$9,500 Cessna 150

What would you want me to look at for your Pre-buy inspection?

Every one says "Pre-Buy", what is that really?

Basically have a mechanic do a thorough inspection of the aircraft and get his take on it.

That was fast. I wonder what happened

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 33
Mike Arman's book says that it requires certain care to make O-200 to make TBO, but it's mostly related to piston rings. He does not say, but my conclusion is, you should be able to get away with a top overhaul if things go south a little bit.

Personally, I would not buy a 150 with 1800 SMOH, because I do not have good enough connections to have major maintenance done in an affordable way. Besides, I can afford a little better.

I know of a 150 that has 3500 on the engine, so I suppose there is a way to keep it going. That being said, at 3500 hours, the owner is probably running on borrowed time.

$9500 to build time, sounds great! If you get 200 hours out of it that's $47.50 an hour. Add $20 an hour for fuel and oil and just go fly the thing.

I know of a 150 that has 3500 on the engine, so I suppose there is a way to keep it going. That being said, at 3500 hours, the owner is probably running on borrowed time.

Yes at 3500, it has to be in its sunset hours, BUT according to Harry Fenton, the O200 guru, properly cared for O200's making it to 3500 hours is not at all uncommon.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

Last edited:
If you had only $9500 and we're looking to build time would you buy this airplane? I posted a link on a FB page to this ad I found on Craigslist and it's funny the responses it's gotten. From its ugly, to its timed out (which we know) to is used up and gonna cost $10k or more for overhaul. But say you bought it and squeezed 200 more hours and then sold it is think you be money ahead? I know when I was renting I would've thought this was a reachable (as in I could afford it) aircraft . Your thoughts? http://redding.craigslist.org/for/4759853438.html

Do you believe you would be able to sell it? These bottom dollar deals only work if the numbers are good throwing the plane away when you have your couple hundred hours. Now if you can manage to keep this flying for 200hrs, you would come out with a $47hr capital cost, $30hr fuel cost, plus whatever your storage and insurance costs work into it, and average maint expenses and you'll end up at around $100hr if you can't sell it and don't blow up the engine. You do also have the risk that the engine can lunch and it takes another $10,000 to get either your hours or anything back. This deal is on the line of viability with the wildcard being the engine holding together.

Back