75% of my towns police force just resigned

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Chesapeake-Police-Chief-Resigns-392517811.html

Granted, it only had 4 officers to begin with, now only one left. It's like a scene from Mayberry, the mayor is mad because a drug rehab halfway house moved in the village without his approval. Sucks because this guy had only been on the jobs few months, but did away with the speed traps and insesscant radar running, and actually directed traffic when one of the three stoplights we have quit working.
The ex chief of police was fired earlier this summer. Rumor has it when he left he took a cruiser and now has it in his garage, I assume as a memento? Small town politics as usual.

OMG! We moved away and now all he-double-toothpicks is breaking out . . .

Sorry bout that, man!

all too familiar here
a local sheriff wont sign a disclosure of conflict of interest agreement, as is required by state law (eyeroll)

OMG! We moved away and now all he-double-toothpicks is breaking out . . .

Sorry bout that, man!

It's awesome. They no longer run a speed trap by the church going towards Proctorville, so I shave at least 4 minutes off my drive to work! Win, win!

Same ole backwards a@$ Lawrence County

One of our deputies did a hit and run in billings while drunk and high on pills a couple months back, so they let him resign...... Because he had a prescription for the pills.

The Constables' office recently quit running the burglary trap in my neighborhood. Now the Pawn shops have new inventory and the criminals can go out for a nice dinner. Yay!

Love small town Police.

Radom story...

I was working in the middle of nowhere Kentucky for a few days and our project involved a lot of interaction with the Police Chief of a department of 9 officers. I kid you not...it was a dry county...turns out the Chief's son (who we hired to be some overnight security) was churning moonshine and the Chief left us three different flavored mason jars for $20 under a cinder block behind the police station across the street!

Can't make that crap up.

It was damn good too.

Love small town Police.

Radom story...

I was working in the middle of nowhere Kentucky for a few days and our project involved a lot of interaction with the Police Chief of a department of 9 officers. I kid you not...it was a dry county...turns out the Chief's son (who we hired to be some overnight security) was churning moonshine and the Chief left us three different flavored mason jars for $20 under a cinder block behind the police station across the street!

Can't make that crap up.

It was damn good too.

We ran a music festival for 14 years where we would barter the local deputies to provide security in exchange for some jars of Apple Pie or Lemon Drop. Our county lets the local township decide if they are wet or not. Half of our farm is in a wet township, the other half not. So to get a license to sell at our show we had to put another mailbox at the gate that was in the wet township.

Anyway, We are on day 3 of only having one cop on duty, so far all is well...

They are treated just like teachers...low pay, more work and little respect. I can't blame them. Just down the road from tree96.

You couldn't pay me enough to be cop now days.

Major city....no way...but a 50K population middle class neighborhood department a few hours out of the major metropolitan cites out west....those guys are still dong pretty dang good for themselves.

I think with all the bs fluff pieces the news channels are spewing about the cops doing their jobs these days, it would be beneficial for every cop in the country to take a weeks vacation at the same time and then see how much they are missed. Most towns wouldn't even notice but the larger metro areas would sink into a hell hole in about thirteen minutes.

You couldn't pay me enough to be cop now days.

There's actually a pretty good argument that if cops wield deadly force, instead of paying low salaries and requiring little education, requiring more and paying well, and also removing the personal liability protections, might end up in better outcomes. Think Docs and malpractice insurance, here.

I think with all the bs fluff pieces the news channels are spewing about the cops doing their jobs these days, it would be beneficial for every cop in the country to take a weeks vacation at the same time and then see how much they are missed. Most towns wouldn't even notice but the larger metro areas would sink into a hell hole in about thirteen minutes.

Wouldn't take 13 minutes.

This guy is outa work, been looking for work since the 60s! View attachment 47706

Didn't Barney buy an apartment building in Santa Monica that he leased to two chicks and a dude? Oh, that's right, became a fish for a bit first. I don't think he ever had any money issues before he passed away in 2006 at the young age of 81.

At my home town in Texas, while not a requirement, successful applicants to the police have at least a 4 year degree.

Stark difference where 40 years ago the only requirement was to be related to the police chief.

I dated a girl in Alabama, her dad was sheriff for many years. He paid his deputies $1500 per month.

Even small towns would notice the drop in revenue from speeding tickets...

Even small towns would notice the drop in revenue from speeding tickets...
Around here that's a common misconception. Revenue generated by tickets is underwhelming for the departments and municipalities. The court system makes a friggin' killing off of them though.

Around here that's a common misconception. Revenue generated by tickets is underwhelming for the departments and municipalities. The court system makes a friggin' killing off of them though.

Depends on how the revenue is booked in any particular location. And in most places, massive deficit spending supports one to bring in revenue for the other.

One of the biggest "controversies" in my county is how much debt the county has from building a fancy "justice center" (ironic, perhaps).

And the Deputies brag about how cool their in-vehicle printers are so they don't have to manually write tickets anymore. From their nearly new Dodge Chargers and Dodge trucks. Because pens and paper are apparently operate or something. I dunno.

I don't mind them having good gear, but in a rural county, bragging about having better things than everyone who pays the bills, probably isn't wise. Just enjoy the thing and shut up about it.

This year the state of Montana upped the interstate limit to 80. Previously it was 75 and you could get caught going up to 10 over and it was a twenty dollar ticket that didn't go on your record or the points system now it is a 35 dollar ticket and up that causes points and records. The state said they expected to bring in up to 35k a year from speeding tickets.

This year the state of Montana upped the interstate limit to 80. Previously it was 75 and you could get caught going up to 10 over and it was a twenty dollar ticket that didn't go on your record or the points system now it is a 35 dollar ticket and up that causes points and records. The state said they expected to bring in up to 35k a year from speeding tickets.

They keep waffling up there and can't make up their minds.

They once removed the speed limit completely in some portions of the State during daylight hours, but the Feds didn't like that their money was going for those roads and cracked down on them via the usual strong arm method of shutting off the money.

But not surprising the pendulum continues, even in the middle of nowhere, to swing toward the false safety side of things.

The video out recently of a cop "brake checking" someone he claimed was tailgating was cute. Funnier yet that the guy stopped in time, just fine, and had a dashcam rolling. Total douchebag move on that one.

Saw these signs in Ontario this summer
speeding? $10,000.00 fine

Nice how that law makes the issuing officer the judge, jury and executioner, with no appeal permitted before losing your license and vehicle for seven days. You are automatically charged with Street Racing even if alone on an empty highway. My question: who am I racing in an empty road???

They keep waffling up there and can't make up their minds.

They once removed the speed limit completely in some portions of the State during daylight hours, but the Feds didn't like that their money was going for those roads and cracked down on them via the usual strong arm method of shutting off the money.

But not surprising the pendulum continues, even in the middle of nowhere, to swing toward the false safety side of things.

The video out recently of a cop "brake checking" someone he claimed was tailgating was cute. Funnier yet that the guy stopped in time, just fine, and had a dashcam rolling. Total douchebag move on that one.
After the federal mandated 55 mph was done away with, Montana went to "reasonable and prudent" which was fine if you understood the intent. That was destined to fail though. Keeping it at 75 would have been fine, not sure why thy thought they had to raise it to 80?
At any given time in my state, there is a maximum of 7 state troopers patrolling our roads, they are pretty effective it seems. This summer I got nabbed by a trooper for going 40 in a so called 35 zone that is actually a 45, but there was construction going on behind me. I asked him where the sign was and what did it say? He said there isn't a sign with 35 but it was a 35 zone. Since no sign, no ticket and I gave him the secret Mason's handshake to seal the deal. That same week, my parents got nabbed doing 83 in their corvette on their way to our house and my aunt and uncle got caught 84 just outside of town, don't remember what they were visiting test weekend but the state made a few dollars off them that the month before they wouldn't have.

Nice how that law makes the issuing officer the judge, jury and executioner, with no appeal permitted before losing your license and vehicle for seven days. You are automatically charged with Street Racing even if alone on an empty highway. My question: who am I racing in an empty road???
It sounds like thy now have a tool in their pocket to clamp down on the morons who are actually racing, but will also give them a reason to catch the youtubers.
There was a clown over in billings this summer who was taunting the police on a sport bike, he would flip them off and then just speed off, driving like a jackhole. Became quite the news for a couple weeks. These are the buttclowns these laws are intended for but they always seem to get stretched at some point.

Major city....no way...but a 50K population middle class neighborhood department a few hours out of the major metropolitan cites out west....those guys are still dong pretty dang good for themselves.

When I was working in the Cleveland area, I was told by a city administrator that the cops in the suburb towns (Seven Hills, Brunswick, etc) were pulling down nearly six figures.

When I was working in the Cleveland area, I was told by a city administrator that the cops in the suburb towns (Seven Hills, Brunswick, etc) were pulling down nearly six figures.

The Lincoln newspaper recently published all city employee salaries, there were 4 times as many fire department making >$100k than police.

After the federal mandated 55 mph was done away with, Montana went to "reasonable and prudent" which was fine if you understood the intent. That was destined to fail though. Keeping it at 75 would have been fine, not sure why thy thought they had to raise it to 80?

Ever driven through any of those areas? 85+ in good weather in the daytime is still plenty "reasonable and prudent". Nothing out there for miles.

I went through there at 85 back when it had no limit and that was only because the 4-banger was fully loaded and wouldn't go any faster. Got passed like I was standing still and never saw a wreck.

And this from the guy who drives the speed limit everywhere.

Back