8 Eastern Kentucky Univ Planes Have Electronis Stolen at KRGA

FlyingElvii

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
flyingElvii
1 yes, two maybe, three or more... sounds like someone missed a few payments.

1 yes, two maybe, three or more... sounds like someone missed a few payments.

Or an inside job, or at least some inside info.

The article says:

some students may be unable to resume flights for “roughly a week as we equip a portion of our fleet with new avionics."​

Does insurance pay better than eBay? :eek:

Has to be a inside job, airports have fences around them.;)

Or an inside job, or at least some inside info.

The article says:

some students may be unable to resume flights for “roughly a week as we equip a portion of our fleet with new avionics."​

Does insurance pay better than eBay? :eek:

marc

Has to be a inside job, airports have fences around them.;)
Years ago, I showed up at HEF for an early morning rental and found absolute carnage on the ramp. One plane was completely sliced up by a prop and the other was significantly damaged. I couldn't figure out how something crashed into the ramp like that without hitting the planes closer to the runway in the same row.

Turns out some guys got out to the field and managed to fire up one engine on Colgan's King Air and taxi it into a broad arc before getting it stuck. After we figured that out the TV crew showed up. The reporter asked me why the tower didn't see it. I pointed out that the tower closed at 11PM and given the large quantity of beer cans in the wreckage, this probably happened after the bars closed.

But they got old man Colgan on TV saying "It has to be an inside these jobs. Getting one of these started isn't easy. Unless you know how... then it's easy." I'm muttering to myself that I'm fairly certain the "instructions" for doing that are inside the cockpit somewhere.

Keep your eye open for cheap Garmin panels on EBay, folks.
Unfortunately, most of the name brand stuff usually ends up out of the country, especially after such a large scale theft.

Years ago, I showed up at HEF for an early morning rental and found absolute carnage on the ramp. One plane was completely sliced up by a prop and the other was significantly damaged. I couldn't figure out how something crashed into the ramp like that without hitting the planes closer to the runway in the same row.

Turns out some guys got out to the field and managed to fire up one engine on Colgan's King Air and taxi it into a broad arc before getting it stuck. After we figured that out the TV crew showed up. The reporter asked me why the tower didn't see it. I pointed out that the tower closed at 11PM and given the large quantity of beer cans in the wreckage, this probably happened after the bars closed.

But they got old man Colgan on TV saying "It has to be an inside these jobs. Getting one of these started isn't easy. Unless you know how... then it's easy." I'm muttering to myself that I'm fairly certain the "instructions" for doing that are inside the cockpit somewhere.

Ha! Many moons ago (long before HEF even had a tower), I worked as a lineman for Colgan - back when old man Colgan was still running it. They had 2 Beech 99's, and 2 1900's (one of which was the first production airplane, IIRC). They operated one 1900, leased the other to someone else. Chief pilot and Colgan's 1900 had a little cameo in the Micheal Keaton movie "Gung Ho".

I was in the "junior birdman" stage then, with a couple of hundred hours, but the Colgan Airlines of that era didn't seem anything like the one that got (in)famous.

--Tony

Since my plane has an ELT I bought the Garmin Mini for SOS via satellite. Boy is it mini!

A few years back a technology magnet school was hit by computer thieves. A rented panel van pulled up to the building and two guys wearing "Computer Leasing Solutions" knit shirts started loading equipment from the building into the van. The campus' clueless "rent-a-cop" held the front door for them and even opened a couple of locked classroom doors to facilitate...

A few years back a technology magnet school was hit by computer thieves. A rented panel van pulled up to the building and two guys wearing "Computer Leasing Solutions" knit shirts started loading equipment from the building into the van. The campus' clueless "rent-a-cop" held the front door for them and even opened a couple of locked classroom doors to facilitate...
Long long time ago when I was a consultant I used to help companies evaluate their exposure to social engineering- including physical risks. One client (a big regional bank within the US) let me into their main branch, unsupervised for the most part. I even got into their vault. It was before I owned a phone with a camera which is a shame. They got their moneys worth from my report.

Back