747 airworthy without winglet?

Yes, they are. So long as the aircraft is certified as not having structural damage, it's kosher.

I'm not sure I'd want to fly on it, myself. Surely there were added "abnormal" stresses when cutting off a wingtip from behind. It may be safe but some things, I'm not always willing to trust one's word on.

Now, on to other pressing matters with a link on the same page. I have renewed faith in British journalism!

Yes, they are. So long as the aircraft is certified as not having structural damage, it's kosher.

I am not sure I would want to fly it with one winglet missing.

And definitely not with jagged metal hanging off of it.

I am not sure I would want to fly it with one winglet missing.

And definitely not with jagged metal hanging off of it.

I am told that the POH / MEL / whatever you hot-rods call it has performance tables for operation with one winglet missing.

But I certainly agree, that I'd want any jaggies tended to, and assurance of an appropriate inspection confirming airworthiness.

And it's not duct tape; it's speed tape.

Boy thats crazy, although I like the comment, "If I pay 100% of the airfare, I better get 100% of the airplane."

For inop equiptment, ie radios, airconditioning systems, brakes etc. there is the MEL, or Minimum Equiptment List. For missing static wicks, inspection plates, gear doors, wing tips etc. there is the CDL, or Configuration Devation List. This list covers those parts of the aircraft that can be missing or removed and the aircraft still operated on a revenue flight. Some times depending on what is missing there are weight and or speed restriction. These lists are developed by the aircraft manufacturer and the airlines with approval by the FAA. Airlines could not operate without 600 mph speed tape.
Ron

Here is more information on Configuration Deviation Lists.

http://amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=1016

However, it seems to me like they were pushing it a bit. The article says,
article said:
The airplane must undergo a flight test (which is extremely costly), with the subject item missing and must include an assessment of the flying qualities of the airplane out to VD/MD. The airplane may not exhibit any handling problems including flutter evaluation.
Obviously they couldn't have done a flight test with the winglet in its specific ragged condition. Maybe if they had just taken the whole thing off...

Back