8710 question

shenanigans

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shen
I'm filling out an 8710 form for a checkride and I'm wondering what to put in the cross country sections. Do I put all time when landing at a different airport, or only the >50nm XC time?

since you are applying for a cert/rating then put the >50 nm time. I believe that definition is in 61.1.

since you are applying for a cert/rating then put the >50 nm time. I believe that definition is in 61.1.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Will that cause a problem if my logbook has XC time recorded the other way (i.e. the 8710 and my logbook won't match)?

Thanks, that's what I figured. Will that cause a problem if my logbook has XC time recorded the other way (i.e. the 8710 and my logbook won't match)?

It shouldn't. If you logged X/C time in strict accordance with the definition of "left one airport and landed at another", just tell the examiner on the checkride that the lesser number on the 8710 form reflects only the flights that are applicable towards a new certificate or rating.

On the other hand, if your X/C time on the 8710 is MORE than the X/C time in the logbook, that would cause a question:ihih:

i doubt the examiner will even notice. where do you fly? what examiner are you using? I taught for 4 years out of Ames and used most of the examiners in central Iowa.

Depends on which certificate/rating it is for which you are applying -- answer varies between PP/IR/CP vs ATP, Sport vs PP, rotorcraft vs airplane, etc. See 14 CFR 61.1(b)(3), and put in the XC time appropriate to the certificate/rating for which you are applying. For example, if you're applying for a PP-ASEL, put in only the time from flights with a landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure.

I'm filling out an 8710 form for a checkride and I'm wondering what to put in the cross country sections. Do I put all time when landing at a different airport, or only the >50nm XC time?

According to the instructions on the 8710-1 form:

III. RECORD OF PILOT TIME. The minimum pilot experience required
by the appropriate regulation must be entered. It is recommended, however, that ALL pilot time be entered. If decimal points are used, be sure they are legible. Night flying must be entered when required. You should fill in the blocks that apply and ignore the blocks that do not. Second In Command “SIC” time used may be entered in the appropriate blocks. Flight Simulator, Flight Training Device and PCATD time may be entered in the boxes provided. Total, Instruction received, and Instrument Time should be entered in the top, middle, or bottom of the boxes provided as appropriate.

As R&W said...
The minimum pilot experience required by the appropriate regulation must be entered.
The time in flights not involving a landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure does not meet the "appropriate regulation" for PP-A, IR-A, or CP-A, so don't enter it on an 8710-1 under XC time for those certificates/ratings. However, you may want to keep another column in your log for flights that went more than 50nm from the OPD whether there was a landing or not, so you can use it later on to meet the ATP experience requirement, and then you'd enter that on the 8710-1 for your ATP-Airplane ride. Finally, you could even keep a third XC column for flights with landings that are other than at the OPD but none more than 50nm from the OPD so you can use that to meet the XC requirements for Part 135 PIC if you ever go that route -- but that won't be going on an 8710-1.

Thank you, FAA, for giving us seven different types of XC time and only one box on the 8710-1 to enter it.

As R&W said...The time in flights not involving a landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure does not meet the "appropriate regulation" for PP-A, IR-A, or CP-A, so don't enter it on an 8710-1 under XC time for those certificates/ratings. However, you may want to keep another column in your log for flights that went more than 50nm from the OPD whether there was a landing or not, so you can use it later on to meet the ATP experience requirement, and then you'd enter that on the 8710-1 for your ATP-Airplane ride. Finally, you could even keep a third XC column for flights with landings that are other than at the OPD but none more than 50nm from the OPD so you can use that to meet the XC requirements for Part 135 PIC if you ever go that route -- but that won't be going on an 8710-1.

Thank you, FAA, for giving us seven different types of XC time and only one box on the 8710-1 to enter it.

Maybe you should bring that up with your buddies in DC next time they consult with you, or maybe you can mention it at your next congressional briefing. :rolleyes2:

According to the instructions on the 8710-1 form:

III. RECORD OF PILOT TIME. The minimum pilot experience required
by the appropriate regulation must be entered. It is recommended, however, that ALL pilot time be entered.

I did read the instructions ... but that only answers the question if I chose to only put the exact minimum value. However, I wanted to enter all pilot time, which varies based on the definition of XC. Thus the question.

Regardless, I went with the >50nm time.

As R&W said...The time in flights not involving a landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure does not meet the "appropriate regulation" for PP-A, IR-A, or CP-A, so don't enter it on an 8710-1 under XC time for those certificates/ratings.
You're stating to sound like John Madden.

Since only one or two types (and the second for the ATP) counts for the purposes of the 8710, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

I'm sure that the fledgling low-time pilot with Part 135 aspirations and the opportunity to do get that first job at a small FBO is indeed thanking the FAA that he doesn't need 100 hours of >50 NM cross countries to qualify.

Back