70 mph indicated, 120 over the ground.

Where are you headed? Roundup isn’t exactly Gotham.

Dekalb, near Chicago.

Direct... sadly. Spending extra time on that end to see friends in Oshkosh.

Never flown around these parts. Pretty cool. And looking at the national radar it seems I’m in the right place!

Looks awesome. I’m jealous of your adventure and hope to live vicariously through more pictures as you slowly fly over the fly-over states I call home.

Stop by Brodhead (C37) if you have time, huge 'Pete following there.

Just be glad you weren’t going the other way.

Oh ya! Was thinking about that....

Well, if you were going the other way you would still be going the same way, but facing the other way.

Super cool pics!

I think I see the reason for your left turning tendency on takeoffs. There’s a rope tied through your left wheel. A mor3 thorough preflight would have detected that if you hadn’t been so focused on collecting gascolator samples and looking for frogs in your tank. Hope this helps on future legs. Have fun.

So there I was....

So that’s my method for self propping. Once on a X/C a guy offered to prop me. I had met him before and he’d propped me once a year or two previously.

He cranks me up, says good bye and off he goes. I can’t get the Piet (a different one with spoke wheels) to move. I’m revving, playing with the brakes... just confused.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, it’s him, he points at my parking brake... and then even offered an excuse! “Seems I broke your habit pattern...” gives a wink, pat on the shoulder and heads off again...

Geesh...

It is an absolutely gorgeous fall day to fly up here. I'm glad someone's taking advantage of it.

4C7E86E1-012A-472A-A059-CF18F41D0DD4.jpeg 60DAD8E2-497A-42DF-BC99-876E2E7C20D9.jpeg 24953CDE-4C82-4D34-BF46-F2584EDF488B.jpeg

Sunrise in a Pietenpol... not a common sight! Finished up the trip, went really well. Was met by my bud who has a Varga for a few days r and r in Oshkosh.

This was fun. Weather was perfect which was probably the key factor.

Thanks to everyone for tuning in... next up is a similar trip from between Miami and Orlando to east of Dallas in another Piet!

e3c69aa7-fe1b-4140-a37b-4a54231b5dd9-jpeg.100334
What lake is that? It looks like it could be Oahe, but I had figured you’d be too far south for that.

I gotta check... Wasn’t the Miss, hadn’t figured out to take pics and not crash yet!

a SMALL open cockpit plane without trim is a handful...

Edit:

WHOA... good eyes, you are exactly right. Musta just been bumpy around the miss, or something, I remember missing it.

The first pic is a big old something not even on the chart in SD.

Good catch!

Last edited:
I gotta check... Wasn’t the Miss, hadn’t figured out to take pics and not crash yet!

a SMALL open cockpit plane without trim is a handful...
No trim?!?

upload_2021-9-23_22-28-40.jpeg

I could do this trip every day of the week and twice on Sunday in a plane with no radio, GPS, etc. But I need my trim!

And OUT of trim! Newest plane I’ve ever flown with about 40 hrs...

Rather small windshields, so very breezy!

WONDERFUL plane built by a consummate craftsman.

Back