7/15 Attempted Military Coup in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I turned on the TV about an hour ago and that was the first thing I saw.

I wonder what it'll look like in another 12 hours.

CNN said that helicopter was shot down by an F16.

Both sides are claiming victory,should be interesting in the morning.

Looks like the army doesn't want to fire on civilians, and it looks like the police are on the government's side. This could get all kinds of crazy.

Wow. I've been talking to the translator I used on my trip to Turkey for the simulator contract. He says that he's staying home, but news channels are telling citizens to go into the streets and fight for the government. He says police and military personnel are fighting, there are civilians climbing on tanks, people are in the street, he hears explosions and his windows are shaking. He's trying to sleep for work in the morning. I don't think there will be work to go to...

So which side is the correct side? Always the question that has so much gray. Several of the larger MSM are saying it's over, but there are conflicting reports on twitter and other small news services.

So which side is the correct side? Always the question that has so much gray. Several of the larger MSM are saying it's over, but there are conflicting reports on twitter and other small news services.

I believe "We" are on the side of the military.
If I understand correctly (And I totally may not) The military is on the side of women being able to vote and not get treated like crap.
I think the government is somewhat isisish

If I understand correctly (And I totally may not) The military is on the side of women being able to vote and not get treated like crap.

Whatever side they're on, I have to give the civilians credit for some serious scrotal weight for taking to the streets and standing up to the Army.

I also have to give CNN credit for articulating what modern mass communication is all about. Even while broadcasting the attempted overthrow of a government, they didn't let the content get in the way of the endless stream of inane commercials.

Rich

Not really. As was said this evening on CNN: we (the USA) by policy support the democratically elected leader.

It is hard to support the military there right now since the military is NOT united in this. It is a faction within the military.

Not really. As was said this evening on CNN: we (the USA) by policy support the democratically elected leader.

It is hard to support the military there right now since the military is NOT united in this. It is a faction within the military.

I wasn't referring to contractually. More just standing up for what is right.
I heard on the radio so take that for what it s worth that the gov't is all about this celophate (Which I admittedly don't fully understand but associate with ISIS which may be wrong also) What I heard was the military was fighting to overthrow the government in an effort to create more freedoms. Again, all that was my intrepretation I got from a fairly right wing radio... OH it was that red diaper doper baby guy. with the thick New York accent.... What the hell is his name?

Edit: Michael Savage. That's the guy. He is annoying but I gave him 5 minutes of my drive home.

My understanding of the Turkish constitution is that the military protects it, and it declares Turkey as a secular democracy. If Turkey turns towards becoming an Islamic state, the military feels it is its duty to step in, overthrow the government, step back and hold new elections.

What's happening there might not be unconstitutional, but that will depend on who wins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Turkey

I heard on the radio so take that for what it s worth that the gov't is all about this celophate (Which I admittedly don't fully understand but associate with ISIS which may be wrong also)

The word you're looking for is "Caliphate"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate

Depending on your flavor of Muslimism (is that a word?) either an elected official that's religious, or a religious chosen one who's in government power. Kinda.

The word you're looking for is "Caliphate"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate

Depending on your flavor of Muslimism (is that a word?) either an elected official that's religious, or a religious chosen one who's in government power. Kinda.

Nice Try, I think you are thinking of the plastic film you wrap your food in to keep it fresh.
I am pretty sure I am right on this one.

Yeesh. Kids these days.

I'm kinda warming up to the idea of a military that tosses the government out on their butts on a regular basis... Reading more about this. Could be all sorts of fun here. :)

One of the many problems is that turkey is becoming less secular and moving to a more Islamic state.

This might have been a shot across the bow from the military - a reminder to the government not to swing too far from a the democracy the military has the duty to protect. If the soldiers and commanders involved are not executed, but let off easy, that might be an indication.

We are on the side of the democratically elected government.

We are on the side of whatever is in our best interests.

Our government officially declared yesterday that we are on the side of their current President.

We need to stop taking sides in every conflict in the world. Let them work it out. We need to focus on our issues here at home.

John Quincy Adams' speech to Congress, July 4, 1821

Long version:
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/speech-on-independence-day/

Excerpts:
http://millercenter.org/president/jqadams/speeches/speech-3484

tl;dr:
>>
Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force. The frontlet upon her brows would no longer beam with the ineffable splendor of freedom and independence; but in its stead would soon be substituted an imperial diadem, flashing in false and tarnished lustre the murky radiance of dominion and power. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.
<<

We need to stop taking sides in every conflict in the world. Let them work it out. We need to focus on our issues here at home.
You would think we would have learned after using the CIA and overthrowing a democracy in Iran , installing the shah, then siding with Iraq against them , providing sadam with lots of weapons. We have not learned anything. Our current "issues" at home include unemployment under five percent and the stock market at an all time high. Not bad.

You would think we would have learned after using the CIA and overthrowing a democracy in Iran , installing the shah, then siding with Iraq against them , providing sadam with lots of weapons. We have not learned anything. Our current "issues" at home include unemployment under five percent and the stock market at an all time high. Not bad.
It goes way beyond Iran and Iraq and our stupid undying support and love of israel. Vietnam was stupid. Our manipulations in South America were and are stupid. Our continued sabre rattling around the world is pure idiocy. Our funding of foreign causes with tax dollars that would be better spent at home or left in the US citizen's paycheck is nothing short of foolhardy and possibly even criminal. Just think of the good we could do at home if we redirected our energies and our capital where it should be.

Yes the stock market is doing well. But that fact is not a big deal for the large number of Americans who do not have enough money or savvy to invest in it. Though it is good news for most of us on this board. The unemployment rate is misleading as it only considers those who are not working but are looking for work. Those who have given up looking, are homeless or are drawing a welfare check are not included. We have many issues that need our attention here in the US. These include but not limited to a crumbling infrastructure, high crime rates, worsening race relations, mental health issues, the homeless, disparity in income, the immigration issue and a couple of extremely bad choices for a leader to get us out of the mess. I could go on but as the mods always say, no spin zone.

Now see, I was not pointing fingers at the current POTUS or the previous one or at any particular congress as these issues have been going on for a very long time including times when both parties have had total control of the White House and both houses of Congress. Why do you see a need to do so?

If you want to talk about current events, please do so without devolving into which president is stupid and which policies are stupid.

The USA isn't completely secular. "In God We Trust" is on our money and "one nation under God" is in our pledge of allegiance. Both are there due to laws passed. God. That's religion. Shall not establish. Yet they established. Hmmm....

Just because some thing was done/passed illegally doesn't make it legal.

Just because some crooks say its legal, doesn't make it so, just makes it common place.

And with that, this thread is officially closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back