80 Years-old Cleveland Sectional chart

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
For the aviation history buffs, complements of my old friend "Gus" Luhta who's late dad owned Concord Airpark in Painesville, Ohio, I'm uploading a 1943 copy of the no longer in existence Cleveland Sectional.

I wonder if this could be the same type of chart my Uncle Ralph Tuuri used for navigation when he buzzed my hometown back in WW-II in a P-40 (I think). I know he did that because even as late as 1960, after I came into existence and became old enough to deliver newspapers, I had customers who vividly recounted the very day to me. They all thought the war had come to Ohio! My grandmother held onto a sapling she had recently planted, so it wouldn't blow away! One of the townsfolks ran outside with his shotgun in hand and one of my aunts and my mother-to-be ran to the upstairs window of her house on that day — the same day my aunt was getting married. First, though, my uncle buzzed the wrong town, about five miles east along the same railroad track.

I'm surprised at the detail — and no wonder you needed real good eyes to fly in the Air Corps. Also, I noticed the fan markers aren't all centered on the airways. Maybe a siting problem forced that?

Attachments

• 1943 Cleveland sectional map.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 134
Good to see an old chart ! Fan markers radiated a pretty wide signal..unlike our marker beacons.

I wish I still had sectionals from the 1970's.

Thanks for sharing.

There are a number of online sources for old/historical sectionals to include the National Archives. In the past have obtained originals/reproductions to give as nostalgic gifts to older pilot friends.

Stay on eBay long enough and you can gather quite a collection.
https://tinyurl.com/muw8z

s-l1600.jpg

Good to see an old chart ! Fan markers radiated a pretty wide signal..unlike our marker beacons.

Thanks for sharing.
I think I have a Los Angeles sectional from the 70s. . .I'll go look.

AWESOME Cleveland sectional. It even shows the Brooklyn airport were I had my first airplane ride in a new Piper Tripacer, probably around 1958.

I’m trying to remember his name, but there was a PoA member who used to sell old charts, I bought a 1943 New York Sectional from him at Sun N Fun. He was also involved in the Cubs to Oshkosh group. Rick, maybe?

Back