750 Help

Patb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Patb
Hi - My first post to this forum.

I have a G600 with a 750/650 stack. I'm running into a problem with the 750. When I select the Load Approach button, the approach doesn't load to the flight plan or the map. I have to activate the approach for it to load. This is a new development since I've been loading approaches with the 750 for a year now.

Anyone have this problem or know if there is a known issue with a particular software version for the 750?

thanks,
Pat

I have not come across a complete inability to load an approach in a 750. Can you recreate the exact situation in the simulator? And I mean exact. Airport, approach, choice of IAF, transition or VTF, and the location of the aircraft. Any of those things can sometimes make a difference.

Give him a chance to get acclimated first.

Welcome to POA, Pat.

And, Pat, if you don't have the sim available, why not post the circumstances you saw it here.

I have not come across a complete inability to load an approach in a 750. Can you recreate the exact situation in the simulator? And I mean exact. Airport, approach, choice of IAF, transition or VTF, and the location of the aircraft. Any of those things can sometimes make a difference.
Thanks for the reply. At this point, I have the issue no matter the airport, approach, or transition. I have noticed the issue for ILS and RNAV approaches at KHSV, KLEX and KFYM. When I select the Load Approach button, the 750 displays the flight plan (as it should) with rows for the fixes, only there is no information where the fixes and distances should be. When I activate the approach, everything fills in as normal and I can fly the approach. I really like being able to load the approach and not activate it. I have a habit of doing this when flying a visual as a check for runway alignment, etc.

I update data for it monthly as required, but have not had any software upgrades done to either the 750 or 650. I'm not sure what is going on. Looks like I may have to visit someone who knows garmin avionics. I do not easy access to a SIM.

@PaulSanchez. :devil::devil:
Not quite sure what you're after, but if it's to get to know me, here you go.
I'm a Bonanza driver and I love it. I'm based in KHSV and got my private certificate in 2010 and instrument rating in 2012. My missions are typically to fly my wife and I around the southeast for our business which is writing software for the transportation industry. My first plane was a DA40 which I also loved, but am going higher and faster now with my Bonanza - N3272V. Recenly had it painted and here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 3272V Paint 2.JPG
    3272V Paint 2.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3272V Paint 3.JPG
    3272V Paint 3.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 18
Never had that happen on my 530/430 stack ;)

All joke aside, nice looking Bo

Thanks for the reply. At this point, I have the issue no matter the airport, approach, or transition. I have noticed the issue for ILS and RNAV approaches at KHSV, KLEX and KFYM. When I select the Load Approach button, the 750 displays the flight plan (as it should) with rows for the fixes, only there is no information where the fixes and distances should be. When I activate the approach, everything fills in as normal and I can fly the approach. I really like being able to load the approach and not activate it. I have a habit of doing this when flying a visual as a check for runway alignment, etc.

I update data for it monthly as required, but have not had any software upgrades done to either the 750 or 650. I'm not sure what is going on. Looks like I may have to visit someone who knows garmin avionics. I do not easy access to a SIM.
I was referring to the free PC-based GNS simulator available from Garmin at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=9256 or the one for the iPad, free for 30 days then $25 if I recall correctly. I usually run scenarios on it when I am trying to learn something about the functionality.

This is a screen of a flight from KFYM to KHSV with the approach loaded, but not activated. All I did to set it up is to be at KFYM, create a flight plan direct to KHSV, start going and load the approach. If those are the steps you are taking and that's not what you are seeing, I'm pretty sure there's something wrong. Most everyone loads approaches before they activate them. But if there is something wrong, whether it's the unit itself or something in the user settings or like that, I don't know enough to know. It mighty even be related to the G600/GTN interface.
170513Temp1.PNG

Not quite sure what you're after...
He's messing with you. We're like that here. You might as well get used to it ;)

Actually, if Paul were around he might actually know if there is something wrong and what it might be.

Not quite sure what you're after
It was poking fun at the situation at the expense of a personality on the AOPA board. Paul knows the Garmin systems very well and is often hired to teach pilots their new to them aircraft that has a much more complex avionics suite than they are used to.

But for questions like this, Paul is known for not providing a straight to the point answer. Just one that sorta points where to look and maybe solve it yourself. But occasionally just serves to deepen the confusion.

I was referring to the free PC-based GNS simulator available from Garmin at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=9256 or the one for the iPad, free for 30 days then $25 if I recall correctly. I usually run scenarios on it when I am trying to learn something about the functionality.

This is a screen of a flight from KFYM to KHSV with the approach loaded, but not activated. All I did to set it up is to be at KFYM, create a flight plan direct to KHSV, start going and load the approach. If those are the steps you are taking and that's not what you are seeing, I'm pretty sure there's something wrong. Most everyone loads approaches before they activate them. But if there is something wrong, whether it's the unit itself or something in the user settings or like that, I don't know enough to know. It mighty even be related to the G600/GTN interface.
View attachment 53525

Gotcha. I flew round trip from KHSV to KY8 on Sunday. I loaded different approaches for different airports with different transitions. Sometimes they loaded and sometimes they did not. I could not find a pattern. My one saving grace is that they always loaded when the approach was Activated. But the fact that it is not working as it should is a cause for great concern. At least it is to me. What may fail next? What happens if it doesn't load when Activated and I'm coming into 500 ft. ceilings? In any case I am about convinced that I have either a hardware or software issue. My data is all up to date. I'm always open to new ideas, but I've used the 750 successfully for a year now, so I know something is not right.

Thanks for the ideas and assistance guys.

Pat

Never had that happen on my 530/430 stack ;)

All joke aside, nice looking Bo
Thanks! Got a great paint job from Advanced Aircraft Refinishers in GA. It took a while and was not cheap, but they did a stand up job.

He's messing with you. We're like that here. You might as well get used to it ;)

Actually, if Paul were around he might actually know if there is something wrong and what it might be.

OK. I was on a forum a while back where I had to include bio and pics, so I thought, why not? :)

Back