747 Humor

That's funny! Thanks! Reminds me of Navy boot camp at San Diego, watching the Marine boots running PT behind the planes at Lindburg field...I'll be darned if the whole squad didn't stay in step as they all blew over when the plane turned onto the runway for takeoff!

Lends credence to the illustrations in my Jeppesen PP manual showing wind velocities behind jet aircraft. I give them a wide berth. Not that I've had to worry about sharing the ramp with transport category aircraft anywhere except Hawaii (HNL, OGG and KOA, especially KOA).

Dave Krall CFII said:
They didn't get the obvious point the first time and had to use two cars ?
I don't think they HAD to use two cars - I'm thinkin' that they WANTED to blow a "slab sided hippy car" right off the runway. Sort of like Letterman dropping things from high places. :D

Makes me mad, i always wanted a 2CV, ever since i saw American Grafitti
Dave G

SkyHog said:
wow - that second car FLEW!! that was awesome
Yes, but those Renault 2CV's (literally deux chevaux, or two horsepower) are made from paper anyhow. They are/were the French equivalent of the Volkswagen, the people's car, that anyone could afford. They did develop kind of an ugly chic. I'd rather have a Trabant.

-Skip

etsisk said:
I don't think they HAD to use two cars - I'm thinkin' that they WANTED to blow a "slab sided hippy car" right off the runway. Sort of like Letterman dropping things from high places. :D

You're probably right...
Must be nice for them to be so easily entertained ! I wonder what stopped them from jumping a few into the intakes ?

Shipoke said:
Dave G

"Price just reduced on a well used 2CV, slight hangar rash.":D

Skip Miller said:
Yes, but those Renault 2CV's (literally deux chevaux, or two horsepower) are made from paper anyhow. They are/were the French equivalent of the Volkswagen, the people's car, that anyone could afford. They did develop kind of an ugly chic. I'd rather have a Trabant.

-Skip

I love doesh voes. I think they are cute in an ugly kind of way. :)

Dave Krall CFII said:
You're probably right...
Must be nice for them to be so easily entertained ! I wonder what stopped them from jumping a few into the intakes ?
That would be the OWNERS of the 747, I expect. That and the gazillions of bucks to buy new engines . . . :eek:

Ghery said:
Lends credence to the illustrations in my Jeppesen PP manual showing wind velocities behind jet aircraft. I give them a wide berth. Not that I've had to worry about sharing the ramp with transport category aircraft anywhere except Hawaii (HNL, OGG and KOA, especially KOA).

Sometimes, I think controllers don't quite understand the dangers of jet blast. When there is a jet at the reagular hold short line, I stop at the ILS hold short line, which gives me a good 200-300 ft from the rear of the transport.

Tower routinely wants me to "move on up closer" to the transport, and I respond, "Unable, jetblast", but they still chew my ear off wanting me to move up. Sorry, nuh, uh.

The one time I flew out of RDU, the instructor I was with showed me how to position at the hold line, tucked in at an angle on the far left corner of it - that gave the big guys room to go around and make the turn onto the runway while the jet blast would be directed completely away from where we were. Seeing the video certainly drives (or, um, flings) that lesson home! Imagine if that little duck (nickname for the CV) had wings!

That dude's nuts to stand in the intake like that!! Pretty impressive show of power to tumble more than a ton like it did, though. Didn't even make it even with the tailcone before it was blown away!

etsisk said:
That would be the OWNERS of the 747, I expect. That and the gazillions of bucks to buy new engines . . . :eek:

Whaaa ?!?
That's a small price to pay for gratuitous, network grade entertainment !

That TV show is called Brainiac here:
http://www.g4tv.com/brainiac/index.html

It just started on Comcast's G4, which us geeks have been boycotting since they bought and destroyed TechTV, but they're going for the Spike (males with boy's toy) audience now.

I was channel surfing when I caught scantily-clad brit girls blowing stuff up with various amounts of various explosives. I set the TiVo season pass right then and there. It turned out to be a good thing that I still G4 on favorites list. Actually, I have a season pass to "Call for Help."

Incredible video. Thanks for sharing.
Side question: does anyone know the wind velocity coming out of each engine? Just curious, not trying to hijack the thread.

CAVU,
Kevin

Skip Miller said:

-Skip

Sorry to burst your bubble Skip but the 2CV was made by Citroen not Renault

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRUE-CLASSIC-1964-CITROEN-2CV_W0QQitemZ4604319320QQcategoryZ6183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave G.

Shipoke said:
Dave G

Well you could probably get a pretty good deal on that one. Plus you could have (the pieces of) it shipped in a small box.

kevin47881 said:
Incredible video. Thanks for sharing.
Side question: does anyone know the wind velocity coming out of each engine? Just curious, not trying to hijack the thread.
Just guessing, but probably slightly subsonic, but lots of volume. Then again maybe faster than Mach 1, otherwise there wouln't be much thrust when the jet is flying at max speed.

lancefisher said:
Just guessing, but probably slightly subsonic, but lots of volume. Then again maybe faster than Mach 1, otherwise there wouln't be much thrust when the jet is flying at max speed.

Page 6-48 of my Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual (from 6 years ago) give a couple of illustrations showing "wind" velocities behind a jet at idle thrust and takeoff thrust. Looks like a B-707 class aircraft in the illustrations, to give an idea of scale. At idle thrust, up to about 50 feet aft of the tail, in line with the outboard engines, you'll see 50 mph winds. 35 mph up to about 140 feet aft of the tail. At takeoff thrust, 50 feet behind the tail, in line with the outboard engines, you'll see 150 mph winds. 100 mph as much as 200 feet behind the tail. In other words, leave some space cause even at idel thrust these velocities are significant to our bug smashers.

Oh, and thrust from a jet (or rocket) comes from expelling mass in the other direction. The relative velocity (compared to the engine) is important, not the overall velocity. Thus, as long as there is mass going out the back and the thrust is adequate to overcome drag (0 for a rocket in space), it will accellerate. Even if the mass going out the back has a forward velocity compared with an observer in a fixed point.

Back