$9,500 Cessna 150

Pinstriper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pinstriper
If you had only $9500 and we're looking to build time would you buy this airplane? I posted a link on a FB page to this ad I found on Craigslist and it's funny the responses it's gotten. From its ugly, to its timed out (which we know) to is used up and gonna cost $10k or more for overhaul. But say you bought it and squeezed 200 more hours and then sold it is think you be money ahead? I know when I was renting I would've thought this was a reachable (as in I could afford it) aircraft . Your thoughts? http://redding.craigslist.org/for/4759853438.html

Last edited:
The link didn't work.

If an airplane costs only $9,500, there very well may be something wrong with it and the owner is trying desperately to get rid of it.

Can you say pre-buy inspection? :wink2:

Buy it, you'll get way more than 200 hours out of it.

It well may be worth the expense to get the 0-200 overhauled when the time comes.

If you only have $9,500, how will you buy gas? And how many hours do you want to realistically get out of it?

I'm not saying I want it, I have a pa-28 140 with a 200hr engine.. I'm just seeing threads on here all the time about people wishing they could get into a cheap airplane. Well here's their chance.. Afterall TBO is only "recommended" correct?

Try now, flown 3 weeks ago owner is 91

The link worked that time. Looks like a pretty nice airplane. Easy to fly, and cheap on gas.

If I were to own it, I'd want to have a Garmin 650 installed. :)

If you only have $9,500, how will you buy gas?

If the purchaser plans properly, they wouldn't have only $9,500. Do people who buy $60,000 planes have only $60,000? Or those who buy $110,000 planes have only $110,000?

I don't think we should assume that just because the plane seems inexpensive that someone who has only $9,490 would dig in a couch for a dime and buy an airplane.

Mike Arman's book says that it requires certain care to make O-200 to make TBO, but it's mostly related to piston rings. He does not say, but my conclusion is, you should be able to get away with a top overhaul if things go south a little bit.

Personally, I would not buy a 150 with 1800 SMOH, because I do not have good enough connections to have major maintenance done in an affordable way. Besides, I can afford a little better.

I'm not saying I want it, I have a pa-28 140 with a 200hr engine.. I'm just seeing threads on here all the time about people wishing they could get into a cheap airplane. Well here's their chance.. Afterall TBO is only "recommended" correct?

The link worked that time. Looks like a pretty nice airplane. Easy to fly, and cheap on gas.

If I were to own it, I'd want to have a Garmin 650 installed. :)

If the purchaser plans properly, they wouldn't have only $9,500. Do people who buy $60,000 planes have only $60,000? Or those who buy $110,000 planes have only $110,000?

I don't think we should assume that just because the plane seems inexpensive that someone who has only $9,490 would dig in a couch for a dime and buy an airplane.

Well now it looks like a different question than was originally asked. A lot of guys want to by that 10-15k 150/152 instead of paying 5-10 for their training... Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't... Building time isnt' any different... You better have a backup plan, and that wasn't what i read as asked...

The 1800 since overhaul would be the least of my concerns..

If you figure in gas, buying the plane and maint on it, then you may not be as mad at your FBO as you currently are...

Figuratively speaking of course.., you know when the dude buying you car comes up and offers $5500 and says that's all he's got when you're asking $6000.. We can all assume the $5500 isn't all he has to his name and is so broke he must beg for change to get home. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Figuratively speaking of course.., you know when the dude buying you car comes up and offers $5500 and says that's all he's got when you're asking $6000.. We can all assume the $5500 isn't all he has to his name and is so broke he must beg for change to get home. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

I read it as "This is what I have today, and can spend..."

In the car world you are talking 20-30%... But only at the time of purchase...
In the airplane world, just double/triple that at any moment you own it, and you should be ok..

Well, that is usually my take on it. But I do in fact know a guy in real life that spent all he had to buy a car and then did not have enough money to buy insurance for the next two months. True story. This was not what most would consider in the realm of "Wow, that's a nice car!"

For some reason, I have a perception that pilots, even student pilots, have a better understanding on the purchase of an airplane vs an automobile. But I'm sure there are some out there that would prove this wrong, and I'm also sure that that example could exist with a $40k plane just as easily as a $9k plane.

Looks like a decent enough deal if the basics check out. I've seen much worse for 50% more money.

Isn't TBO on that engine 2400 hr? If it looks good at the pre-buy it might still have lots of flying left in it.

Not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't a trainer though.

Isn't TBO on that engine 2400 hr? If it looks good at the pre-buy it might still have lots of flying left in it.

Not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't a trainer though.

You're probably think of the Lycoming O-235 that is used on the C-152. I believe all C-150 airplanes originally shipped with the Continental O-200. I believe the recommended TBO for an O-200 is 1800 hours.

I would think to find any airworthy airplane for less than 10 grand with a fresh annual would be a bargain. With that said I would still check the plane out thoroughly to see if it has any hidden problems like corrosion issues that would be very costly in the near future. The article didn't mention any compression values for the engine unless I missed them. As long as you entered the purchase with eyes wide open to the potiential costs for engine maintenance, it looks like a good fixer upper and time builder. If you take it in for annual next year and the mechanic says you have to overhaul the engine, then you better be prepared for that as well. That past TBO stuff is only as good as finding a mechanic that will still sign off on it. As long as the engine is maintaining good compressions and is not showing other problems, you should be able to get a signoff.

Pay for a prebuy inspection and make sure they cut open the oil filter and check for metal. If it has good compression, good oil pressure and is not making metal, that engine may very well go another 1800 hours if properly maintained. These engines commonly make it to the 3600 hour mark.

Harry Fenton, an O200 guru claims that these engines, if in good condition, are statistically safer than a freshly rebuilt one.

That said, remember that there is a lot more to an airplane than an engine. If I were in the market for a trainer like this, I would investigate further into this airplane.

You're probably think of the Lycoming O-235 that is used on the C-152. I believe all C-150 airplanes originally shipped with the Continental O-200. I believe the recommended TBO for an O-200 is 1800 hours.

Yes, 1800 hours.

To the OP I would recommend googling Harry Fenton O200. You will find a very long document with all the information you can imagine regarding these good little engines.

Quick pre-buy, cut the filter, borescope the cylinders, buy, fly. Looks like a fair deal to me.

Maybe do a rattlecan paint touch-up (I've seen it done remarkably well).

Airplane economics 101. Find the market price for the best example of the type that you can find. Now find a bargain example of the type. To make the bargain example into the good example will cost approx the difference in price x150%. So to make a $10K airplane into a $50K airplane will cost you the $10K acquisition price plus $60K. Good investment? No.

For a time builder ,should be an ok plane,depending on how many hours you expect to get out of the plane ,before you upgrade the airplane,or part it out. Do a borescope,and compression check,also oil analysis

Airplane economics 101. Find the market price for the best example of the type that you can find. Now find a bargain example of the type. To make the bargain example into the good example will cost approx the difference in price x150%. So to make a $10K airplane into a $50K airplane will cost you the $10K acquisition price plus $60K. Good investment? No.

Rarely will you find an airplane which is a good "investment" as a buy, fix and sell proposition - but, if you simply want something to fly (say, to train up for your PP and IA ratings), something like this could work very well, indeed. If its condition is legitimate, and you have a little luck in the maintenance end of things (ie, nothing major breaks), you can fly this lil' sucker for a couple hundred hours and, in all likelihood, sell it for what you paid for it.

You could also yank the engine, ship it to Tom Downey for a reasonably-priced (not cheap) overhaul by a true craftsman, and put it back on and be ready for another 2500 hours of flight.

Most people will buy a new car which loses a good percentage of its value when you drive it off the lot, then agonize over an airplane like this because it may not retain its value. If I were looking, I would check it out, and if okay, give the man the cash. IF the airframe is good and corrosion free, the engine can be overhauled and at least some of the cost recouped when you get to be 91. :)

You don't make money selling aircraft, You make money buying aircraft.

$9500.00 + $12,000 for a rebuilt 0-200 = 21,500 will it sell for more than that?

OBTW, there is no filter on a 0-200 unless it's a add on after market. I doubt this one has one.

Engine has 1800 hrs on it, so an overhaul would likely be near, but then again it could make it for a long time yet. I would get a pre buy done on it, otherwise looks pretty good

For just a little bit more you can get a Bo. Or a little more and get a cirrus.

Engine has 1800 hrs on it, so an overhaul would likely be near, but then again it could make it for a long time yet. I would get a pre buy done on it, otherwise looks pretty good

What would you want me to look at for your Pre-buy inspection?

Every one says "Pre-Buy", what is that really?

It does look pretty nice! I wonder why no one at the airport has seized on this terrifice bargin? One would think the mechanic who did the last annual would have put the word out that it was a really nice airplane. ( to send an 0200 out for a well done overhaul and back in the airplane will exceed 12 grand by a goodly amount. BUT....if you insist, if you like excitement and never knowing what will happen next.....go for it! Press on! ( one like this sold at my airport, in excellent condition, 800 hours since major, for 17 grand three years ago. )

One of the biggest thing on the O200 seems to be stuck valves if you don't lean properly. 150s with O200s are prone to stuck valves; see at least one or three every year at the type club's flyin. On the one I had, one of the thru bolts was stripped. Ended up splitting the case and having it helicoiled by Divco. That was a $4500 surprise. So a pre-buy is hopefully looking for gotchas like that and corrosion and compression checks, along with a host of other things to look for that is common to the type or even to airplanes in general.

Let me preface this by saying I have no clue about these things but seems to me $9500 is the asking price. Nothing says that is what you would pay. Show up with $7500 cash. Not sure what an 0200 core is worth or what the rest of the plane would part out at.

Seems to me worst case you fly it a bit it craps out on you and you part it out and you lose a few grand best cast you ring 3-400 hours out of it then part it out, rebuild it or sell it.

Same plane was in Trade-A-Plane for 12900, which already seemed like a decent price.

From what I've seen, "bargain" airplanes tend to be expensive in the long run. Like they need an engine. Duh, I wonder why. What do you want to do, fly or fix? If what you want to do is fix, well, ok, buy a fixer upper. Just don't expect a fixer upper to be a no maintenance flyer.

And if there's no filter, check the screen for metal. If there is not a filter, add one.

From what I've seen, "bargain" airplanes tend to be expensive in the long run. Like they need an engine. Duh, I wonder why. What do you want to do, fly or fix? If what you want to do is fix, well, ok, buy a fixer upper. Just don't expect a fixer upper to be a no maintenance flyer.

But it might turn out to be a low maintenance flyer, in which case he's come out a ahead. A proper prebuy will give a good indication of the risk involved.

What would you want me to look at for your Pre-buy inspection?

Every one says "Pre-Buy", what is that really?

For the power plant

No leaks or funny noises
Good compression
Check any AD's or problem spots
Plugs clean, visually inspect wires, mags
Hoses okay
Mounts and firewall visual inspection
Control Cables okay and attached properly
Safety wire where needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does everyone want to talk about the long run? The price is (was) cheap enough that you don't have to worry about the long run. Every plane (and car) has to have a last owner. If you can get 200 hours on an airworthy $9,500 plane, aren't you already money ahead, regardless of how much you can recover from the hulk?

As long as you can satisfy yourself that it doesn't have any issues that are going to make it fall out of the sky on you, I say take the "deal" and practice your emergency landings.

Back