77 Cessna 150M Leading Edges: Looking for parts

Emerson Portes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy00777
Hello! I’ve been trying to repair the RH wing for my 1977 Cessna 150M but having a hard time locating parts. Hard to believe as this is not a unicorn plane. I’m looking for both inboard and outboard leading edge, parts number below. Cessna has the inboard skin only but as you would guess it cost an arm and a leg.

0523007-11 outboard
0523003-11 inboard

Is there any place that might have them or any place where these might be fabricated? Already looking at eBay, salvages places and local shop here only replace. Although the wing has damage on the leading edge, the entire structure is in prestige conditions; no rust, dent/ding, scratch, none of that. So that’s the main reason for repairing instead of replacing it. Any help?

It's just flat wrap 2024T3. Lots of structures shops can make it.

Any help?
Have you tried Preferred Airparts? I'm not a fan of factory skins especially if they come with pilot holes. There's no guarantee they'll be a better fit than if you fabricate your own edges. As to getting a shop to make you some its doable but if the shop is not set up to fabricate PMA skins they'll usually want to the aircraft or wing on site for fit and other requirements. Perhaps the shop who will replace these skins can make arrangements to have them fabricated? Regardless, if the rest of the wing is in "prestige condition" you may want to rethink planned repair as it will take some disassembly to replace the entire leading edges. Perhaps a localized repair could be an option vs both leading edges.

Worth a call to Aerospace Components ( former Williams) in Indiana. I learned a long time ago that they could do the whole job for less than I could buy the parts.Maybe they sell parts?

It's just flat wrap 2024T3. Lots of structures shops can make it.

Thanks! This was my initial plan but the tech I could only find that work remote only does “replacing” parts. Can’t understand why if, aside from doing the e measurement and cutting the sheet, it’s the same job.

Have you tried Preferred Airparts? I'm not a fan of factory skins especially if they come with pilot holes. There's no guarantee they'll be a better fit than if you fabricate your own edges. As to getting a shop to make you some its doable but if the shop is not set up to fabricate PMA skins they'll usually want to the aircraft or wing on site for fit and other requirements. Perhaps the shop who will replace these skins can make arrangements to have them fabricated? Regardless, if the rest of the wing is in "prestige condition" you may want to rethink planned repair as it will take some disassembly to replace the entire leading edges. Perhaps a localized repair could be an option vs both leading edges.

Thanks and sorry, I meant “pristine conditions”. Yes, I’ve also tried them and they have everything but the skin that I need. I was able to find a shop too that can fabricate both leading edge for about $7k but they would need the wing ship to them. That’s another $3k to ship both way the wing. I think I’ll need a second mortgage to do the repair.

Worth a call to Aerospace Components ( former Williams) in Indiana. I learned a long time ago that they could do the whole job for less than I could buy the parts.Maybe they sell parts?

Great, thanks! Will do!

I was able to find a shop too that can fabricate both leading edge for about $7k but they would need the wing ship to them. That’s another $3k to ship both way the wing. I think I’ll need a second mortgage to do the repair.
Aviation isn't cheap. Never was. And the number of competent mechanics and shops is dwindling, requiring shipping, and shipping is getting more expensive all the time, too.

I replaced the LE skins on a 150 wing. It's a lot of work, and much care must be taken when drilling out the rivets that retain the old skin. That skin is riveted to the top and bottom spar flanges, and if your bit wanders off and cuts some spar material out, you might have to replace some really expensive stuff. Might be cheaper to replace the airplane.

It might be helpful if folks put their location in posts. As was said; shipping is pricey.

Also there are Techs that see a huge difference between Cessna skins ( part) and cutting and installing a piece of 2024T3 ( raw material) .

Dan’s comment on rivet removal is very accurate. One slip = trash. This is not a task for novices or if you are in a hurry.

My technique is slower and uses 2 drill sizes and a drill stop.

Last edited:
at those quotes, replacing the wing as a whole assembly and salvaging the current wing components, might be the cheaper way. This is why this hobby is dying. I've owned a C-150; the hull value wouldn't have survived the repair you propose at the quote prices being given. Throwaway airplanes, like most orphaned fac builts these days.

For the record I did have some wing skin work done back in 2016, and the total didn't come out to what it's being quoted, and mine involved reskinning of ailerons and R/R of outboard spar (thank heavens for the "cheap" uber modular PA-28 construction) on top of the wing skin work/quote. Inflation and the "slow boat from China" excuse has absolutely made the fac built side of this hobby a very lopsided proposition compared to late 2019, before the world went insane.

Seriously, insurance quote it, total it, get the check and move on. At some point this Chit ain't fun no more, which I thought was the point after all.

The Cessna Service Manual has info on repairs rather than replace. IIRC it did authorize splicing the Leading Edge and specified duplicating a factory splice.

Any pix or description of damage?

I was able to find a shop too that can fabricate both leading edge for about $7k but they would need the wing ship to them.
If I had to guess the $7K included installing the leading edges as well, not just fabricate them. I don't know what your experience with structural repair is, but you need to keep in mind sheetmetal is very labor intensive and with shops rates at $100/hour it is very easy to see costs at that level.

What guidance is your mechanic or IA offering with this repair? Having experience with wing rebuilds I can't quite visualize the need to replace both leading edges if the damage didn't include other parts of the wing. If you like post a picture of the damage and we might be able offer an alternative option.

You will absolutely want to ASSURE that whoever is actually doing the repair use
the simple tools and procedures to provide the proper wash-out. Easy to check.
Tough to correct if alignment wrong. Cessna SM

Back