6Y9 FlyIn "Great Success,Ya"

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Thanks to all who made it, to the new and the veterans, and those who tried (Adam). We acheived a new record attendance of aircraft, 24, with Scott taking top honors of being the new and improved "Mr. 24 guy."
But wait there's more ,as I was prepping my plane to leave ,a shiny little Zenith Hi wing(#25) dropped in and wondered where everybody was. Demon (Devon) was there and got another first ride. Then spread the word and kids came out of the woodwork. As I flew out he was still giving rides. Latter I got a call from Diz and a Cessna 210(#26)stopped in,he may want to build a hanger there!

Last year 21, this year 26, awesome.

Back to the thank yous. Thanks to Chris and Rachel for working with the kids, they are the future of aviation. Thanks to Grant and Kent for giving rides to the locals, it helps keep support for the airfield. Thanks to Greg from Diz and I for the ride,it was great,what a beautiful bird. Thanks Barb for the open fire cooked bacon. Special thanks should go to Rueben Collins for the rescue from my haywagon fiasco, sorry about leaving you guys out with the bears and wolves. Clark, thanks for making the longest journey this year,although I think you were tied at least time wise with my cousin Mike and his Champ 6 1/2hrs.

Thanks, (I think I mean thanks) Dr.Bruce for giving Diz a ride in the Seneca, all I heard was how smoooooth, and faaaast,and quiiiiet,and rooooomy it was. I'm sure this will cost me some big bucks in an aircraft upgrade.That may be a good thing!!! I know I forgot some thank yous as my brain is fried right now, so thanks to all for what I've missed.

And the biggest thanks goes to Diz as without her hard work,planning, and organization, this Fly-In would not happen. She has put up with me and my dreams for the last 39 years,how can I thank her enough, oh yeah, how about a shiny new Seneca.

So all in all Prickett Grooms 2009 was a great one, Thanks to all for being part of it.
Safe Flying,
Brad

P.S. Steingar, your Cherokee may be a lot of things, but one thing it IS NOT: A bush plane. :D

Even though I wasn't there, I can say (same as last year), all the thanks go to Brad and Diz for putting on such a great event. I'm just sorry I wasn't there this year!

It must be terrible to have a wife picking you out a new plane... ; )

The real thanks go to you and Diz.

I for one really appreciate all you do for us when we come. I for one realize what it takes just to provide us with a CLEAN place to shower. Thanks a bunch.

This is something not just anyone gets to do. I feel privileged and thankful.

Missa

In addition to the Thanks You's that Brad posted, I want to add a few.

THANK YOU to BRAD (for reopening the airport, and working tirelessly to maintain and improve it) to DIZ (for all her work putting the event together, not to mention putting up with her menfolk), to ED (for managing the airport and getting Brad his pilot certificate), to the extended family who showed up and helped run the show, and to ALL THE ATTENDEES, fliers and townies, who make the event what it is!

BTW, I think that Chris gave a ride or two too, at least to Greg, and I know that Brad intended to include him too.

Many, many thanks for the outstanding hospitality. They even cooked my veggie burgers. You have a really beautiful place there, and I will do my best to return. The trip up was incredibly scenic.

P.S. Steingar, your Cherokee may be a lot of things, but one thing it IS NOT: A bush plane. :D

I disagree. The Free Bird can do just about anything if flown within its operational limits. On the other hand I am, admittedly, not a bush pilot.

Many, many thanks for the outstanding hospitality. They even cooked my veggie burgers. You have a really beautiful place there, and I will do my best to return. The trip up was incredibly scenic.

I disagree. The Free Bird can do just about anything if flown within its operational limits. On the other hand I am, admittedly, not a bush pilot.

We'll have to get you some non-standard-FAA instruction. The FAA short field practices suck ass. They go against every law of physics there is. I wasn't there to see the take-offs, but from what was described we need to add something to your bag of tricks.

We'll have to get you some non-standard-FAA instruction. The FAA short field practices suck ass. They go against every law of physics there is. I wasn't there to see the take-offs, but from what was described we need to add something to your bag of tricks.

There was only one take off. :D
(And two high speed taxi tests of your runway)

More in the bag of trick may be in order (you can never have enough tricks), but I for one would like to add a comment that the ADM was spot on.

Missa

More in the bag of trick may be in order (you can never have enough tricks), but I for one would like to add a comment that the ADM was spot on.
I fully agree with that! It's never wrong to recognize that you may have an issue and put a stop to the chain of events that can lead to an accident. It sounds like Michael recognizes that there may be room for improvement in his technique in this area, however. I know there are several areas where my technique could stand improvement, too!

I cannot disagree. My short field experience is woeful at best, and I had only come close to the situation at 6Y9 once. You should know that the Free Bird is banned from grass strips by its owner with only two exceptions, and 6Y9 is one of them. However, more training is always good, and I think it is a very good idea to master bush pilot techniques in case you ever have to squeeze yourself into a tight space in a pinch.

I cannot disagree. My short field experience is woeful at best, and I had only come close to the situation at 6Y9 once. You should know that the Free Bird is banned from grass strips by its owner with only two exceptions, and 6Y9 is one of them. However, more training is always good, and I think it is a very good idea to master bush pilot techniques in case you ever have to squeeze yourself into a tight space in a pinch.

Yeah, I'm not coming down on anyone for any decisions that were made. Everyone got out safely. But like my thread in the hangar a couple weeks back, we pilots need to safely expand our envelope at times. One never knows when the weather forecast is shot to hell, and they may have to put down at a field that is right at the capabilities of the pilot or the plane. The plane we can't always improve, but pilots we can!

Yeah, I'm not coming down on anyone for any decisions that were made. Everyone got out safely. But like my thread in the hangar a couple weeks back, we pilots need to safely expand our envelope at times. One never knows when the weather forecast is shot to hell, and they may have to put down at a field that is right at the capabilities of the pilot or the plane. The plane we can't always improve, but pilots we can!

plus one

May I say I was not implying that anyone was implying that there was any failure anywhere.

I just wanted to publicaly state what a fine job of ADM that I thought Steingar did on Sunday. (and now I go to state it twice!)

And I should state what a wonderful copilot Missa turned out to be. Assisted me in ADM, but not in a confrontational manner. She also helped a great deal with pilotage. The GPS was flaky in the UP, and Missa handled all the pilotage; a huge comfort flying over all that water. That, and of course keeping me entertained with engaging conversation. Give her a big hands up, she deserved it.

I'm a yooper newbie and a 6Y9 newbie, so I was doubly impressed with all that was put on this past weekend. I only wished I had more time to spend there (and more disposable income to donate towards such a cool cause as rejuvinating a grass strip)

Thanks again not only to the Fredricks (all of them) who made this happen, but to everyone else who made it up. What is better than hanging out with a bunch of other pilots?

I'm a yooper newbie and a 6Y9 newbie, so I was doubly impressed with all that was put on this past weekend. I only wished I had more time to spend there (and more disposable income to donate towards such a cool cause as rejuvinating a grass strip)

Thanks again not only to the Fredricks (all of them) who made this happen, but to everyone else who made it up. What is better than hanging out with a bunch of other pilots?

Hanging out with the Swedish Bikini Ski Team? :D

For the guys next year I'll try and sign up the Swedish Bikini Ski team'
Girls what do you want??

For the guys next year I'll try and sign up the Swedish Bikini Ski team'
Girls what do you want??

I still want to see a moose and a bear!!!

Thanks Brad and Diz for everything you guys did to put on the flyin. Coming to Sidnaw is beginning to feel like coming to a family reunion.

Barb

Great success? Ya, youbetcha! Youse guys have a done a great job creating a fly-in paradise and a honey of a fly-in. :cheerswine:

It must be terrible to have a wife picking you out a new plane... ; ) Missa

And what's wrong with the wife helping to pick out the new airplane...especially if it means she will be flying, too? :cornut:

(FYI...This comment is prompted by a conversation Greg and I had with Diz Friday night...enough said.)

But what if the hay wagon were to mysteriously break down just as we sighted a bear? Would you get to keep all the planes abandoned there by their now deceased owners?:idea::fingerwag:

I can see the headline now...

Sidnaw Daily Dirt said:
Largest flight school in the UP started at Sidnaw, featuring everything from a Tri-Pacer to an Aztec. Chief flight instructor Ed Frederick says "I don't know what happened, but all these planes mysteriously showed up one day. I thought it'd be a great opportunity to start a flight school!"

You guy's are too funny.
All I was thinking was turning the school into a "house of ill repute" and using the merry go round for the "wheel of fornication"
Diz say's you guy's have better idea's:dunno:
Thank's for all the good word's:cheerswine:

You guy's are too funny.
All I was thinking was turning the school into a "house of ill repute" and using the merry go round for the "wheel of fornication"
Diz say's you guy's have better idea's:dunno:
Thank's for all the good word's:cheerswine:

I'm sorry . . . this is just plain funny :rofl:

WOW! What a great weekend! Great weather....well except for the cool nights- I'll work on that "improvement" over the next few years. Maybe by the time Barb completes her next 35 year commitment, I'll have that down to a science.

A big thanks to all who were able to show up. It was great to see everyone. I think we have a contest starting for "charter members." Grant, I'm a broken record, but without pilots, there is no fly in. So a big, big thanks to all of you!

To the newbies that came- by all indications it sounds like you will all try and be back again. Welcome to the 6Y9 family!

There is quite the list of those who we missed: Adam (that everything happens for a reason thing just doesn't fit here) Jesse, Nick, Richard, Kate, Ted, Tony, Leah, Tristan... if I've forgotton anyone, it's not intentional...

Though I wasn't personally introduced, I did get to see Hayden from a distance. But now I hear he's all over the place so I missed that opportunity.

Jane at Hoppy's said the kids games were the best new thing we did. Who knew? Thanks Rachel for jumping on that and it has opened up the door to have a couple of the local young moms get on board for next year. See what you started? YEAH! And hopefully you'll be able to be back to make that part even better for next year. It's your baby!

Bruce and Greg- thanks so much for the rides. Two totally different experiences, both thoroughly enjoyed. BTW Bruce and Sue- thanks for the refreshing watermelon and the cooler full of other goodies. What a great addition to the end of lunch.

I took over 500 photos over the weekend (with my Canon xti rebel and 18-250 Tamron lens- was that Scott that was asking about that?) After I edit them down I will have Ed post them on the website.

First time for no four wheeling....what's up with that?

And here's a big "IF"......If I ever do have to pick out a plane for "him"- Sharon- you will be the first one I call to help me do that. The "encouragement" I get to learn to fly has an ulterior motive for someone who will remain nameless...ahem...would be total justification to get another plane. For those who know what SISU means, (you'd best learn about it if you're going to continue to come to Sidnaw) it means that someone just bought themself a battle.

I would like to say that the hayride fiasco was orchestrated to add to the uniqueness of the 6Y9 activities. Perhaps I should request a higher quality birthday present from now on. Since I didn't get an official one...for a significant year that WILL REMAIN PRIVATE....if anyone gives that up please refer to the SISU remark...a friend of mine emailed me about an Ercoupe just outside the city....just for me (is someone paying attention?)

There was just one pilot that stuck to their word upon arrival. Kudos to you and good job! You know who you are and what I mean- was great to see you again and hope you'll be back. I'll teach you some tricks for riding the 4-wheeler. "I'm an excellent driver, definitely and excellent driver."

If I've forgotten to mention something, I'll add it later, but for now I will expect that thread will completely die now......Leslie are you with me?

I must not have been paying attention as I can't decifer 1/2 of what Diz posted.

I must not have been paying attention as I can't decifer 1/2 of what Diz posted.

"It's called reading. Group words together to form sentences. Left to right, top to bottom. Take Tylenol for any headaches, Midol for any cramps."

"It's called reading. Group words together to form sentences. Left to right, top to bottom. Take Tylenol for any headaches, Midol for any cramps."

vicodin-house-md-389055_800_600.jpg

I would have happily gone 4-wheeing at any point, I love those things. If I hadn't been so whipped I would have traded airplane rides for dirtbike time.

First time for no four wheeling....what's up with that?

I would have happily gone 4-wheeing at any point, I love those things. If I hadn't been so whipped I would have traded airplane rides for dirtbike time.

I missed the 4-wheeling trips this year, but it seemed like a different crowd than previous years. It didn't seem like a '4-wheeling' crowd for some reason. People seemed pretty content to sit in the (shrinking ;)) shade, so I never brought up the 4-wheeler rides.

One of these years, Diz, you will have to take me out on the 'good' trails. ;)

I missed the 4-wheeling trips this year, but it seemed like a different crowd than previous years. It didn't seem like a '4-wheeling' crowd for some reason. People seemed pretty content to sit in the (shrinking ;)) shade, so I never brought up the 4-wheeler rides.

One of these years, Diz, you will have to take me out on the 'good' trails. ;)

I would have loved to go... then we had to get going and a good thing to or I'm not sure we would have made Columbus on Monday.

Definitely not paying attention - I found it quite clear and rather entertaining.
(Now, what does that say about me?? :confused:)

I would like to say that the hayride fiasco was orchestrated to add to the uniqueness of the 6Y9 activities. Perhaps I should request a higher quality birthday present from now on. Si
The hayride was NOT by any stretch a fiasco!!

It was fun, unique, and I for one thought it a bit of a hoot! I am sad that the hay wagon broke to be sure, but everything turned out ok, there was no lose of life that we know of ;). Plus it gave us a great quote: "I'll have to remember to stop and pick people up because they will just hand over all their women!"

Diz, you were a great passenger. And you're right, they're to TOTALLY DIFFERENT aircraft with different missions. The Seneca is designed to get the Watermelon there! Thank you Brad for the loan of your spouse.

Personally, though, I like Greg's 195. It's more fun. The Seneca is designed to get through most weather, climb, and have some redundancy and isn't really any good on the "fun" strips.

Hmmmn. "Fun", or "get there". It's a draw.

I really didn't witness any fiascoes, except maybe Ed spilling half the eggs on the fire. But even then there were more eggs.

I was writing in Dizvinci Code... only those who truly understand can figure out the code....of course being dizfunctional helps tremendously :wink2:

One of these years, Diz, you will have to take me out on the 'good' trails. ;)[/quote]
And of course I messed up the quote box here....dizasterous attempt.:confused:

Would love to take a more daring group out...this requires a couple of things regarding you two. Chris you have to move close by & Michael you have to return to 6Y9.

And hey-- this time the thread didn't die.

Back