90 day currency - test flight with mechanic?

Good, so that would work. He is current AMEL. I don't care who's PIC and I don't need to get my 90 day currency in on this ride - I can do that on my own. Just good to have a second pair of eyes to look at gauges and traffic or if we need to troubleshoot something.

Thanks.

I suppose if you wanted to be really careful, you might either change one engine and test fly it before changing the other, or get the two engines overhauled by two different shops, but...
;)

I suppose if you wanted to be really careful, you might either change one engine and test fly it before changing the other, or get the two engines overhauled by two different shops, but...
;)

There are good economic reasons for doing engines a couple of hundred hours apart as well as safety reasons. An engine is most likely to fail in the first 200 hrs, seems like a reasonable idea to stretch good odds even further by only having one engine operating in that time frame at a time.

awww come on. It's been two hours since last post and you guys are running down already?
sheesh We haven't even gotten to the color of paint on the plane, whether the VOR check is current, is he wearing Nomex for this "return to service 'test' flight" , does he have his certificate and medical in a fire proof pouch, what about a chase plane and having ATC clear a block airspace for him

(can't find the return to service test flight in the regs this morning, btw someone with greater skills than I will have to cover that detail)

You nit wiiii, errr nit pickers I mean, are disappointing me.

My plane has had engine overhauls and has been in the shop for over 4 months now. The day is getting closer to test flights. Problem is I haven't flown for more than 2 months, and by the time it's all ready to go, it will be over 90 days. I'd like to take my mechanic up for the first flight, so that he can help me monitor any anomalies etc. Is there any proviso for a certified A&P to come along in this scenario, or is he regarded as just a passenger and I need to go do 3 takeoffs and landings before he can come along?

And there are no other airplanes anywhere else in the area that you can get 3 take offs and landings in before you expire??

As others have said. He is a passenger. So if you aren't current when its time to fly your plane, he legally cant go.

I thought that at first as well, but then I reviewed the reg.

It's aircraft category and class. The category is "normal" or "utility." The class is "airplane."

Both a 172 and an Aerostar are the same at that level.

Now, for airmen, a different certificate is required for the two aircraft.

See 14 CFR 61.57(b)(ii).

Ehhhh....yeah...no.

Back