7.1 hours yesterday

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
7.1 hours with my instructor. Landed at Peoria, (PIA), Columbia (COU), Rockford(RFD), and Exec (PWK). We had lunch in Columbia with my son. Visited the frat house (yikes). Learned all about the Avidyne. Gained more proficiency in 430. Learned great techniques doing IFR planning, including making decisions about route of travel. Battled head/cross winds of 40-50 plus knots every leg except RFD to exec. Learned how to correct and deal. Learned ATC communications in IFR flight. Encountered wind shear and clear air turbulence (that made me a bit uncomfortable but he taught me some great relaxation techniques to deal with it) Encountered dealing with geese (ie a flock flying directly to us right after takeoff) Encountered a faulty tach with bad magneto sensor. Learned so much it was incredible. This guy is really is a great instructor. I was so tired after that I slept like a baby last night. 7.5 hours solid sleep. Incredibly fun and an enlightening experience.

Only problem was I couldn't say hi to Dr. Bruce at 3MY. The xwind was 25 knots, on a sloping runway, with potential ice on runway. Wasn't about to push it.

Sounds like you had a good day. I flew 11.8 yesterday with about six hours suspended in air. Had to tighten belt pretty firm. Had several times I was showing 125 indicated and 75 ground. Nasty winds everywhere. My route was PCM-ALX-TKX-GPH-LNK. Best part was the last leg with only a 19kt headwind. I slept well also.

CPA, care to share the 'relaxation techniques'?

Just slow breathing exercises.

Work at them enough and you can drop your heart rate by almost 50%. I can get my blood pressure to drop by about 20% as well. Is he having you "fill your stomach" first when you breathe?

Stopped in to see Dr. Chien and get my medical renewed Friday. Was sure glad I didn't try it in my 172 as the winds were incredible on the ground at Mount Hawley. As we walked to my car I saw what looked to be a Bo pass over eastbound.

7.1 hours with my instructor. Landed at Peoria, (PIA), Columbia (COU), Rockford(RFD), and Exec (PWK). We had lunch in Columbia with my son. Visited the frat house (yikes). Learned all about the Avidyne. Gained more proficiency in 430. Learned great techniques doing IFR planning, including making decisions about route of travel. Battled head/cross winds of 40-50 plus knots every leg except RFD to exec. Learned how to correct and deal. Learned ATC communications in IFR flight. Encountered wind shear and clear air turbulence (that made me a bit uncomfortable but he taught me some great relaxation techniques to deal with it) Encountered dealing with geese (ie a flock flying directly to us right after takeoff) Encountered a faulty tach with bad magneto sensor. Learned so much it was incredible. This guy is really is a great instructor. I was so tired after that I slept like a baby last night. 7.5 hours solid sleep. Incredibly fun and an enlightening experience.

Only problem was I couldn't say hi to Dr. Bruce at 3MY. The xwind was 25 knots, on a sloping runway, with potential ice on runway. Wasn't about to push it.
Hey, this is tax season, sir. Get back to work. :D

What were you flying?

I'm doing KFRG KHPN KRIC KFRG tomorrow. It should take around 7 hrs. Plus I'm building time so I'm going to be using less power than normal. This will be last time building flight before I start Commercial training

Well you certainly got some me time. Hope you enjoyed every minute of it.

Other than clear air turbulence, wind shear, and using an agressive manouver to avoid a flock of geese heading right to me after take off in Columbia MO, yes I did.

Back