80% of Americans...

While your definition is literally accurate, it does not address the central issue. People are worried about the effect of so called "genetic engineering" on the safety of foodstuffs. Most of this is just anti-science, there has never been a GMO that has damaged an indigenous crop or ecosystem in the history of biological science. That said, plenty of plants and animals modified the good old-fashioned way have ruined indigenous ecosystems.

The really sad thing about all this is your digestive system cannot distinguish between GMOs and anything else you eat. There is one instance where the modification introduced a powerful allergen, I don't even know if those are still on the market.

So lets see. Use of antibiotics on commercially grown animals is really bad, since it leads to the genesis of antibiotic resistant bacterial strains. That said, your digestive system will digest any antibiotics that make it to your gastric tract, I doubt any could survive gastric acid to begin with. And whatever harm the antibiotics do is dwarfed by the harm farming does to the environment in the first place.

Treating cows with growth hormone may change the texture or taste of the meat, obviously I wouldn't know. But the hormones don't make it into tissues in any bioactive concentration, and even if they did would be broken down in your stomach before they ever had a chance to exert their effects. I suspect that treating cows with hormones is far from the worst thing done to cows in their lives.

Most genetic modifications are monoallelic (one gene or trait). They aren't monsters, and while the modified trait might make them more amenable to culture or assist with their processing, they don't make them more fit to grow in the wild. Lurid fantasies of GMOs running wild are just that, lurid fantasied. Ma nature designs pretty darn well, I doubt us humans are going to do her one better any time soon.

Now I have to ask, what happened with the whole trans fat issue?
What went wrong there?
They pushed the trans fat in hydrogenated vegetable oils as a more healthy alternative to animal fats for years and years. No one thought your body could tell (or at least it wasn't mainstream).
Turns out is so awful for you that it seemed to me it was overnight that everything started to be labeled with "0 trans fat". Turns out butter is way way better for you than margarine or Crisco.

Looking back there's a lot written about motivations and all that, but I'm curious what your take is on that.

I believe what you say about GMO, but you mentioned antibiotics, growth hormone, and even though it might seem harmless, how is this different from the aforementioned issue that guarantees 20 years from now we won't find out how poisonous it really was?

Back