7" G3X or dual GI 275?

wheaties

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wheaties
Which costs more in hours, installing on a stock 70s 6-pack with no HSI ...say, a cessna 172? Seems like the hardware costs are similar so looking past capabilities and tradeoffs between the two, just wondering what'd take longer to do?

For reference:
MSRP of the G3X is $7995
MSRP of GI 275 is $3995 AI + $4295 HSI = $8290

Following (if my plane can make the AML for the G3X).

i would think the G3X is going to be more since you have to cut the panel + you get redundancy with the 275

Last edited:
i would think the G3X is going to be more since you have to cut the panel + you get redundancy with the 275
A G3x needs a backup AHRS, so you'll be installing a second GI275 anyway (if it's an approved backup or G5 if it isn't).

A G3x needs a backup AHRS, so you'll be installing a second GI275 anyway (if it's an approved backup or G5 if it isn't).
thats true. i think i heard yesterday 275 can be backup for G1000, 500 and 600, not sure about G3X. and 275 cant drive GFC 500 if thats a requirement as on today, coming later in the year and with GFC 500 at least you do not need the +AP version. something to plan for

That’s part of why Garmin released the Gi275, it fits the existing panel and replaces more existing instruments than just a G5. Also, will you be connecting to a GPS unit for NAV or an autopilot, that will weigh into the cost as well. Unfortunately the G3x will cost more in the long run both in labor but more so in additional parts. Primarily a custom panel is needed and is going to cost $1,500 to $3,000 depending on what plane and what shop is doing the work. The nice thing about the G3x is that it can replace a lot of the existing round dial instruments to reduce failure rate of mechanically spinning instruments. Prior to my upgrades, over the last two years of ownership, I installed a new DG, then the AI failed so I installed a G5 and shortly thereafter the electric turn bank indicator went south and the DG was starting to drift a bunch... I was going to go dual G5’s but I still had to contend with failing turn bank and a full glass panel was the ultimate goal. While it was more expensive than just dual G5’s or Gi275’, I got what I wanted in the long run. I figure why do the work twice and pay more but your pocket book will dictate the end result. It’s chepaer to pay some interest for a loan than to redo or upgrade only a short while later. FYI, at this time the 275 can’t be used as a backup to the G3x per the STC and I suspect that is because the 275 cannot control the GFC500. It is in the works but no definitive timeline has been provided.

Back