman should re-read my post since he glossed over basically everything and skipped to defending trucks in general.

My issue is the overpriced, over "blinged" massive trucks that people buy.

Obviously someone is buying them because they are out there. But tell me, what is the point of buying a massive truck with 20K of additional addons to pickup a single bag of groceries and drive home? You aren't towing trailers, you don't camp, the massive truck you just bought is basically doing the job of a Cooper Mini..

You buy the truck because you had 50K of cash lying around. Doing that MAKES you the douchebag that you mentioned. Not to mention that most "average" people can't get out of a sedan and into one of those trucks and actually drive it properly to being with. It's one thing maneuvering a sedan, but c'mon...

I guess I'm a substance over style kind of guy. Vehicles to me are tools. The right tool for the right job.

@JOhnH welcome to America. For some people it's vegans vs meat eaters, others its religion or politics.

But..all that said, I'm gonna leave this here and bail.

View attachment 56784

What difference does it make if it's a "blinged" F-450, F-150, or a Corvette? I find it hard to believe that customizing one's vehicle how ever they see fit makes them a de facto douchebag. Sure, many of the guys (mostly the one's in their mid-20's driving diesel 4x4's with green neon lights in the wheel wells and lifted 12"+) might be douchebags, same as the ones who spend $10K customizing a $5K Honda Civic to sit on it's frame with a picnic table for a rear spoiler. However, more often than not, the guys that just have a leveling kit and some wheels/tires/light bars are just regular joes who like to make their truck stand out a bit. The ONLY think I dislike about most lift kits and the propensity for diesel guys to buy the steel-plate front/rear bumpers is that it greatly increases the likelihood that they severely injure or kill someone in a collision. The increased bumper height from the lift and hardened bumpers insure that more damage will be done, and the impact zone is at the trunk/rear windshield-level of the typical passenger car, instead of the bumper. I also think $20K is a bit of an exaggeration for most of what you see. Wheels/tires might be $3K-$5K, lifts are $1K or less, light bars are $500, and front/rear bumpers are $2500 total. So, instead of $20K, it's more likely less than $10K, even with other suspension add-ons.

In the end, it's all relative. What one guy things is ridiculous and over the top, the next guy doesn't bat an eye at. I abhor driving a econobox vehicle, even if it meets 90% of the daily driver needs. If it doesn't have a healthy V6 or V8, I won't likely own it.

I'm looking used at Ford Sport Tracs as that's about what I'll need (or can rent a Uhaul trailer for if it doesn't fit in the bed with the tailgate down).

I researched Sport Tracs and the biggest thing I discovered was to find one with the V8. The 6 just doesn't cut it. Ended up w/ a 06 Tundra Ext cab w/ a V6 and it meets what I need a truck for. Just use as a second vehicle but have a need to do light hauling occasionally. A Sport Trac would have worked as well but hard to find one w/ a V8, and sellers want a bit too much for them.

I have to laugh at people on a forum for pilots (who by the definition of most of society fly toys of an equal or greater value to the truck in question) condemning the decisions of others for what they do with their disposable income.

I'm going to show you an actual picture from this morning. This wasn't staged, this was a real, honest use of my pickup truck.

unnamed.jpg

That's two (yes, TWO!) garbage cans (ok one of them is stuck inside a 3rd garbage can), and then part of a metal bed frame. I had to get those to the end of my driveway (about 500 ft). You think I could actually walk with those? No way. This is what trucks are for. This is why I need a 1-ton truck, not some dinky little thing like an F-150 with a short bed.

Satire aside, sure you have people that never hook anything up to their trucks. More often what happens is you have people that have a need for one of these 3/4+ ton trucks (or decide it's what they want for considerations like resale value), but then they drive it for other reasons. I've been using the Ram as my daily driver since I bought it. Few reasons for this:

1) My wife takes the Mercedes when she goes to work, and I don't like swapping the car seat back and forth. It's a pain. Since the Mercedes and the Ram don't get that much different mileage, there's not a huge cost savings, either (Mercedes is a 2003 E55 AMG)
2) These newer diesels do NOT like sitting. The people who have the most issues with them are the ones who let them sit and only drive them now and then. That's been the case with pretty much all the common rail engines, and was the case when I had my first Ram that I bought new in 2004. I imagine it's only gotten to be moreso these days as the DEF doesn't like sitting, so I want to keep driving it and keep fresher DEF in it.
3) It's got a warranty. Might as well use it.

It's easy to say "Have a beater truck and a nicer car", but that's not always practical to do. A beater truck is probably going to be unreliable (see my F-350, etc.). So you don't need it much, but when you need it, it needs to be something you can depend on. That was really what got us where we are.

Our neighbors have an F-350 dually, newer one, looks pretty nice. It's his daily driver. They've got a 30 ft or so gooseneck horse trailer. They've got horses that they'll routinely take places and do some horse competitions. Most people see him drive it to work (which is when I normally see him driving it, too), but I also see it with this big ol' trailer behind it when they go off to shows.

Meanwhile, my Ram gets better mileage than a 172, and the fuel is cheaper. Oh, and it's cheaper than any decent 172.

Our neighbors have an F-350 dually, newer one, looks pretty nice. It's his daily driver. They've got a 30 ft or so gooseneck horse trailer. They've got horses that they'll routinely take places and do some horse competitions. Most people see him drive it to work (which is when I normally see him driving it, too), but I also see it with this big ol' trailer behind it when they go off to shows.

Meanwhile, my Ram gets better mileage than a 172, and the fuel is cheaper. Oh, and it's cheaper than any decent 172.

Precisely. My truck (black 2008 F-150 Lariat w/every available option), when I used to drive it as the DD, was almost always clean and waxed. You didn't see me towing/hauling stuff every day on the way to work. However, catch me on a weekend and you'll see a boat/car hauler/utility trailer on the back. No shiny hitch ball for sure. From the outside, the truck looks clean and untarnished, but step up and look at the inside of the truck bed (no bedliner) and you'll see dents and a ton of scratches from plenty of use. Seeing an F-350/F-450 driving around with nothing behind it during the week doesn't mean much, because they may be needing that capability only a dozen times a year and don't feel like maintaining two separate vehicles (a DD car and a diesel). Is it the most economic way of dealing with the relatively rare need to tow/haul large amounts? Probably not, but it can certainly be seen as more practical.

Precisely. My truck (black 2008 F-150 Lariat w/every available option), when I used to drive it as the DD, was almost always clean and waxed. You didn't see me towing/hauling stuff every day on the way to work. However, catch me on a weekend and you'll see a boat/car hauler/utility trailer on the back. No shiny hitch ball for sure. From the outside, the truck looks clean and untarnished, but step up and look at the inside of the truck bed (no bedliner) and you'll see dents and a ton of scratches from plenty of use. Seeing an F-350/F-450 driving around with nothing behind it during the week doesn't mean much, because they may be needing that capability only a dozen times a year and don't feel like maintaining two separate vehicles (a DD car and a diesel). Is it the most economic way of dealing with the relatively rare need to tow/haul large amounts? Probably not, but it can certainly be seen as more practical.

Other big thing is how far does one go on the trips. It's less common than it used to be for me, but I still might drive hundreds of miles one way with my truck to get something. That's a really expensive (and inconvenient) tow bill when it breaks down.

One can argue the reasons behind any decision, but ultimately the one writing the check gets to make the decision.

He was telling me to many problems with the DPF and everything involved with the regen of the DPF.

So far(1 year) no problems with my Colorado. But I have to wonder if they perform worse in places with tons of stop and go traffic. The only time I've gotten the whole "Regen Required, Keep Driving" message was after spending the day in the big city stuck in traffic and doing shopping. I should probably get my OBD dongle setup so I can keep an eye on things like regen cycles.

So far(1 year) no problems with my Colorado. But I have to wonder if they perform worse in places with tons of stop and go traffic. The only time I've gotten the whole "Regen Required, Keep Driving" message was after spending the day in the big city stuck in traffic and doing shopping. I should probably get my OBD dongle setup so I can keep an eye on things like regen cycles.

Good point. I live in northwest New Mexico, a little town of approximately 26,000 out in the middle of nowhere. Some of the in town trips are so short the engine coolant and oil does not have a chance to warm up, unless I am driving to another town. I am sure the people with the new Duramax are having problems because of that. I'll check with the owner about that next time I see him.

In church today I was talking to the owner of one of the local GM dealers. He advised me to NOT buy a new Duramax. He was telling me to many problems with the DPF and everything involved with the regen of the DPF.

But he will sell you a new Duramax.

Interesting on the Duramax. I know that the early DPFs had lots of problems on all the trucks - didn't matter which brand. They really didn't have the technology figured out at that point. It seems that now they have it working better and it seems that, at least on the Cummins trucks, the real concern a few years ago was the DEF system since it was new and the bugs weren't worked out. But nowadays, it seems to be working

The comment about short trips and not getting up to temperature I'd completely believe as causing the problems. Part of why I'm good with having a diesel truck - it's basically impossible for me to go drive the thing without getting up to temp. But I live out in the boonies.

Just back from a run to Lowe's. It's pretty easy to tell which of the HD pickups have a job.

Yeah people get to make their own choices with their own money.

My initial post was just a reaction to it as someone who is interested in cars/trucks and a value conscious consumer unable to fathom how there's $100,000 of value in such a truck and why anyone short of a frivolous multi-millionaire would want one at that price.

My next pickup, whenever I decide I need one, is likely to be an F-250 XL with a diesel. Right now I have an F-150 XLT with a 5.0 coyote and it's getting the job done but it now is mainly a towing/hauling/farm stuff truck and while it works I'd like the extra braking/stability of a 3/4 ton.

One issue I had when ordering it was how hard Ford pushes you into the high dollar trucks by the way their options work. For example certain engine/drive train options aren't available until you go up to a higher trim level. Some options only come as part of a package full of stuff one doesn't need, etc. I found it frustrating. Hence why my next truck will be a strip down 3/4 ton and I'll just install any creature comforts I want as an aftermarket add-on rather than pay the trim&package tax.

Back