787 Type Certificate Issued - FINALLY!

YES! Another outsourcing success story! Aren't they like 4 years late?

Something like that.

I am pretty certain that they have concluded that whole outsourcing thing was a Very Bad Idea.

No, only 3 years late. Not that that is anything to brag about, either. Outsourcing is another one of the bean counters bad ideas.

the countries that are the biggest buyers wouldn't buy unless their country got to build it.

no market, no aircraft and jobs here. it isn't a single point of build anymore.

the countries that are the biggest buyers wouldn't buy unless their country got to build it.

no market, no aircraft and jobs here. it isn't a single point of build anymore.
You probably think that's a good idea.

So now these countries develop their industry, make their own planes long term, and Boeing made ther competitors. Pretty much what Merck, BMS, Novartis, etc. are doing by outsourcing R&D and API synthesis to these same countries. Now the largest pharma company isn't Merck or J&J any more.

You probably think that's a good idea.

Why would you make a statement like that ? do you presume to know what I think?

So now these countries develop their industry, make their own planes long term, and Boeing made their competitors. Pretty much what Merck, BMS, Novartis, etc. are doing by outsourcing R&D and API synthesis to these same countries. Now the largest pharma company isn't Merck or J&J any more.

They also make parts using chemicals we can use in this country due to EPA and union hazmat restrictions.

But I agree, we do loose our edge on technology,

They also make parts using chemicals we can use in this country due to EPA and union hazmat restrictions.

But I agree, we do loose our edge on technology,
I know they make "parts" using the same chemicals we can- I guess they have the same restrictions in China as we do here?

Having worked in the industry, and continue to consult with the pharmaceutical industry, I can tell you there are few restrictions on the chemicals used in this country for pharmaceutical R&D and production. I haven't even heard of a union, at least for the R&D chemists.

Last edited:
It wasn't just the outsourcing that hurt the schedule on this program. Boeing underestimated the technical hurdles that come with building the worlds first composite all electric (read: no bleed air) aircraft.

Lets not forget that the one of the major delays came from composite delaminations of the wing from the spar during the wing ultimate load test. Another from an electrical fire during testing.

That said, the type cert is a tremendous accomplishement for Boeing.

Back