9mm handgun

Ken,

For a list of good solid 9MM's for accurate range use or home defense here ya go.

Browning Hi Power
CZ-75B
HK P7 (either M8 or PSP)
Sig P226
HK USP

Lets not forget the venerable S&W 59/659 line.;)

Ken,

For a list of good solid 9MM's for accurate range use or home defense here ya go.

Browning Hi Power
CZ-75B
HK P7 (either M8 or PSP)
Sig P226
HK USP

and Smith&Wesson M&P pistols, Beretta 92 as well.
take a look at Khar as well, and Para Ordnance. Para has some really smooth triggers...Jesse already mentioned XD from Springfield...

and Smith&Wesson M&P pistols, Beretta 92 as well.
take a look at Khar as well, and Para Ordnance. Para has some really smooth triggers...Jesse already mentioned XD from Springfield...

The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm is a great platform. I just shot our Indoor National Championship with one (provided by the Smith & Wesson Performance Center). It took a couple hundred rounds to 'break in', but then it ran like a champ. It's not quite as accurate as my 1911 in 9 (but I guess my 1911 had better be accurate :yesnod:), but it was definitely more accurate than any of the Glocks I've ever shot. The really cool thing about the M&P is that it has replaceable backstraps of varying sizes. For those of us with smaller hands, the smaller backstrap is alot more comfortable. It also helps those of us used to 1911's get the gun to point more like a 1911. Unlike a Glock that points way off for me :wink2:.

The Para P-18's are great guns as well. If you can find one of the Todd Jarrett series, they were really good.

And I also do like Beretta's as well. I had a 92F at one time. It had some custom work done on it and the trigger was outstanding. I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

So I guess I'll go back to my good old favorite 1911.

If I could figure out how to post a picture, I have a really good one from that event :)

You have no idea lol...

:yikes: Sounds like a scary story is behind that statement. Do you still have both of your eyes?? (Cause it's all fun & games until...)

Last edited:
IMG_1028.jpg

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I'm in the middle :D

A friend of a friend came to visit from NC and I took him along for some shooting fun. He had his M&P 9mm, I brought my Springfield 1911 .45. The difference between the two for me was similar to going from an AR to a .22LR. I think I kind of embarrassed him, shooting his pistol better than he did the first time I picked it up at 25 yards. Lots of fun, especially seeing how red his face was after his rambling on about how any respectable southerner can out shoot a yankee from Jersey:rolleyes:.
The only Para I shot was the LDA 10(?)45, but I was assured of Para's triggers being that smooth with all of their LDA's at least. Another fun one. I occasionally carried an M9 (Beretta 92) when I was serving in the Army. We had crappy magazines which caused lots of failures over in Iraq, which I'll admit has made me less-than-fond of them (one such failure occurred to me during an attack, not cool), although I do know that a properly maintained Beretta with proper a magazine (i.e. not from the lowest bidder) is a great pistol...I'll take my 1911 over a Beretta any day but that is just my opinion and preference.

Another opinion of mine, Girls + guns = HOT (I love it when stupid stereotypes are blown out of the water). Throw in airplanes and...:D is all I can do.

IMG_1028.jpg

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I'm in the middle :D

Heh... cool photo. Nice little arsenal there too.

Tsk tsk for the person fourth from the left behind you... finger on the trigger when not firing... :) :) :)

Heh... cool photo. Nice little arsenal there too.

Tsk tsk for the person fourth from the left behind you... finger on the trigger when not firing... :) :) :)

The safety instructor in me saw that right away, too. I'm just a stick in the mud.

Still a great photo!

She's a great pilot. We worked on that all weekend. it's such a natural habit for some people.

You missed Sig P229

;)

Great pistol, but it is just a compact P226, so for accuracy, (longer site radius) I suggested the larger platform. Nothing wrong with the P229 in that department though but I find its a tad bit easier to shoot more accurately with the longer site radius.

Lots of talk about the M&P as a real Glock beater. Good to hear you liked it Joyce.

I also forgot to put on my list a 1911 in 9MM, which I had mentioned previously. There is NOTHING like a tuned 1911 trigger. The STI Spartan 9MM is a good choice in this style. There not too pricey either, although everything is going up.

After I got out of the Navy and couldn't afford to shoot competitively without my "federal subsidy" :) I sold my 1911NM, my Gold Cup and my Combat Commander. Wish I had those back again.

I currently carry a Ruger P90 in .45ACP. I'm not really crazy about the DA/SA sequence but in stress situations the first DA long hard trigger pull is not noticeable.

Yeah, .45 ACP is expensive to shoot. That is why I reload, plus I get the brass for free by picking it up at my gun club, so that helps too. Still, reloading components, like everything esle have skyrocketed in price, but it is still much less expensive than factory ammo, plus my stuff is more accurate.

I didn't know how good I had it. The armory issued us cases of Lake City Match ammo every weekend for either the pistol or rifle matches and we reloaded all our brass for practice sessions every day.
Use of National Match M1 Garands and NM 1911 worked over by a top notch armorer, weapons assigned to us by serial number; we all had our primary and a ready spare for every match.

Wow a firearms thread!!

I didn't read all the posts, but I'm a fan of my Springfield XD9. For me the ergonomics and trigger were far superior to the Glock. The M&P9 is a fine weapon as well.

That said, Sig 226 would be the best pick in my book, but they're pretty pricey.

Not much more to add here, Anthony knows what he's talking about here and has already said everything for me. :)

Anyone else find the trigger safety on Glocks weird? I've never gotten used to those. Just asking out of curiosity.

Love it. Same pull every shot. If you don't touch the trigger IT WILL NOT FIRE. I've had glocks for 18 years and never had a problem with misfires or misfeeds ( that weren't intentionally staged for tap/rack drills).

Never had an accidental discharge either because the finger doesn't touch the trigger til I go-loud.

Perfect. Simple. Works.

Love it. Same pull every shot. If you don't touch the trigger IT WILL NOT FIRE. I've had glocks for 18 years and never had a problem with misfires or misfeeds

That's why I like the Springfield XD and XDM. I used to be a Glock guy but I switched. If you don't touch the grip safety, you can pull the trigger all you want, and it will not fire. I always grip the weapon low without depressing the grip safety when holstering. And when shooting, you don't even feel that the grip safety is there. Plus I prefer the XD trigger feel to Glock's.

pardon the sidetrack...I'm in Mass. I'm not aware of any separate permit required for bringing a gun to the range for practice. Does your friend have a reference?

Bob-
He hasn't replied to me, so I did some digging, this might be what he was talking about. Again, I am not personally familiar with Mass. laws, but it does seem as though a Class B LTC might be what one could potentially be hassled about. Hopefully either this helps you, or my friend missed something and I therefore am wrong.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

Bob-
He hasn't replied to me, so I did some digging, this might be what he was talking about. Again, I am not personally familiar with Mass. laws, but it does seem as though a Class B LTC might be what one could potentially be hassled about. Hopefully either this helps you, or my friend missed something and I therefore am wrong.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html

A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

I believe I understand.

in MA, there are 3 basic kinds of permits/license/whatever, Firearm ID (FID), Class B License to Carry (LTC), and Class A LTC.

"A LTC Class A entitles the holder to possess a large capacity firearm (pistol or revolver), rifle or shotgun. (See G.L. c. 140, §121 for the definition of large capacity). A LTC Class B entitles the holder to possess a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. A FID entitles the holder to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns."

There isn't a separate permit required to bring your firearm to the range for practice. However, you have to have the appropriate license for the firearm. Basically the recommendation is to always apply for a LTC Class A.

I believe I understand.

in MA, there are 3 basic kinds of permits/license/whatever, Firearm ID (FID), Class B License to Carry (LTC), and Class A LTC.

"A LTC Class A entitles the holder to possess a large capacity firearm (pistol or revolver), rifle or shotgun. (See G.L. c. 140, §121 for the definition of large capacity). A LTC Class B entitles the holder to possess a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. A FID entitles the holder to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns."

There isn't a separate permit required to bring your firearm to the range for practice. However, you have to have the appropriate license for the firearm. Basically the recommendation is to always apply for a LTC Class A.

That would make the most sense to me. The conversation we had in which Mass. came up was about some of the silly things... For example, hollow point bullets are ok to possess here in NJ, but not for self-defense use. A retired LEO friend of mine had mentioned his displeasure in that as well.

I suspect the discussion was a USCG member stationed in Mass, but without a Mass LTC. That person could probably not transport his weapon to a range, because he does not possess a Mass LTC, hence the 'separate permit'.

Only my WAG.

Neither of us would carry it (don't like the trigger safety), but for target shooting in controlled conditions on a range it works well for him.

I love Glocks "safety". There is more to the safety than just the trigger latch. All you need to remember is to keep your booger hook off the bang switch and it is completely safe :)

I love Glocks "safety". There is more to the safety than just the trigger latch. All you need to remember is to keep your booger hook off the bang switch and it is completely safe :)
But just like planes with magic parachutes the supposed "safety" seems rather less impressive when looking at the real world. Plenty of "Glock limp" from reholstering errors.

The Glock Safe-Action System is not a talisman against accidents.

But just like planes with magic parachutes the supposed "safety" seems rather less impressive when looking at the real world. Plenty of "Glock limp" from reholstering errors.

That is why I like the XD. The added grip safety makes me feel a little better but at the same time does not slow me down. That said, if someone walked up with a Glock for a good price right now I'd buy it.

I do carry 1911-like guns as well and the thumb safety doesn't bother me either.

At the end of the day you just need to TRAIN with whatever you have.

No , but like I said , keeping your finger off the trigger is.

No , but like I said , keeping your finger off the trigger is.

That pretty much works for most firearms...I have yet to see or hear of a gun that has discharged or will discharge without something pulling the trigger...

I'm not the only one who has said it, but I'll say it again: Training.
Sounds fancy, but it doesn't have to be. Practicing with the intention of improving (i.e. not blasting away just for the heck of it) is what builds skills. Not much different than flying or driving. So long as you keep in good habits, you'll stay there. Trigger awareness is one such factor...

Back